News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for chitownbob

chitownbob Profile Photo
Member Name: chitownbob
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

re: The Official 'Throwing a Tony Party' thread
 May 10 2005, 02:58:21 PM
I can't take credit, but they made me laugh..

Tommy Tuna
Bernadette Pitas

May 10 2005, 02:17:28 PM
James LaPineapple in our fruit salad.
 May 10 2005, 02:02:15 PM
You forgot Fromage aux Folles!

EDIT: ok - you didn't forget it...

re: SUNSET BLVD RECORDING - WHICH TO GET
 Apr 29 2005, 07:52:05 AM
I think I have all the major Sunset recordings, and of course I love the OLC. However, I think the German cast recording is amazing. Helen Schneider has Glenn's intensity, but with a much more satisfying singing voice. And the German lyrics are also better than Don Black's original lyrics. Much wittier and more in the spirit of the original screenplay.

I also saw Dianne Carroll in Toronto a few months after the show opened, and I thought Dianne was fantastic. She definately wasn'

re: Sunset Blvd.
 Apr 11 2005, 05:50:04 PM
To expand on the key changes between Patti/Glenn. Not only was the end of WOL changed, but both arias were dropped in key completely. And I hate the fact that all Normas I've seen or heard besides Patti yell out "this time will be BIGGER and BRIGHTER than we knew it..."
re: Photo Coverage: PASSION
 Apr 4 2005, 07:23:00 PM
Well, I think it came from the fact that Audra seemed **really** uncomfortable in the little outfit she was wearing. This was especially transparent to me at Ravinia. At Ravinia, my friend had seats way up close, and she could see off to the side in the wings before the show started. She said Audra was practicing disrobing over and over again (The way the concert's staged, the three leads are shown up front during the first cords. Audra's in a silk robe. She then has to remove it to be in be
re: PASSION at Lincoln Center
 Apr 4 2005, 02:23:20 PM
I loved it. Not my favorite show, but the direction, orchestra, editing, performances were all top notch. I did think the performances came off better at Ravinia - in the telecast, Audra seemed a bit more mellow (not as angry in her breakup scene), Patti seemed a bit more somber (she lost some of the humor I liked at Ravinia). Cerveris improved a lot.

In fact, I got to meet Michael after the show...

re: Best Overtures
 Mar 5 2005, 07:34:12 AM
BEST OVERTURES (in the traditional sense)

-Gypsy
-Funny Girl (Jule Styne is a master)
-Merrily We Roll Along
-Carousel
-Candide (I'm categorizing it as a musical)

BEST OPENINGS

-Sunday In The Park... (Those chords!)
-Sweeney Todd (That whistle!)

and more recently
-Ragtime - the original set design with the stereopticon slides merging and revealing the families all in white.
-Phantom (You gotta admit - The opening is quite impressi

re: Patti LuPone-Matters of the Heart
 Mar 3 2005, 06:58:22 PM
This reminds me of a funny story -

I saw this show about six years ago in Toledo at the reopening of the Valentine Theatre. It was a gala event with a pre and post show reception. I was 19 or 20 at the time, and all the other people at the event were well into their silver years.

I was a little bored since the pre-show reception lasted an hour, but I could drink the champagne. I was drinking several glasses with a nice young girl around my age. She seemed well off, and my

re: Sweet Charity 3/1/05 review
 Mar 3 2005, 12:35:40 PM
The choreography was fun, but I did miss some of the original Fosse stuff including the end of the boxing part of "Rich Man's Frug" when the woman is the only one left standing. I also missed the long ponytail during that whole number - the woman in this version wore a giant feather wig.

I also missed that classic move during "If My Friends..." when Charity makes a circle with her foot on the floor and then slinks forward.

As Magictodo mentioned, some if the choreography almos

re: Sweet Charity 3/1/05 review
 Mar 3 2005, 11:07:29 AM
Hey Magictodo82 - I think I know you

---

Here is my take on the performance:

And I should state that I have never seen the show onstage before.

Overall I really enjoyed it, and was impressed by Ms. Applegate. She really delivered. I read somewhere that people thought she was camera acting - however I didn't get that impression at all. Her charity was sweet, vulnerable and a clumsy. And her singing voice was more than a

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You