Broadway to Close?

troynow
#1Broadway to Close?
Posted: 3/11/20 at 2:59pm

I have just heard on good authority, that Gov Cuomo is set to announce a ban on all gatherings of 500 or more.

Hate to be superficial but, when this is over, what will this do you The Tony Awards, what will it do you Broadway Talent and the Producers???

Thoughts?

Updated On: 3/11/20 at 02:59 PM

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#2Broadway to Close
Posted: 3/11/20 at 3:06pm

I mean, the governor of Washington just banned crowds of 250 or more for the entire Seattle area, so I'm sure Cuomo's announcement is coming this week. NYC has too many people, and it's too condensed for business as usual.

This is so awful. 

BCfitasafiddle
#3Broadway to Close
Posted: 3/11/20 at 3:08pm

Misleading title for right now.

fashionguru_23 Profile Photo
fashionguru_23
#4Broadway to Close

But...but...I'm putting on my Sunday clothes for Hello Dolly in Buffalo, Saturday!

"Ok ok ok ok ok ok ok. Have you guys heard about fidget spinners!?" ~Patti LuPone
Updated On: 3/11/20 at 03:08 PM

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#5Broadway to Close

I'll believe it when it's official. Does he even have the authority to do something like that?

I believe in San Francisco, there is a similar ban, but from what I read, it seemed like it only applied to government-owned buildings. I assumed because that's all they could legally enforce. 

Not an expert on these things though, so happy to be corrected by anyone with more concrete understanding of these laws. 

Updated On: 3/11/20 at 03:08 PM

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#6Broadway to Close
Posted: 3/11/20 at 3:10pm

If there's a sustained closure of Broadway theaters, it would put many shows in immediate financial peril and many would not bounce back. 

The producers have no obligation, and nearly all would lack the means, to pay actors for a sustained period of time. They have bonds with Equity to cover a week or two of pay and that's it. The Production contract does not obligate a producer to continue to pay actors during an extended closure, because if no money is coming in, then no money can go out.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."
Updated On: 3/11/20 at 03:10 PM

BenElliott Profile Photo
BenElliott
#7Broadway to Close

The Broadway houses are privately owned right? I don't think he has the legal authority to shut down Broadway. He can scare people away, but I don't think he can actually shut it down.

Dancingthrulife2 Profile Photo
Dancingthrulife2
#8Broadway to Close

If this actually happens, would most of the limited engagement productions close for good?  

Updated On: 3/11/20 at 03:10 PM

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#9Broadway to Close
Posted: 3/11/20 at 3:14pm

In the grand scheme of things does it matter. Media has hyped this to the the point of scaring people to death

It is serious but is the cure worse than the disease ? We will.be staring at four walls 24/7 Every time someone gets it it warrants a special.news flash. Like it or not Trump saved lives by immediately banning travel.to and from China. We are throwing the baby out with the bath water

NYC is in deep crap and it is getting worse by the day. Broadway will.be never be the same after the dust settles. Get used to it. The coming days will bring premature closings. My wife and I went cold turkey and life goes on without it. 

Poster Emeritus
Updated On: 3/11/20 at 03:14 PM

AlanB3
#10Broadway to Close
Posted: 3/11/20 at 3:15pm

BenElliott said: "The Broadway houses are privately owned right? I don't think he has the legal authority to shut down Broadway. He can scare people away, but I don't think he can actually shut it down."

More likely it would be a declaration of emergency for the state and banning gatherings of a certain size (similar to WA) which would then effect Broadway.

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#11Broadway to Close
Posted: 3/11/20 at 3:15pm

I got a text this morning that at least one of the unions is preparing for this.

Sutton Ross
#12Broadway to Close
Posted: 3/11/20 at 3:17pm

The ban in Seattle covers gatherings for social, recreational, spiritual events. All of them. I expect something similar to happen in New York. 

Sutton Ross
#13Broadway to Close
Posted: 3/11/20 at 3:17pm

Updated On: 3/11/20 at 03:17 PM

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#14Broadway to Close
Posted: 3/11/20 at 3:18pm

Broadway bounced back after AIDS and 9/11 and will bounce back from this. 

