News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for JAS

JAS Profile Photo
Member Name: JAS
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Should B’way Tours Avoid Florida?
 May 19 2023, 08:49:15 AM

Bettyboy72 said: "It’s a shame what is happening in Florida. Art saves lives and heals people. it’s sad that those who are good, noble and loving people in Florida would be punished if tours cancelled. However maybe it would encourage them to move."

I’m sorry, but that sort of a pat answer doesn’t help in any way. I live in a very conservative area of New York City, (yes, they exist) and I lost a dear friend who felt that I was wrong to NO

Sorkin and Sher to revive CAMELOT for Broadway
 Apr 7 2023, 10:54:36 AM

MCfan2 said: "If the cast album is anything to go by (there's a bit of speaking on it as well as singing), Andrews didn't use a French accent. I don't think her character was meant to be French -- she came from another kingdom, but I don't think it was ever specified which one."

Guinevere was from Wales, I believe. 

Sorkin and Sher to revive CAMELOT for Broadway
 Mar 11 2023, 10:28:45 AM

NYadgal said: 
“Arthur, Guenevere, and Lancelot are more fully realized. They are no longer simply a King who wants to rule the land, a reluctant maiden queen, and an ego-defined knight. They are a King without a drop of royal blood who wants to make a difference, an independent thinker of a Queen who has been sent to England by her unenlightened father/king, and a man devoted to the ideals of the Round Table and the people who started it.

Where does the notion that Arthur is a “King without a drop of royal blood” come from? Arthur is the son of King Uther Pendragon, the King of the Britons. So he absolutely IS of royal lineage! The “reveal,” of course, of White’s The Sword in the Stone, is that Arthur (or “Wart&rdquo is completely unaware of any of this until he pulls the sword out of the stone. 

Do you think we'll see a 100th anniversary SHOW BOAT on Broadway?
 Sep 18 2022, 10:45:45 AM

“Since Julie is a Black character, she should be played by a Black actress.”

Not to be picky, but Julie is a biracial character who has survived living in the segregated South and marriage to a white man by passing as white. For the story to be convincing, Julie MUST be able to pass as white. I don’t think a white actress should play the role, but I’m sure there are many, many biracial actresses who would be magnificent!

I would love to see a revival of S

Linda Ronstadt In "The Pirates of Penzance"
 Aug 2 2022, 07:10:43 PM

Ronstadt was no actress—not at all. However, she had star quality coming out of her fingertips. She was so beautiful onstage, and while she couldn’t really deliver the dialogue—they set a few lines to music, so she had two lines of actual spoken dialogue—but she was aptly amusing (no one mentioned the silly, pigeon-toed way she walked around on the stage) It was one of the most charming star performances I’ve ever seen onstage, and the revival remains a high poin

Streisand and the FUNNY GIRL Phenomenon
 Jul 20 2022, 09:29:45 PM

My dear friend Erick, a very talented writer, wrote this piece on Streisand. Feldstein, and the FUNNY GIRL phenomenon. I thought some of you might enjoy reading it and discussing, if your hearts so desire….
https://hudsonreview.com/2022/07/funny-girl-and-the-streisand-phenomenon/?fbclid=IwAR0GEEqykiJGCLq2CqcKCUAUdzFZ8Q1d4enHJEQU3reKilVWWtyeulnhebQ&mibextid=ghrler&fs=e&s=cl#.YtirtjkpAlQ

FUNNY GIRL on Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
 Mar 30 2022, 07:59:35 AM

FindingNamo said: "There's the kinda chatter on this thread that almost got this whole place shut down by one very angry Broadway performer and the crowds that piled on with them. I'd just like to remind a lot of you that you arenot being very supportive of Broadway, which we all love.I mean, most people encourageconstructivecriticism and a little light snark, but really. My word.

Be a people who supports Broadway.
"

Do you think p

Meet the cast of Spielberg's
 Jun 17 2019, 07:18:34 PM
Thanks, Pose2. When I read Ezra’s name, I was thrown off. This definitely clarified!
Meet the cast of Spielberg's
 Jun 17 2019, 06:42:07 PM
Wait.

