News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for Theatreboy49

Theatreboy49 Profile Photo
Member Name: Theatreboy49
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.
Web Site: http://dustinrothbart.com
Blog Address:
Profile: I am a working actor and artistic director in Chicago. Top 3 favorites are Sweeney Todd, Kiss of the Spiderwoman and Lippa's Wild Party

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Doug Wright’s GOOD NIGHT, OSCAR starring Sean Hayes will open at the Belasco April 2023  Sep 19 2022, 12:29:45 PM

This absolutely packed the Goodman in Chicago. So I don't blame them for starting sales off high. This show is a real treat. The play itself is good, not great but Hays is thrilling. I think the performance is tony worthy and I'm excited to see what New Yorkers think come this spring. 

The 75th Annual TONY Awards!  Jun 12 2022, 10:38:50 PM

So happy for Deirdre even though I have MLP winning. Dana H was a special experience. 

That song for In Memorium was indeed a choice...

The 75th Annual TONY Awards!  Jun 12 2022, 10:08:08 PM

The Spring Awakening performance was the best of the night. 

The 75th Annual TONY Awards!  Jun 12 2022, 09:35:58 PM

While in my head I feel like the tribute for Sondheim should have been so much bigger I really loved the simplicity of it. 

The 75th Annual TONY Awards!  Jun 12 2022, 08:54:57 PM

I'm coming into town next week and seeing Mr. Saturday Night (among a couple other things) and after that performance couldn't be more excited. What fun!  

The 75th Annual TONY Awards!  Jun 12 2022, 07:52:34 PM

ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "There's a long way to go in the evening, but team STRANGE LOOP should be a little concerned at this point."

I JUST texted a similar thought to a friend. Very surprising thus far. 

The 75th Annual TONY Awards!  Jun 12 2022, 06:37:05 PM
I haven't posted on here in years! But I'm so excited for tonight's telecast and wanted to be around some theatre loving community. It should be the most competitive telecast in recent years. Especially excited about the Spring Awakening performance.
What is the best Stage Performance You Have Ever Seen?  Nov 12 2018, 02:33:54 AM

Not much of a poster anymore but felt the need to chime in that Patti in Gypsy and Alan Cumming in Macbeth are probably the  best acting performances I've ever witnessed. Phillip Seymour Hoffman in Death of a Salesman was also really something.

Rights to Taboo... the boy George Musical  Apr 3 2018, 12:36:16 PM

Rosie does not control the rights. I'm friends with one of the original broadway cast members and he and I have talked at great length about our joint desire to have a regional production. He said he knows who to contact about it, I believe its one of the producers but sadly dont remember the name he mentioned the last time we talked about it (some months ago). He has also voiced, as previously mentioned in this thread, that George doesnt really want the show produced. It would take someo

2017 TONY Awards Performances  Mar 28 2017, 04:32:10 PM

While Josh won't be with the show any more I still expect him to be heavily featured on the telecast. I expect they will do the prologue into Dust and Ashes. It just makes the most sense. However, I too would love to see them do Balaga or The Duel. I want to see them show off the staging as much as they can. Dear Evan Hansen will do You Will Be Found. Face to Face is a smart choice for War Paint if they perform. I think if Gavin gets a nom as well they'd opt to do Sunday Clothes. An I

HEDWIG TOUR  Mar 27 2017, 02:53:07 PM

I am surprised to hear so much divide on Euan's performance. I thought I was going to be comparing the entire time because I was spoiled and saw JCM's second performance in New York. And while John is forever the ultimate Hedwig, I was enthralled by Euan. Maybe this was one of his "on" nights? His vocals were superb and that lightness in his voice that he displayed effortlessly in Taboo really shined through on Wig in a Box and Wicked Little Town specifically. I found him en

The Humans - Rush/Limited View  Aug 24 2016, 10:29:07 AM

It was my understanding that there is a lottery now but no rush policy anymore? Can anyone confirm what the current policy is, I'm hoping to catch this in December when I'm in town

The Humans at the Schoenfeld  Aug 15 2016, 10:48:41 AM

Glad to hear the show has translated well into the new space for the most part. I am hoping to catch this in December. Did they do away with the rush policy as someone mentioned a lotto?

Which Regional Theatres Do You Think are Overdue for a Tony?  Aug 15 2016, 10:42:42 AM

@Call Me Jorge, I would absolutely NOT award either the Mariott or Drury Lane. The work at both theatres is not only inconsistent but is hardly relevant especially at Mariott. Also Mariott was just involved in a racial casting controversy.  If Paramount continues to do the amazing work they have been then maybe in 15 years they could be fitting of the honor but they are far too young and new for consideration,.

Shows where you prefer a different recording from the original?  Aug 12 2016, 10:20:53 AM

I think in general I tend to prefer the revival recordings of most shows due to the better sound quality. That said there area  few that stand out for both sound and performance.

Hair - in my opinion the revival recording is definitive

Pippin

The Color Purple

Assassins

Cabaret (9

Company (solely because of Raul)

The 1985 Follies Concert

Patti's Gypsy (I assume that depends on whoever your Rose preference is)

Jesus Christ Superstar 1996 Studio with Steve Balsamo

Merrily We Roll Along - used to love the 94 but i now only listen to the encores concert

Nine

She Loves Me (1994 with Boyd Gaines)

South Pacifc 2008

110 in the Shade with Audra

Violet with Sutton

How many people on these boards work in theatre?  Aug 10 2016, 10:29:29 AM

Going on 5 years as a regionally based actor. Also a freelance critic for a minor publication. Currently working on starting a theatre company

Sleep No More is AMAZING  Jul 25 2016, 10:49:43 AM

I have been twice: 2012 and 2013. The first time for me was electric. It was unlike anything I've ever experienced. The second time I went back I had 4 one on ones! It was such a personal experience and remains one of if not the best theatrical experience I've ever had. I was considering revisiting the show this December but it sounds like while its exciting for new attendees it just lacks the "it" factor it once had. Sad to hear that, I think I'll just live with the ste

WAR PAINT - Pre-Broadway Thread  Jul 20 2016, 10:51:21 AM

@Kaylee the first time I saw the show i liked the song. It was amusing. But upon seeing it a second time it felt like sentiments neither of these intelligent, albeit hurt men would make. I think the characters do need a song here to say goodbye and exit the story but I just dont think this is the one. I think the praise for the song is that its fun but that doesnt make it right for the story.

@KnewitwhenIwasinfront I think the men are absolutely vital the to the story. Th

WAR PAINT - Pre-Broadway Thread  Jul 19 2016, 10:23:05 AM

Was at the opening last night. It was a very special evening. Upon a second viewing I think Dinosaurs and Better Yourself both need to be re written. I disagree that some are finding the show generic. I found it to constantly be about the one upmanship of each woman on the other. I think the show does an excellent job of portraying that. Some tightening and minor re-writes will likely be done between here and new york but i agree on all the praise the score and the cast are receiving. Those a

Company at The Writers Theater  Jul 15 2016, 10:15:14 AM

I have not gone to see it based on the opinion of several theatrical colleagues that I trust. Apparently there are some bizarre staging choices going on in the show. I do hope you can enjoy the show, but with a constantly long list of things to see in this town I was told it was a very strong show to pass on.

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You