News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for musical3

Member Name: musical3
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

FOSSE/VERDON
 Jun 6 2019, 11:50:43 AM

RWPrincess said: "I enjoyed the series for the most part but did find all the time jumps confusing attimes. I’d like to read the book so I’m hopeful that is more chronological.

I found it interesting that Gwen’s son wasn’t part of the series at all aside from showing his conception. I had read that he lived with Gwen and Bob part of the time.

Definitely give Michelle all the awards. I’m not sure how she tops this but I’d like

Kennedy Center Honors '18
 Dec 28 2018, 03:42:35 PM

LYLS3637 said: "Im really surprised no one has mentioned Kelly Clarkson who, vocally, easily offered the best female performance of the night"

I'm a fan, however since I was so unfamiliar with the selection I didn't feel I could comment on it.  I really appreciate super talented who are able to still remain humble vocalists.

Kennedy Center Honors '18
 Dec 27 2018, 10:58:13 PM

Miles2Go2 said: "4. I agree that the video packages seem to be missing something. All the lifetime honorees were very deserving, but the video packages didnt really capture that. They showed highlights from their loves, but didnt chronologically build the story of their lives effectively. Perhaps this was because they rely on the presenters to relay some of this information, but that just isnt as effective in this venue. The presenters should talk about how theyve personally been imp

Previews
 Dec 9 2018, 02:00:33 AM

haterobics said: "musical3 said: "However, for those of us not residing nearby, accommodations are terribly costly. I'd like to think non-profit hotels could be instituted for Broadway fans first and foremost."

But if you want to come to NYC to see Billy Joel, an exhibit at the Met, a sporting event, taking in a holiday show with the Rockettes, then.... they're all not approved and have to paythecurrent hotel rates? I guess it's good that thi

Previews
 Dec 9 2018, 01:30:49 AM

Just a quick post to thank you, tirecage, for returning to share a detailed recap of your experience with this show, and others who also did so.  You clearly delineated the issues involved and it is illustrative how daunting it can be to create a cohesive production.  And, as members on this site have mentioned, appealing to the tastes of a Broadway audience and/or the public at large just underscores the artistic triumphs of those who successfully master such challenges.

Previews
 Dec 8 2018, 12:13:41 PM

robskynyc said: "musical3 said: "I've not been active on this site in some time as you might surmise from my minimal posting history."

you've also only been a member for a month. highly SUS.
"

Oh my.!..Hello robskynyc.  I re-registered recently...my email changed...I was the first 'musical' several years ago and I have more time to post here now.  I'm a classically trained musician and have enjoyed a life lon

Previews
 Dec 8 2018, 02:25:44 AM

BobbyBubby said: "You’re going to question every negative review aren’t you?"

No, not at all.  I've not been active on this site in some time as you might surmise from my minimal posting history.  I just looked briefly at your profile.  We share many favorites in common.  I am genuinely interested in diverse opinions.  I enjoy understanding what appeals to folks (perhaps it's due to my formal education in the behavioral sc

Previews
 Dec 8 2018, 01:36:57 AM

tirecage said: "I never knew a holiday musicalcould make me feel so depressed. And then I saw tonight’s performance of Ruben & Clay’s Christmas Show."

Would you be willing to share a bit more of what made you experience it that way?  It varies rather much from what has been recapped elsewhere.  TIA

Previews
 Dec 8 2018, 12:29:18 AM

Bwayfan292 said: "This show is going to flop, but I can appreciate the fact that they at least tried on the set design, and it doesn’t look THAT hideous."

Were you at tonight's preview?

RUBEN & CLAY’S FIRST ANNUAL CHRISTMAS CAROL FAMILY FUN PAGEANT SPECTACULAR
 Dec 7 2018, 03:40:35 PM

I wish them every success.  They are talented and kind.  I would gladly attend if travel costs weren't so prohibitive.  From reading here again, I more fully understand the concerns raised on this site.  I agree with Kad, I believe it was, that this type of show will probably do better on the road. 

On a bit of a tangent, here is a fantasy I've had for a while. No thorns, please.  I am more than willing to part with sufficient monies so that Br

Hal Prince, A Director's Life - link
 Nov 30 2018, 12:15:00 AM

I was compelled to read more about Mr. Prince.  I found this article:  https://www.theguardian.com/stage/2018/apr/07/harold-prince-theatre-musicals-interview-at-90 and I looked up some books about him.  His recent autobiography received some mixed reviews:  Sense of Occasion.  A biography on him, Harold Prince: A Director's Journey by Carol Ilson had one rave review, any suggestions which would be preferable?

