News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

Mary Poppins Arrives on Broadway Oct 2006, Lion King Moves to Minskoff June 2006

Mary Poppins Arrives on Broadway Oct 2006, Lion King Moves to Minskoff June 2006

Jekyll&Hyde Profile Photo
Jekyll&Hyde
#1re: Mary Poppins Arrives on Broadway Oct 2006, Lion King Moves to Minskoff June 2006
Posted: 11/10/05 at 5:39pm

Saw this show last week, I'm not a huge mary poppins fan, but the show was awesome and I am now re: Mary Poppins Arrives on Broadway Oct 2006, Lion King Moves to Minskoff June 2006

popcultureboy Profile Photo
popcultureboy
#2re: Mary Poppins Arrives on Broadway Oct 2006, Lion King Moves to Minskoff June 2006
Posted: 11/10/05 at 5:39pm

Phew it's finally official. And I don't know who will be assuming the title role of Poppins on Broadway, but it won't be Laura Michelle.

Nothing precious, plain to see, don't make a fuss over me. Not loud, not soft, but somewhere inbetween. Say sorry, just let it be the word you mean.

ALWrules Profile Photo
ALWrules
#3re: Mary Poppins Arrives on Broadway Oct 2006, Lion King Moves to Minskoff June 2006
Posted: 11/10/05 at 5:45pm

Why won't Laura be taking the role? She was amazing in London

Keep your morals, I don't have time. Keep your lovers, I'm changing mine! -The Likes of Us

popcultureboy
#4re: Mary Poppins Arrives on Broadway Oct 2006, Lion King Moves to Minskoff June 2006
Posted: 11/10/05 at 5:47pm

I don't know the full details but she had a big falling out with Cameron Mackintosh a few months back.

Nothing precious, plain to see, don't make a fuss over me. Not loud, not soft, but somewhere inbetween. Say sorry, just let it be the word you mean.

AspectsofLoveLover
#5re: Mary Poppins Arrives on Broadway Oct 2006, Lion King Moves to Minskoff
Posted: 11/10/05 at 5:48pm

good! I've wanted to see this for some time now...so is the Mary Poppins from London coming to Broadway??? A falling out with Cameron??? Come on now, hes a nice guy.

"It's telling me to hold you tight and dance like it's the last night of the world."-Miss Saigon

popcultureboy
#6re: Mary Poppins Arrives on Broadway Oct 2006, Lion King Moves to Minskoff
Posted: 11/10/05 at 5:50pm

It's true. The big publicity drive they did over the summer, at ALL appearances, Poppy Tierney, the first cover, performed and not Laura. I don't know the full details of it all like I said, but I do know she won't be working with Cameron again any time soon.

kissmycookie Profile Photo
kissmycookie
#7re: Mary Poppins Arrives on Broadway Oct 2006, Lion King Moves to Minskoff
Posted: 11/10/05 at 5:51pm

Hooray! Finally, it's official!

Dame Fanadette Profile Photo
Dame Fanadette
#8re: Mary Poppins Arrives on Broadway Oct 2006, Lion King Moves to Minskoff
Posted: 11/10/05 at 5:53pm

Damn that's kind of dissappointing about Laura. Any links that would suggest this? Until then I will still believe she in Mary Poppins in U.S addition

DF loves the little children, all the children of the world black and yellow, gay or straight, they are perfect in her light DF loves all the children of the world-Dame Fanadette

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#9re: Mary Poppins Arrives on Broadway Oct 2006, Lion King Moves to Minskoff
Posted: 11/10/05 at 5:54pm

Will it meet the the same fate as Chitty ? A kid oriented show is a problem because if you have 2 kids you are looking at ($ 110 tickets) almost $ 450 to step in the door. Add to that the souvenirs & you are easily looking @ over $ 500. Not many families have this kind of bread for a family outing. Time will tell

Poster Emeritus

kissmycookie Profile Photo
kissmycookie
#10re: Mary Poppins Arrives on Broadway Oct 2006, Lion King Moves to Minskoff
Posted: 11/10/05 at 5:55pm

MP has a bigger built-in following than Chitty. Not to mention, better advertising too...

CaroleeFan Profile Photo
CaroleeFan
#11re: Mary Poppins Arrives on Broadway Oct 2006, Lion King Moves to Minskoff
Posted: 11/10/05 at 5:56pm

I think Mary Poppins has a wider fanbase and more general appeal than Chitty. Plus there's the Disney name, and Poppins is coming to Bway still fresh off its London buzz, while Chitty may have waited too long.

