News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for rpvee

Member Name: rpvee
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

An a cappella 11 o'clock number?  Jun 5 2020, 02:53:30 PM
It may have been slightlyyyyy earlier than “11”, but The Band’s Visit has an Arabic acapella piece rather late into the show. Granted, it’s used as sort of an intro for a fuller song, but it’s still a solid minute or so acapella. It’s called “Itgara’a”.
Cursed Child Cancelled Until Sept 6  May 12 2020, 03:10:12 PM
I hope Jagged Little Pill will come back!
The Band’s Visit Closed 1 Year Ago Today  Apr 7 2020, 05:39:40 PM

It’s officially been one year since one of the most unique (and one of the most award winning) shows in Broadway and theatre history closed.

While some thought it was slow and plotless, most saw its subtle, quiet beauty, and how it was more like a play with music, as it was often described. That’s not to mention how the musical brought a new level of representation to the Broadway stage, from the multiple Israeli and Arab actors, to the authentic Mid

Broadway to Close?  Mar 12 2020, 02:38:28 PM

mcsquared said: "rpvee said: "Has anyone discussed what might happen to touring productions? I wanted to see Band’s Visit in Boston and Hartford, but I wonder if tours will be put on pause too..."

Broadway in Boston sent out a notice this morning that performances would continue but wouldn't be surprised if they updated within the next few days.
"

Thanks!!

Broadway to Close?  Mar 12 2020, 02:25:32 PM
Has anyone discussed what might happen to touring productions? I wanted to see Band’s Visit in Boston and Hartford, but I wonder if tours will be put on pause too...
What’s Next For The Barrymore?  Feb 24 2020, 11:15:23 AM
Just bring back The Band’s Visit. xD
West End Prince of Egypt  Feb 9 2020, 10:22:20 PM
How was the instrumentation? Did they keep the authentic Middle Eastern elements, at least? Kind of like a new Band’s Visit instrumentally speaking?

Also, how was Yocheved? How’d they handle Ofra Haza’s vocal parts of the score, like when Moses wanders in the desert?

One Song Roles  Jan 24 2020, 08:43:35 AM
Surprised no one has mentioned “Answer Me” by Telephone Guy in The Band’s Visit.
Last Performance Experiences  Aug 11 2019, 11:51:12 PM
The final performance of The Band’s Visit was pretty routine in terms of the performances not having any unique additions, but the audience’s energy was incredible, with extended applauses and even applause at moments there usually wasn’t any (such as after Itzik’s Lullaby). Sasson Gabay also made his final bow of thanks to Katrina a bit slower and extra graceful, which was chilling.

It was my 50th time and I was a blubbering mess, but it was a wonderful performance.

Times Square Partial Power Outage  Jul 14 2019, 11:32:50 AM

Some - certainly not all, but some - of the lights on stage during Burn This went out for a minute or two. Otherwise, the show was normal, and even when that happened, the scene just kept going.

May 4 2019, 07:32:57 PM

John Adams said: "Agreed with all.

IF the entire show had been produced and telecast, I could see the Emmy recognition; but for what is (in reality) just a commercial? This is a slap in the face of all those people and TV shows whodeservedlyearned their Emmy.

A Clio is the more appropriate award.
"

What are you talking about? This wasn’t a commercial. It was a full performance of two songs, and in freezing cold no less. Ho

The Band’s Visit wins Emmy Award!  May 4 2019, 10:20:25 AM

https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/THE-BANDS-VISIT-Wins-Daytime-Emmy-Award-For-TODAY-SHOW-Performance-20190504

The Outstanding Musical Performance in a Daytime Program category, for their performance of Answer Me on The Today Show (watch here).

Fun fact - the 2018 Tony nominations were announced while this performance was happening, and the cast learned of all the shows nominations live on air!

I was there - it was freezing, but they really delivered an amazing performance. Glad to see it recognized!

10 Tonys, a Grammy, and now an Emmy. Even a month after closing, The Bands Visit continues to be a wonder. Can’t wait for the tour starting next month!

West End Prince of Egypt  May 2 2019, 12:41:56 PM
Very excited to hear about this! Hoping it transfers. This is one of my all time favorite movies, in part because it features the late, great Ofra Haza (whoever plays Yocheved will have big shoes to fill).

Also exciting because this could be the next opportunity for a Broadway show to feature rather authentic sounding Middle Eastern music (and actors!), since we lost The Band’s Visit. This should at least be a new score heavily influenced by the genre without being cliche.

The Band's Visit tour cast  Apr 23 2019, 08:15:48 PM

itzikslullaby said: "Sasson Gabai will reprise his role at Tewfiq.

James and Joe (Broadway Standbys) will also go on tour
"

Source?! If Sasson goes on tour, that’d be absolutely extraordinary.

THE BAND'S VISIT sets closing  Apr 8 2019, 01:00:35 AM
It was such an incredible afternoon. My 50th visit - a perfect number to end on - and the atmosphere in the theatre made the entire performance feel surreal and completely unlike any of the 49 others I attended. Also, as mentioned, LOTS more applause than usual, some of which I started because that cast absolutely deserved it (the transition between Papi Hears The Ocean and Haleds Song About Love is usually quiet, for example, but I clapped and everyone followed - Etai needed that applause for o
The Band's Visit RUSH  Mar 13 2019, 12:35:13 PM

dotseurat2 said: "Debating whether I should just get myself a side mezz $45 in advance for the final Wednesday matinee or try rush. Do you think the rush line will get a little crazier closer to the closing date? Should I just go with the size mezz seat? Just need one. Thanks."

The rush line will probably get crazier as the closing gets closer. Depending on what side and seat you get, side mezz would be fine. The right has a better view than the left.

Repeat Visits To Shows  Feb 25 2019, 01:08:00 PM

OlBlueEyes said: "I enjoyed The Band's Visit the first time I saw it, and knewit was a work of great quality, but when I got home and did some reading, I found a lot of significant actions that had gone right past me. Seeing it again I was able to take it all in."

That’s the show I’ve seen the most by far (35 times and counting), and I’m still noticing subtle details here and there. There’s so much to it. What actions had you miss

Cast Albums Grammy 2019?  Feb 13 2019, 10:57:49 AM

OKBroadwayFan said: "After Eight saidWhat we desperately do not need is music that can only be deemed music in thesense ofan amalgamof notes strung together, with all the appeal of a mud puddle.

I took this statement as reference to The Band's Visit music NOT to all music of that style.
"

I kind of doubt they’re familiar enough with Middle Eastern music to specifically think TBV is a horrible representation of it, and beyond that, their c

Cast Albums Grammy 2019?  Feb 12 2019, 11:30:49 AM

GavestonPS said: "You think maybe we should save the "r-word" for more important expressions of hatred?

I do know what you mean and "ignorance" is indeed the word. But I have to admit I've never warmed up to 5-tone scale music. Is it ignorance on my part? Yes, not willfully so, but I've never taken thetime to experience 5-tone scale music except as the soundtrack to Chinese opera or Japanese drama.

I don't think I have anything ag

Cast Albums Grammy 2019?  Feb 11 2019, 01:00:48 PM

AADA81 said: "rpvee said: "After Eight said: "StageDoorSally wrote:

"
Whoa, rpvee, it's a bit of a jump to imply racism based on someone's opinion of music. After Eight's opinions may be harsh, even mean-spirited at times, but jumping to a conclusion of near-racism might be a bit of a stretch, in my opinion.
"

They described a score heavily influenced by a foreign culture’s music as being a m

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You