Is Anybodys no longer being played by a woman, or did the picture and identification get it wrong,

HIGH BUTTON SHOES
 May 9 2019, 12:55:53 AM

raddersons said: "I think the only real qualification is that the score needs to be written by an American composer."

Not entirely true: I believe they need to have been done on Broadway. After all, IRMA LA DOUCE had a French composer and British adspter.

CAROUSEL (2018) Previews
 May 17 2018, 04:23:30 PM

"JSquared2 said:
“ Or here's the crazy thought...maybe you just pop a Xanax and relax and let people see and decide for themselves??"

Or

OR

YOU could act like a mature adult and say, “Wow, someone had a different opinion than mine!” and move on to another post without adding a childish response.

Breaking: New York City Center Gala Will Tribute A CHORUS LINE; LADY IN THE DARK, I MARRIED AN ANGEL Included in Encores! Line-Up
 May 16 2018, 09:10:48 PM

Play Esq. said: "Curious, are your tickets at the same location?"

Yes. We switched once, but we have the same seats every year.

Breaking: New York City Center Gala Will Tribute A CHORUS LINE; LADY IN THE DARK, I MARRIED AN ANGEL Included in Encores! Line-Up
 May 16 2018, 08:56:02 PM

My friend and I just renewed our subscriptions. We’ve been subscribers since the first season, and we love it.

[Edit] I misquoted the ticket price REALLY BADLY, so I apologize for that! LOL

Anyway, I’m very excited for the season: two of these shows are rarely done!!

"Frozen" Toddlers
 May 7 2018, 01:02:31 PM
Shame on the theater and Disney for not sticking to their “Under eight” or whatever it is rule. Given those prices, I would be LIVID if I were sitting next to a toddler.
CAROUSEL (2018) Previews
 May 1 2018, 10:11:16 AM

Schmuli said: "Eleven Tony nominations this morning..... i guess your endless negativity held little to no sway to others, like me, who thoroughly enjoyed the revival. Does it mean they’ll win every category? Of course not. Phenomenal R&H score, beautiful and creative choreography from J Peck, top notch Ballet exports from the NYC Ballet including Amar R and Brittany Pollack, emotionally charged singing by Josh Henry, R Fleming, Alex G, and Lindsay M. Yes it’s a perio

What should the next Encores! musical be?
 Apr 29 2018, 08:36:53 PM

GeorgeandDot said: “I wonder if Herman would finally let Encores! do Mame or Mack & Mabel.

Also, Allegro.”

After the brilliant showing of Mack and Mabel at this year’s Encores! concert, I wouldn’t be surprised if we see it at Encores! at some point.

Allegro was done during the first Encores! season.

CAROUSEL (2018) Reviews
 Apr 12 2018, 10:36:42 PM

Juggalo12 said: "Jordan Catalano said: "https://www.timeout.com/newyork/theater/carousel-review

Four Stars from Time Out NY
"

Um, FIVE stars. Not four. Can you count?

Hey, Nasty—can YOU count? FOUR stars, not five. A word of advice: if you’re gonna snark like a bratty kid, double check before you make a fool of yourself.

CAROUSEL (2018) Reviews
 Apr 12 2018, 10:16:47 PM

Juggalo12 said: "Lindsay is a goddess said: "Moment of truth, people. Time to see if the early negative feedback was justified or not."

The early negative feedback on this board was shameful, to say the least. I mean, people actually commenting and judging a show they have not even seen yet. And even those who have seen it were extra harsh on it for no reason. I saw it about 3 weeks ago and thought it was magnificent from start to finish. You get an even

An Article on Rodgers and Hammerstein’s CAROUSEL
 Apr 7 2018, 02:29:42 PM
With the current, contentious production of CAROUSEL probably frozen by now, I can’t help thinking that this thoughtful, insightful article by Ethan Mordden should’ve been required reading for the current creative team:

https://culturaladvantages.blogspot.com/2018/04/rodgers-and-hammersteins-carousel.html?spref=tw&m=1

CAROUSEL (2018) Previews
 Mar 29 2018, 11:07:25 PM

TheatreRocks said: "To those who have gone, how is "When the Children are Asleep" ?

its my favorite song
"

It’s there, complete (both verses) and nicely done.

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You