News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for scribbler23

Member Name: scribbler23
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Elaine Stritch Biographies
 Nov 5 2019, 10:43:23 AM

I read "Still Here" a couple of weeks ago.  I was disappointed, frankly.   There just wasn't enough in-depth analysis of why Stritch behaved so badly to everyone.  Her family life was portrayed as loving.  She really didn't have a lot of personal drama.  She made some bad career decisions and maybe that was the reason she drank so much and was just such a demon to people, but that's my interpretation, not the author's.  For someone

LINDA VISTA - LA
 Jan 15 2019, 10:58:09 AM

KJisgroovy said: ""I liked it A LOT more than Letts's THE HERD, which was his most recent play at Steppenwolf. "

The Herd is a quite lovely family playby Rory Kinnear and played at Steppenwolf two seasons before Linda Vista. The Minutes was Tracy Letts most recent play at Steppenwolf and probably what you meant to type.
"

Yes, of course; I was mistaken.  It was "The Minutes."  Thanks for the correction.

LINDA VISTA - LA
 Jan 12 2019, 01:29:02 PM

I saw it in Chicago during the original run; it looks like it's the same cast for LA.  I enjoyed it a lot, despite the fact that it's yet another "middle-aged white guy going through a crisis" play.  I had no memory of the run time being 3 hours, though!  Like others have said, it didn't seem like it.  And the actors are very brave, particularly in the very explicit (for stage) sex scenes.  Worth seeing, for sure.  I liked it A LOT more

Betty Buckley out yesterday.
 Nov 11 2018, 12:28:01 PM

Bette's Turban said: "Mister Matt said: "It doesn't help that this is a TERRIBLE time to bring a show into Chicago. The weather is traditionally awful (everybody gets sick during the annual Halloween cold snap) and the run ends before the tourists come in for the holidays. The nearby Christkindlmarket, which brings LOADS of people daily into the Loop doesn't open until the final two days of performances."

It also doesn't help that there i

Betty Buckley out yesterday.
 Nov 11 2018, 12:50:06 AM

Betty Buckley was in tonight (10/10), but had no energy, sounded frail, didn't seem able to really do the choreography, either (she swayed a lot, and moved her arms).  I posted my disappointment with the production, and her casting, in the tour thread, but I'm not surprised I was able to get a good seat day-of-show, and that the theater wasn't exactly full, nor was the audience tapping their toes and humming the songs as they left.  

Betty Buckley in Hello Dolly
 Nov 11 2018, 12:47:54 AM

I just saw this tonight in Chicago.  Very disappointed.  I read on another thread that Betty Buckley's been sick, but she was in tonight.  Maybe that accounts for her very low energy - honestly, she couldn't do the choreography; she could barely lift her feet.  She swayed a lot and waved her arms.  Vocally, she sounded frail.  But I can't help but feel that even 100% healthy, she'd be miscast.  I always think Dolly has to be a force of nature

Tootsie - Chicago tryout
 Sep 19 2018, 11:30:03 AM

Longtime lurker, first time poster...We saw the show on Sept. 18th.  I thought it was pure joy with some work needed.  I didn't mind all the laughing stopping the show; the one-liners were great, and it's nice to have something to laugh at these days.  I will say it's the rare musical where I left thinking about the dialogue and not the music; the score was serviceable but not memorable.  I think they've done a wonderful job of updating this in the MeToo er

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You