News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for melynnee

Member Name: melynnee
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

re: THE SEATS IN THE PIAZZA  Aug 10 2005, 12:38:51 AM
I may have to argue a teeny-tiny bit on the no bad seats thing. In Piazza they use the back of the stage a few times, so in my seat (which was stage right, front row of the mezzanine, or loge as it said on my ticket, all the way on the end) you didn't really see all of the set or all of the action in back, but, obviously, they try to make it so that you won't miss anything important, which I assume I didn't. I may have had the ONLY bad seat in the entire place! But I do love the theatre for h
re: Marc Shaiman responds to Michael John La Chiusa  Aug 9 2005, 05:37:52 PM
I doubted it would be. I didn't want to get any of those "you don't know what you're talking about posts" some people leave when discussions get heated, but just thought it was interesting because it's a comment that, like most of his article, seemed somewhat vague and like a disguised jab at someone.
re: Marc Shaiman responds to Michael John La Chiusa  Aug 9 2005, 05:27:57 PM
Wow, this is a hot topic! Anyway, I read the article a few days ago before all of this started and was so glad to see that people were responding to it, especially people who are in the industry as heavily as Marc. My two cents on the article is that it had absolutely nothing to say. I am with RobbieJ in saying that the thesis is never clear and his idea of "real" theatre is never defined. The entire article seemed to go in circles without ever making a clear point. Now, I'm not claiming to
re: Lotteries- Spelling Bee, DRS, and Hairspray  Jul 31 2005, 02:52:27 AM
I went to DRS on a Tuesday and it really wasn't too bad, but I'm sure weekends are much worse. I'd say there were maybe 30-40 people. Less than I expected.

Spelling Bee is definitely worse because of the Wicked lottery as people have said. It was extremely frustrating because a lot of people the day I went (Wednesday mat AND evening) would come by and go, "Oh, is this a musical too?" and then end up winning, which can be discouraging if it's something you really want to see.

re: Has anyone ever met a *nice* Joanna Gleason?  Jul 31 2005, 02:47:27 AM
I saw DRS about two weeks ago and Joanna came out the stage door and signed about 4 or 5 autographs. Someone asked to take a picture and she said something like, "Oh, I suppose, if it's quick." I was a bit disappointed that she was not more friendly, but, to her defense, that night a lot of her family was there, so I guess we were lucky to see her at all. I had been wondering if this was common practice for her because everyone else was so gracious and stayed so long to sign (except Norbert,
re: Hi I'm new/HAIRSPRAY & WICKED  Jul 31 2005, 02:38:07 AM
This may be a stupid comment, and I don't post on here often b/c people seem to get so hot over what people post, but I'll go ahead and say my piece! After reading such a seemingly detailed and well-thought-out Hairspray response I was terribly disappointed to read that your Wicked one was simply a place to bash a certain performer. My experience with Idina in the role was actually really tremendous, but I completely understand your comments as others I know have had similar experiences. I jus
re: Cabaret-- a Discussion  Jul 28 2005, 03:15:03 PM
Emcee4Ever, there actually was a production done at Illinois State University (and I'm sure it's been done elsewhere) years ago that sounds a bit like your nightmare. Except the whole dying thing. :) In this one, come intermission, they had actors dressed as Nazis at the doors and refused to let anyone out. Can you imagine?! Has anyone else heard of productions where this was done? Do you think it is unneccesary and over the top, or do you think it drives home the point?
re: Cabaret-- a Discussion  Jul 28 2005, 01:05:33 AM
I think I perhaps saw the same PBS special (it was like 5 in the morning, I've been trying to figure out what it was ever since!). I've been doing a lot of research on Sally Bowles (I'll be playing the character in September) and after reading Christopher Isherwood's book, I've come to find her very naive. She really has a self-imposed ignorance toward the world, politics, etc. Isherwood said this great quote about her, "I only knew that she was lovable in a way no human could ever quite be,
re: Cabaret-- a Discussion  Jul 27 2005, 07:56:37 PM
Oh, and my favorite song is probably Mein Herr, although it is being left out of our production. But I do agree that Don't Tell Mama is a terribly fun song.
re: Cabaret-- a Discussion  Jul 27 2005, 07:52:58 PM
Hey... this is the first time I've ever said anything here, but I wanted to contribute. I have not seen Cabaret, but am currently working on a production that is going into rehearsals soon. From this perspective, I see the Emcee as more of, as I believe someone said earlier, a commentator, but it somehow had not occured to me to look at him as an instigator. That will be interesting to keep an eye out for during rehearsals. Sorry if this pulled the thread a bit off-topic (threadjacking, I be
You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You