Ruben
 Nov 29 2018, 08:38:04 PM

Thank you Sondheimite for taking the time to lend your insight and theater experience in response to my inquiry.  After watching the Hal Prince documentary, I was struck by his good fortune, as he noted himself, that he could attend numerous shows on Broadway for significantly reduced ticket prices.  What a thrilling time to live close to the theater district. We are all the beneficiaries for his substantial, early education about all things Broadway.

Ruben
 Nov 29 2018, 07:09:52 PM

I'm not familiar with the Home for the Holidays production frequently mentioned in this thread.  Is there a thread on this site documenting the run?  I'm curious to learn what a bit more about the show and why it didn't find an audience.  Also, I gather that the seating capacity for the Imperial Theater is 1417, and the Shubert is about the same size - any thoughts about a better venue for this kind of offering? Sad to read of any show that fails to be of interest.<

Nov 29 2018, 01:09:02 AM

I finally watched this.  It is fantastic.  What rich content - so comprehensive.  I particularly enjoyed how the narrative on his contribution to the theater is broken into topic segments - each segment introduced with delightful drawings.  The archival footage reminded me of some I saw in a course I took about Stephen Sondheim - a rehearsal which included clips of a young Mandy Patinkin and Elaine Stritch - I tried to google it without success.  I totally agree with

Whats the most depressing part of A Chorus Line
 Nov 26 2018, 07:29:59 PM

Bwayfan292 said: "I’m changing my answer. I think it’s the bows. I rewatched the revival cast do “One” and the sad part was the audience didn't know who they were clapping for."

Indeed, as BrodyFosse123 said: "That was Bennett's way of making his point: these people who you learned about and cared about were once again reduced to "One" same faceless person. A chorus dancer in a crowd." I find that so poigna

Nov 26 2018, 03:34:32 AM

THANK YOU for this thread!  This will be my On Demand viewing treat for tomorrow morning.  I would have missed it, otherwise.  Can't wait.  I played in a pit orchestra for Pajama Game - regional theater.  Those were the days.  Good times!

BWW- Amazon reward glitch!
 Nov 26 2018, 02:48:59 AM

I have received that pop up too, only on my iphone but not for this site.  After checking with Verizon, I was told to clear my history.  It still happens infrequently.  When it occurs, I delete the tab from Safari, go to my history and just clear for the last hour and that seems to take care of it.  I do wait a bit to revisit whatever site I was on at the time, however.  It is totally annoying!

Whats the most depressing part of A Chorus Line
 Nov 26 2018, 12:47:04 AM

BrodyFosse123 said: "The legendary "One" finale.

It always breaks my heart when the lights dim on the stage as Zach starts giving his statements after the audition ends and the cast dancers are showing their excitement which leads into the opening strains of "One". As each actor/dancer starts popping onto the stage all dressed in identical costumes, quickly the audience begins to stop recognizingwho the actor/dancer is as they all now all look the same.

Ruben
 Nov 25 2018, 08:40:37 PM

Sondheimite
Again, I've only produced one show so what do I know. BUT if I was producing this show... I'd probably be spending this time promoting/marketing/working onmy show in real ways so that I wouldn't lose all my investors money..."

Is there a thread where posters here share their theater experience?  That's of interest to me.  I've only lurked on this board until recently.  Some time ago, I registered as

Ruben
 Nov 21 2018, 02:31:39 PM

Sondheimite said: "musical3 said: "
It's a family oriented offering and it is on Broadway. It's not designed to be an introduction to musical theater. Fascinating reaction on this thread to what I would consider an innocuous, brief run of holiday entertainment."

You also said, "hope that this offering will help build that interest to ensure future generations of Broadway fans."

What do you really think? Why does your idea seem to change once it's challenged?

Kids will sit through this show bored and antsy. This will, if anything, discourage kids for pursuing theatre.
"

Wow!  My idea hasn't changed at all...challenge away if that is your pleasure.  You really think that attending a nostalgic holiday show will discourage children from attending future Broadway productions and/or pursuing theater?  Youngsters are surely capable of enjoying shows other than Disney offerings, however attentional abilities certainly vary.  I reiterate my hope that a Broadway theater experience would be enjoyable for audiences of all ages and thereby produce long lasting interest in live musical shows.

NOTE:  I'm not MassiveMeGo!  Continued sleuthing Bwayfan292 & Sondheimte. BTW:  Perhaps we share a love for Sondheim, however....

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You