News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for CityLights3

Member Name: CityLights3
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Tony Awards Eligibility 2023-2024  Apr 26 2024, 06:18:31 PM

I’m still unclear where MARY JANE is being considered. 
Best Play?  Best Revival of a Play?

Guettenberg and Appropriate eventually had specific mentions when they were being considered Revivals.  While the Drama League and Outer Critics Circle have nominated it in the best revival category, I felt fairly certain it would be considered as such for the Tony’s considering their interpretations of the rules this year. However, I see no announcement

2024 Tony Awards  Jan 31 2024, 12:41:03 AM

Hmmm.  Wonder what this means for MARY JANE as well.  Produced first at YALE REP in Spring 2017, at NYTW in Fall 2017, both with different casts, both directed by its Broadway director Anne Kauffman with MANHATTAN THEATRE CLUB producing this time around.  While we know the lead will be  different from either of those productions, we don’t have a full cast announcement yet to my knowledge.  It was nominated for 7 Lortell Awards, and won 1 Drama Desk, 1 Obie, and

SUMMER, 1976 Reviews  Apr 26 2023, 09:38:17 AM

Exceptional reviews.  Quite possibly game changing.  The review that says not everything (including great performances like Jodi Comer) needs to be dialed up to an 11 hit the nail on the head.  Yes, it probably could have run for 8 months with this cast off Broadway, but to have a tranquil yet poignant and meaningful play like this on Broadway is somehow cathartic.  Amongst all the chaos and bombastic pounding of timely plays and musicals being produced, this one that take

Drama League 2023 Distinguished Performance Award  Apr 24 2023, 11:02:27 PM

I know Jessica Hecht & Laura Linney (yet again) are in an uphill battle for Lead Actress for Summer, 1976 with Jodie Comer giving that blistering performance nightly.  However, after seeing and being completely won over yet again by the two of them in a show I just shouldn’t have like but really did, I can’t see them nominating one but not the other. 

2022 Tony Award Performances  Jun 10 2022, 09:53:13 PM

That list of presenters is almost an A++ of everyone you’d want at 1 TONY telecast, but what does 2 Time TONY winner Donna Murphy have to do to join the ranks of presenters on a more regular basis?   No disrespect to the folks we see year after year, it wouldn’t be a TONY night without them, but Ms Murphy has only appeared at the 5 telecasts where she has been nominated.  It would have been a divine year to capitalize on the continuing career highs for Tony nominee &

Tom Stoppard's LEOPOLDSTADT to open on Broadway in 2022-23 season  Jun 7 2022, 08:43:42 PM

This sounds like one of the biggest snoozefests to hit Broadway in quite awhile.  With so much quality making it’s way to Broadway and off Broadway, hell even the massive amounts of exceptional television currently being produced, why would anyone want to throw away hard earned money on this?  To each their own I guess, but this just sounds like a big ol bust. 

Tony Presenters  Jun 7 2022, 08:37:34 PM

BCfitasafiddle said: "Bernadette presents Best Musical I presume?"

When Bernadette presents Best Musical all seems right with the world.  It just makes sense.  It’s like Bert Parks crowning Miss America or Walter Cronkite delivering the nightly news.  I even enjoy when Harvey Fierstein joins her some years and the Mayor and First Lady of the American Musical Theatre award the evenings final prize. 

TAKE ME OUT Previews  Jun 3 2022, 08:45:19 PM

MadsonMelo said: "CarlosAlberto said: " And they might win because I dont know any competition for Revival (Colored? Drive?)"

Honestly, I think Revival of a Play is one of the most competitive categories of the entire night and I could honestly see it go to HOW I LEARNED TO DRIVEfor colored girls who have considered suicide / when the rainbow is enuf, or TAKE ME OUT.   

For me the vote is easy, it would be a slam dunk for DRIVE.  Paula Vogel having never won a Tony Award seems like a wrong that simply needs righted and there will never be a production better than the one at the Friedman.  This is only Vogels 2nd Tony nomination.  

TAKE ME OUT while a very solid effort never hit the heights of the original for me.  Is Richard Greenberg still a master of words and overly intelligent human? Absolutely.  That the original Take Me Out and The Assembled Parties are his only plays to have received Best Play nominations seems surprising, but I just don’t see this play toppling the behemoth that is Paula Vogels Drive.

and  while for colored girls who have considered suicide / when the rainbow is enuf’s Ntozake Shange never won a Tony before leaving us too early, this production while assured and moving was not nearly as cathartic or shattering as it’s original.  The air seemed to be let out of the show for me in certain areas but on a whole certainly remains an important piece of art and poetry and I could see it’s supports putting it on top as well.  

