News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for Gelfling

Gelfling Profile Photo
Member Name: Gelfling
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

re: Some Gay rights leaders say 'Boycott Hairspray Movie'
 Jul 16 2007, 05:12:15 AM
As always things are twisted every which way by everyone to suit their needs.

The "gay leaders" in questions probably never pretended to be "leaders" of any kind but you have to admit it sounds great for a title, right?

And they never called Travolta "homophobic", they said Scientology was. Most Christian groups preaching "rehabilitation" and "ex-gays" will tell you they are not homophobic. They just think you're actually happier not "living in sin".

Travolta is a very

re: Queen Latifah singing jazz at the Hollywood Bowl 7/11
 Jul 12 2007, 01:31:45 PM
what a great voice she has... I wish she did something on Broadway... I had heard rumors she was going to play in Sister Act but obviously they were just rumors.

I wish she still rapped though... she really has a great rythm and she was one of the very few rappers with great lyrics.

thanks for the vids

The issue lies in the definition of 'mainstream'
 Jun 25 2007, 07:23:08 AM
I think it's people as a rule are getting dumber. No seriously...

They read less, watch more and more TV, can't be bothered to listen to anything that makes them think for more than 10 minutes without losing focus or getting a headache.

Their attention span has been reduced to nothing... we live in an MTV/McDonalds world where people behave more and more like consumers of "culture" and less and less like an audience. As weird as it may sound, they don't want to be surprised an

re: Streisand to Make Appearence in Next Pixar Movie
 Jun 25 2007, 07:12:40 AM
Sounds great... Stanton is the only one left at Pixar that doesn't try to make Disney movies in 3D...

Bug's Life, Monsters Inc, Nemo... all had great fun for kids but went beyond what you'd expect from anime to get into the real of real movies with underlying themes that go beyond "Be good" and "Love everyone"... Good to know he's at it again, I was bored to death by Pixar's last "efforts", The Incredibles, Cars and Ratatouille were so formulaic they gave me nausea!

I can't wa

re: 10 Million Miles Reviews/ Opinions Anyone?
 Jun 25 2007, 07:06:41 AM
oh damn... another negative review... well... okay it's from a Wicked fan of all people but hey... :p
re: Former Yankees to act in play
 Jun 25 2007, 07:05:13 AM
that's just hillarious! not the news, that I can't really comment about. I don't know what kind of actor he'll be.

But I actually saw Darryl Strawberry on stage before although he was played by Gillian Anderson... lol... well she was playing a depressive artist institutionalized for attempting suicide who tried to cheat her insurance into letting her stay longer in the safe heaven of the hospital by pretending to be a schizophrenic who thought she was Darryl Strawberry and ended up baing caught up in her own game (wow... that was a long winded sentence... did it make any sense at all? )

anyway the play was The Sweetest Swing in Baseball by Rebecca Gillman and it simply was fantastic. I don't think it transferred to Broadway since most critics were a little bitchy after being used as targets in the play but it really was good...

ah... Darryl Strawberry... a stage whore it seems

re: In the Heights vs. 10 Million Miles
 Jun 25 2007, 06:59:06 AM
Unfortunately I haven't seen either but I wouldn't be much of a Patty Griffin fan if I didn't add a little "10 Million Miles" vote.
I heard Morrison and Winningham alone were reason enough to see it and it might be Winningham's last musical, you never know.
Truly Patty's music is enchanting and it would be a shame to pass it out. Also as someone mentioned, 10MM is a limited run and well... you never know if you like something before you try it, no matter what others say about it.

Jun 21 2007, 05:35:23 AM
Thanks for the link...

It's not a rave for sure but it's much more positive than I expected. It's funny to see that Brantley even knows who Patty Griffin is and that he knows her well enough to actually find a vocal resemblance (real?) between her and Molloy.

I never would have pegged him for a Griffin guy

damn... i wish I could see this... I hope they at least make a cast recording to hear Winnigham and Morrison sing Patty.

re: IDOL: The Musical????!!!
 Jun 21 2007, 05:28:49 AM
hehe... seems "Idol" is taken for a ride... are you sure you want to see this? lol
 Jun 20 2007, 08:19:59 AM
thanks for the further review, Nomdeplume... It's good to know that they are trying to improve on the weaknesses of the show.

I read my post from yesterday and boy... I sound mad! lol... I should change cereals! It just gets frustrating to see Ms Griffin stuck with reducing labels. Who cares about labels, if you listen with your heart, you can find beauty in any music genre and I think her lyrics transcend any label you could stick to the song. I guess she's classified as country by a lot of media outlets because she's been working with Emmylou Harris for a few years on a regular basis and she lives in Austin but her music though sometimes countryish, is very far from what people imagine when they hear the word "country"... I mean... a waltz never hurt anyone, right?

