News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for BrendanStryker

BrendanStryker Profile Photo
Member Name: BrendanStryker
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

re: Anyone but me think it weird to have Kelli O'Hara as Babe?
 Dec 29 2005, 12:31:16 AM
Not as weird as Harry Connick as Sid. I'm not thrilled by this cast, at all. I so love THE PAJAMA GAME, too.
re: favorite musical/movie?
 Dec 22 2005, 12:39:21 AM
THE SOUND OF MUSIC, by about a million miles. Second would be THE MUSIC MAN.
re: lip synching in movie musicals
 Dec 21 2005, 04:21:50 PM
Well, I don't know about that. Look at Julie Andrews in MARY POPPINS. She's perfect. She, along with Robert Preston, may be the best lip synch-ers in film history. Watch the film STAR!, you'd swear every number in it was recorded whilst it was being filmed, she's that perfect.
re: Composer v. Orchestrator
 Dec 21 2005, 02:15:07 PM
If I were the composer of a musical, today, I'd hire William David Brohn to do the orchestrations.
re: Ears Bleeding ('A Chorus Line' movie Soundtrack)
 Dec 21 2005, 08:39:10 AM
I think "Nothing" in the film, is far superior to the Original Cast Recording. The film stinks, though.
 Dec 20 2005, 09:51:27 PM
liveincanada, see my post above. I've explained why.
 Dec 20 2005, 09:14:35 PM
Actually, Natalie Wood is not a good example. She did her synching to her own vocals. Marni Nixon gets some credit for matching, after the fact!
re: Did we act too soon about movie musicals?
 Dec 20 2005, 09:05:38 PM
I did a research paper on the film musical whilst at uni. It doesn't make me an expert, but I did learn a lot about them and their history, particularly at the box office in the United States, and around the world. The movie musical has always been a niche market. Very few musical films, in the history of the cinema were gigantic hits. In fact, by the late 50's, the film musical was considered a dead genre, and a complete waste of money. Almost no musical did well outside of the United Stat
 Dec 20 2005, 08:18:44 PM
I don't understand what is hard about it, either. Striesand says she's bad at it, because it lacks the spontaneity that she prefers. I've always thought that was a crock, as there is absolutely nothing spontaneous about Barbra Streisand. One of the things I hate about her is that every move she makes on screen looks like its been rehearsed about a million times in front of a mirror.
re: Time machine
 Dec 20 2005, 08:13:10 PM
CAMELOT. Because the remarkable talent of the original cast has just never been equaled on Broadway or anywhere else, in my opinion.
 Dec 20 2005, 08:10:22 PM
The problem with live singing, is that you have to be even more careful with keeping everything else on and around the set, quiet. It has been done, but very rarely, and never when there is much action happening. The are too many cuts (stops and starts) in filming, and to ensure a perfect match in vocal, it is just best for the actor to sync to a recording. They rarely, if ever, dub the vocal after it's been filmed. They always are syncing to a pre-recorded vocal.

Dec 20 2005, 05:43:37 PM
Some people are just better at it than others. Look at Barbra Streisand. She's horrible at it. I'm not sure why some people find it so difficult to do. Of course, it there is dubbing done after the film is made, then that always looks bad (i.e. MY FAIR LADY). Haven't seen RENT or THE PRODUCERS, so I can't comment on them.
re: Your favorite Christmas Carol remake?
 Dec 18 2005, 07:28:01 PM
dancingthru, I like A CHRISTMAS CAROL:THE MUSICAL, as well. Just love its score. Kelsey was very good, as was much of the supporting cast. I got it on DVD this year.
re: The On a Clear Day You Can See Forver Film...zzzzzzzzzzzzz
 Dec 15 2005, 04:15:50 PM
It's beyond horrible. Striesand plays it like she's mentally retarded. She really cannot act. All the numbers are overproduced, and the title number is almost unrecognizable. She's singing at the top of her lungs. Awful.
re: H2$ opinion
 Nov 29 2005, 09:02:52 PM
Not sure about how appropriate it is (although I see nothing wrong with it), but HOW TO SUCCEED... is only a trillion times more creative and intelligent than GREASE. A far better choice for any school. GREASE is just empty calories.
re: Which Actors Should Return to Broadway?
 Nov 16 2005, 11:03:54 AM
I'd love to see someone come up with a play that would bring Julie Andrews and Angela Lansbury together.
re: What's the absolute SICKEST thing you have ever seen in a horror film?
 Nov 16 2005, 10:58:31 AM
There's that rather sick shot in HIGH TENSION, when the killer throws the bodyless head out the truck window, following an oral sex moment with it. Of course, much of HIGH TENSION is sick.
re: Mary Poppins Arrives on Broadway Oct 2006, Lion King Moves to Minskoff
 Nov 11 2005, 07:55:12 AM
YAWN - Carry On!
re: Who has seen 'Shear Madness'?
 Nov 11 2005, 07:48:13 AM
I love the show. It has no ad libs, by the way. Every single situation has been scripted. There are a list of things the actors can pull from, in the script. Every situation has happened, and a line has been written for it.

re: Broadway Pajama Game has its Hines
 Nov 10 2005, 11:10:08 AM
So, I suppose I am the only person who is completely underwhelmed by the prospect of watching Harry Connick,Jr. play Sid?
You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You