NYT Tony Awards 2022: Who Will Win (and Who Should)  May 19 2022, 07:18:25 PM

Trouble In Mind…Best Play Revival…WILL WIN

LaChanze…Lead Actress in a Play…WILL WIN

With NO disrespect to the production or LaChanze’s performance in it.  What the hell is he smoking?

In my minds eye and anyone that I have talked to, could not be more certain that Mary Louise Parker is taking home her third Tony Award in that category.  

And as big fan of this production of HOW I LEARNED TO DRIVE, I would

Sara Bareilles, Christian Borle, Ashley Park, and Heather Headley to Lead Encores Into The Woods  May 15 2022, 12:13:37 PM

ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "Remember, the Public ITW was "coming to Broadway" until Amy Adams said no and then it died. Many iterations of the film died over the years. This all comes down to the onstage talent involved."

The New York Times also did not help any with any realistic transfer for that version.  Ben Brantley: “It breaks my heart to chalk up this production as another example of thwarted hopes but theatergoers may find themselves c

How I Learned To Drive  May 12 2022, 05:10:34 PM

Looks like 2 more weeks were just added.  Now on-sale through Tony Sunday June 12.

2022 Tony Awards Poll  May 9 2022, 10:47:08 PM
There’s an error in your survey. Phylicia Rashad is missing from Featured Actress. I think the category results would be different with her name on your ballot.
AMERICAN BUFFALO Reviews  Apr 30 2022, 04:18:27 PM

I’m assuming this case may have contributed to the Tony nominations announcement week delay.  With all of the productions opening the past two weeks, it seems virtually impossible that all 50 Tony nominators got to see Fishburne between opening night and his first day out after having tested positive.  Assuming he returns this weekend Or at the latest Tues of next week, it still is a tight window to get them all in, but doable I suppose. 

2022 Tony Awards Predictions  Apr 27 2022, 09:44:20 PM

Don’t anyone count out Sutton Foster. Her best? No.  But bad? Not at all.  A beloved vet with 2 Tonys in the bag.  Patti might not be the only one winning their 3rd come Tony night.  

Drama League Award Nominations 2022  Apr 25 2022, 06:50:48 PM

The perplexing nature of these nominations aside, I’d narrow the top 5 down to:

Ruben Santiago Hudson, David Morse, Sharon D Clarke, Sutton Foster  or Billy Crystal.

Hudson welcomed back Broadway audiences with his rapturous performance as a couple dozen characters in Lackawanna Blues and also directed Skeleton Crew.

David Morse is giving my favorite performance of the entire season in my unexpectedly favorite production of the season.

Sha

How I Learned To Drive  Apr 20 2022, 09:43:46 AM

HOW I LEARNED TO DRIVE Reviews  Apr 20 2022, 08:17:57 AM

I stand by my earlier statement, best reviewed production of the season so far.  There’s just something very special about this production.   MLP & DM are clear award front runners imo, and honoring Paula Vogels pretty outstanding work should probably garner this production Best Revival as well. 

HOW I LEARNED TO DRIVE Reviews  Apr 19 2022, 07:59:27 PM

I wouldn’t be surprised if this was the best reviewed Broadway show of the entire season to date. 

THE SKIN OF OUR TEETH Previews  Apr 16 2022, 12:12:03 PM

Sorry Folks, this one was a solid miss for me.  Clearly all Pulitzer Prize wins are not created equal. Of the past Pulitzer play revivals  this season, HOW I LEARNED TO DRIVE fares the best with possibly the best production this play has ever seen.  TAKE ME OUT is a close runner up with its elevated language and solid performers, the direction was not as taught as the original and the over all production just left me pleased instead of in awe as I was the first time around. &nb

HOW I LEARNED TO DRIVE Previews  Apr 5 2022, 09:45:26 AM

Having read the play 20 years ago and having seen the Second Stage production 10 years ago,  I was trepidatious going into this again.  What a fool I was.  This production of this play is outstanding and frankly, should be shown to theatre students in universities across the globe.  This production, be it simple yet thought provokingly poignant, proves two things.  1) “The play’s the thing.”  Paula Vogels work here is one of the best Pulitzer Pr

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You