As for whether it is legal: Governor Cuomo declared a state of emergency a few days ago that grants him sweeping executive powers. 

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

BenElliott Profile Photo
BenElliott
#15Broadway to Close
Posted: 3/11/20 at 3:21pm

Cynthia Nixon NEVER would've cancelled Broadway!!!

schubox
#16Broadway to Close

Have a weekend planned in mid-April. Just the stress of trying to move/reschedule things is crazy. But I was already thinking of not going, getting refunds on the show tickets would be a relief

MarkBearSF Profile Photo
MarkBearSF
#17SF just did it.

San Francisco just put a ban on "Public Gatherings of 1000 or more people" for at least two weeks  and discussion has been focused on the Warriors, but also affects the theaters, which include Hamilton at the Orpheum, Harry Potter at the Curran, Sting in The Last Ship at the Golden Gate and a new ACT production at their smaller Strand (and SF Playhouse and...)

Updated On: 3/11/20 at 03:21 PM

Fosse76
#18Broadway to Close
Posted: 3/11/20 at 3:24pm

BenElliott said: "The Broadway houses are privately owned right? I don't think he has the legal authority to shut down Broadway. He can scare people away, but I don't think he can actually shut it down."

He does have the authority, and can, if it's a public health issue. Contrary to what conservative talking heads will have you believe, businesses can and are regulated by the authority of the state in which they operate.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#19Broadway to Close
Posted: 3/11/20 at 3:25pm

Mr Roxy said: "In the grand scheme of things does it matter. Media has hyped this to the the point of scaring people to death

It is serious but is the cure worse than the disease ? We will.be staring at four walls 24/7 Every time someone gets it it warrants a special.news flash. Like it or not Trump saved lives by immediately banning travel.to and from China. We are throwing the baby out with the bath water

NYC is in deep crap and it is getting worse by the day. Broadway will.be never be the same after the dust settles. Get used to it. The coming days will bring premature closings. My wife and I went cold turkey and life goes on without it.
"

Trump did not institute travel restrictions to and from China until after there were US cases, on 1/31- which meant there were already cases worldwide. Experts do not seem to believe that these restrictions, or any travel restrictions, did much of anything in the way of stopping the virus spread or saving lives. The government has been downplaying and bungling this (now) pandemic, and test shortages continue. 

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
MarkBearSF Profile Photo
MarkBearSF
#21SF did it
Posted: 3/11/20 at 3:33pm

I just heard that the Curran (Harry Potter) is reducing capacity to under 1000 and working with people to reschedule. (ATG are harasses!)

Updated On: 3/11/20 at 03:33 PM

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#22Broadway to Close
Posted: 3/11/20 at 3:35pm

Just heard they’re looking at closing shows for one month.

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#23Broadway to Close
Posted: 3/11/20 at 3:35pm

This will ruin so many people's livelihood. 

I wonder if we will see certain off-Broadway theatre removing seats or capping their sales off at 200 (or whatever) so as to be allowed to remain open. 

For Seattle and San Francisco - how immediately did these bans go into effect? Right away, or was there a bit of a grace period? There are a few shows that I've been waiting on seeing for a variety of reasons, and I'm wondering if I should jump on them. 

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#24Broadway to Close
Posted: 3/11/20 at 3:38pm

JBroadway said: "
I wonder if we will see certain off-Broadway theatre removing seats or capping their sales off at 200 (or whatever) so as to be allowed to remain open.."

If the cap is 500, then off-Broadway would be, in theory, allowed to continue as-is. 

MarkBearSF Profile Photo
MarkBearSF
#25Broadway to Close
Posted: 3/11/20 at 3:39pm

JBroadway said: "...For Seattle and San Francisco - how immediately did these bans go into effect? Right away, or was there a bit of a grace period?..."

I believe SF's rule gives them 24 hours. I think most are doing today's shows and canceling starting tomorrow. (or reducing capacity, if the rumors about the Curran are true)

And I just realized that SF Playhouse, 42nd St Moon (Gateway), and other smaller venues are under the 1000 rule.

Updated On: 3/11/20 at 03:39 PM