"They hear drums, we hear music."- Passion.
Updated On: 11/10/05 at 05:56 PM

Theatreboy33 Profile Photo
Theatreboy33
#12re: Mary Poppins Arrives on Broadway Oct 2006, Lion King Moves to Minskoff
Posted: 11/10/05 at 6:00pm

Ughhh, Disney is taking over. That'll make 4 theatres permanently booked. Also considering Wicked, Mama Mia, Producers, and Phantom (and maybe Spamalot), pretty soon there wont be any more musical houses left.

popcultureboy
#13re: Mary Poppins Arrives on Broadway Oct 2006, Lion King Moves to Minskoff
Posted: 11/10/05 at 6:00pm

Well by October, it will be pushing 2 years since Poppins opened in London. Chitty didn't wait THAT much longer. But Chitty is a garish pantomime aimed at children. Poppins has resolutely NOT been marketed exclusively at children.

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#14re: Mary Poppins Arrives on Broadway Oct 2006, Lion King Moves to Minskoff
Posted: 11/10/05 at 6:05pm

2 people is one thing. Bottom line is you are still looking @ a hefty price for a family outing. Time will tell

Poster Emeritus

Horton Profile Photo
Horton
#15re: Mary Poppins Arrives on Broadway Oct 2006, Lion King Moves to Minskoff
Posted: 11/10/05 at 6:13pm

How do the two Broadway theaters compare?

popcultureboy
#16re: Mary Poppins Arrives on Broadway Oct 2006, Lion King Moves to Minskoff
Posted: 11/10/05 at 6:16pm

I personally think the Minskoff is a soulless barn.

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#17re: Mary Poppins Arrives on Broadway Oct 2006, Lion King Moves to Minskoff
Posted: 11/10/05 at 6:17pm

The New Amsterdam is a show unto itself. Absolutely georgeous & eye popping. It is the classiest theater on Broadway . The Ziegfeld Follies originated here. The theater reeks of history

The Minskoff merely reeks . It is a big ugly barn of a theater. It is like comparing an BMW to an Edsel

Poster Emeritus

FOAnatic Profile Photo
FOAnatic
#18re: Mary Poppins Arrives on Broadway Oct 2006, Lion King Moves to Minskoff
Posted: 11/10/05 at 6:18pm

Must we start with the "Disney is taking over" talk again, theatreboy?

"I love talking about nothing. It is the only thing I know anything about." - Oscar Wilde

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#19re: Mary Poppins Arrives on Broadway Oct 2006, Lion King Moves to Minskoff
Posted: 11/10/05 at 6:20pm

Without Disney you would have out of work actors & musicians & a derelict & abandoned New Amsterdam. Somehow, I think we got the better of the deal

Poster Emeritus

Theatreboy33 Profile Photo
Theatreboy33
#20re: Mary Poppins Arrives on Broadway Oct 2006, Lion King Moves to Minskoff
Posted: 11/10/05 at 6:28pm

Ha! You actually believe that without disney, creativity in the realm of musical theatre would cease? I would hardly say you give credit to the thousands of people that write new musicals every year that never see the light of day on broadway because mega disney musicals eclipse any competition by sheer economic power. I cannot in any way believe that if disney were not occupying four places on broadway, all four houses would remain unoccupied and all their actors unemployed. That argument (that Ive heard SO many times now) is illogical beyond belief.

popcultureboy
#21re: Mary Poppins Arrives on Broadway Oct 2006, Lion King Moves to Minskoff
Posted: 11/10/05 at 6:32pm

That'd be a yes then

alterego Profile Photo
alterego
#22re: Mary Poppins Arrives on Broadway Oct 2006, Lion King Moves to Minskoff
Posted: 11/10/05 at 6:41pm

Mary Poppins has a lot more appeal and is far more well known than Chitty Chitty Bang Bang. As for Mary Poppins being a childrens show, isn't The Lion King a kids show too?

w_tanoto Profile Photo
w_tanoto
#23re: Mary Poppins Arrives on Broadway Oct 2006, Lion King Moves to Minskoff
Posted: 11/10/05 at 6:41pm

Finally!!
I heard rumour that julie andrews will get the mrs. banks part. Can anybody confirm this?

Be a BE*liever! Feel the Electricity --- Supercalifragilistic-Expialidocious --- Walt Disney Forever

popcultureboy
#24re: Mary Poppins Arrives on Broadway Oct 2006, Lion King Moves to Minskoff
Posted: 11/10/05 at 6:45pm

I would very VERY much doubt it.

Videos