I didn't know Brantly reviewed it. Anyone has a link to that, I'd like to know what he has to say.

re: Hilty, Block, and Janney are 9-5 trio in upcoming Workshop
 Jun 18 2007, 06:29:53 AM
I hear Janney sing with a big band at a charity function a few years back and she has a really nice voice... I think you can hear her sing a little in one West Wing episode but I couldn't tell you which right now...

after all not everyone who can sing makes it his/her profession

I wish she was surrounded by better actresses though... Hilty and Block are a little subpar I think.

Jun 18 2007, 06:22:21 AM
I think it's too bad you are trying to categorize music into a box like the music industry desperately tries to. Patty Griffin's music is so much more than "folksy" and in fact most of her songs cover a wide range of genres.

I'm saddened that they weren't able to provide a strong book around the songs but I swear if I hear one more time that Griffin is a country star, I'm going to kill someone! lol

Country star?! learn your music!

re: Jesus Christ Superstar
 Jun 15 2007, 04:46:25 AM
rotfl... yet another newbie thread gone to hell really really fast... makes you wonder why we have a bad reputation! lol

Tink, don't take it personally. This board is very large and most days you'll find that people with downright opposite opinions post in the same thread. Doesn't always turn into a cat fight, sometimes it does turn into a cat massacre (oops, sorry ALW ) but there is no way to open a "fan-only" thread here... which make for a more interesting discussion if you can keep your sense of humor and regard the posts for what they are: opinions.

As for The Raelians... it's bound to be mentioned for a guy who plays Jesus as Raelians, as most all encompassing New Age cults are no bigots and do believe that Jesus was a half breed... born of an Earth woman and one of the "Elohim" (the little Green Men)... well... we all know those Earth Girls are easy...

re: Some Gay rights leaders say 'Boycott Hairspray Movie'
 Jun 15 2007, 04:30:39 AM
I still think him taking the part was some kind of very bad inside joke. He's been publicly denying his homosexuality for years and it's been rumored that's the reason he chose to join Scientology in the first place. Like many self-hating gays, he's chosen to make a joke about it... "See? if I was gay like you all have been saying for years, I couldn't take the part..." Is he really gay but using the openly homophobic stance of his Church to hide it? Most certainly.

It is a fact however

re: Lloyd Webber's cat destroys score for Phantom sequel
 Jun 15 2007, 04:21:06 AM
c'mon... we all knew there was a contract on that score... guess the cat just hit the jackpot Good kitty, kitty :)
re: 10 Million Miles - Cast Album?
 May 23 2007, 04:54:36 AM
I hope so! I'd love to hear Mare Winningham sing Making Pies and Kite!

Patty is not on a major label, by the way... she is on Dave Matthews' ATO Records. They DO distribute through BMG but it's a small indie label. She used to be on A&M but these morons dropped her because they didn't know how to sell her eclectic music to the masses... I guess major labels are increasingly afraid of what can't be categorized and easily referenced... it's after all much easier to sell what you can put o

re: Ten Million Miles - First Preview
 May 23 2007, 04:41:28 AM
hehe... I know I would be on Top of the World

report back when you've seen it, I'm interested in opinions and although it's not as if I was there, hearing reviews, especially from other Broadway savvy Patty fans, is the next best thing.

re: Stockard Channing in Awake & Sing
 May 23 2007, 04:25:31 AM
I have seen her in The Exonerated abd Six Degrees of Separation on stage in London and she was fantastic both times. She did an impressive number of plays in the US and it'll be great to see her again in the West End a second time!

As for her being to ethereal, I think she can play just about anything she wants but I'll let you know how it turns out

re: The Official Tony Nominations Thread
 May 15 2007, 11:00:05 AM
mmm... Mary Poppins and Laura Bell Bundy... Sounds like the "fifth wheel" nomination... you know? that "we-already-have-more-than enough-to-choose-from-thank-you-so-we-are-nominating-something/someone-who-doesn't-have-a-shot-in-hell" thing?

I'm not especially shocked Kristin Chenoweth wasn't nominated. Nominating Bundy instead definitely is an intentional snub... I guess they think that you have to put in some time on Broadway if you want to be taken into account, no matter how good you

re: Ten Million Miles - First Preview
 May 15 2007, 03:44:47 AM
well, she's not on tour right now so anything's possible but since she starts touring again on June 8th in Texas, I'd say she's probably home... HOWEVER, she will appear on Conan on June 13th and has a June 15th concert appearance in Peekskill, NY with nothing in between sooo it's fair to say she'll be at the Opening on the 14th :)

Glad to see some Griffinsane people in these parts, Folkyboy

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You