News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for javertim

javertim Profile Photo
Member Name: javertim
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.
Web Site: http://www.myspace.com/javertymn
Blog Address:

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

re: Books on Vocal Technique
 Aug 31 2009, 06:41:24 AM
It's not really an instructional book, but "Great Singers on Great Singing" by Jerome Hinds is a collection of interviews lead by the great operatic bass in which other opera singers tell of their technique, daily routine, etc. Hines even speaks with noted vocal coaches and a speech therapist, so you have some medical insight, too. I would say it's absolutely essential reading if you're taking voice lessons of any kind ... And it's pretty cheap!
re: May Madness: The Best Tony Award-Winning Musical Ever
 May 25 2009, 05:44:38 PM
42nd Street- 7
Cats- 2

Les Miserables- 6
La Cage Aux Folles- 3

re: If you had to pick i Les Miz recording..
 May 22 2009, 10:35:31 PM
My all-time favorite is the 1991 Paris Revival recording.

But if I had to choose a recording in English, it would be the 10th Anniversary Concert recording. Then again, I don't think anyone should be without the Original Concept recording, either.

All three are absolutely wonderful.

re: Audra McDonald as Mama Rose?
 May 20 2009, 09:34:59 PM
I could totally see Jenifer Lewis as Mama Rose ... She has the low timbre that I love to hear in that part. And she's a terrific actor to boot.
re: Sore throat! HELP!!!!!!!
 Mar 8 2009, 06:45:39 PM
Doesn't anyone use slippery elm lozenges anymore? I think they work wonderfully, and you can find them at practically any natural food stores. They may take a bit of getting used to (like the throat-coat tea), but they really help!
re: Tonya Dixon filling in as Gary Coleman on Broadway for 1 week!
 Jan 11 2009, 07:34:41 PM
Tonya was an amazing Joanne and Fantine. I wish I could be there to see her as Gary Coleman.
re: Anyone see Les Miz at Signature Theatre?
 Jan 9 2009, 11:13:56 PM
Marius is supposed to be the romantic lead and I just didn't get that from Andrew Call. I didn't put much into my above review, but in addition to what I did say about him, I just found Mr. Call to be sort of one-dimensional and boring. True, he does have an amazing voice with a very appealing quality to it (I kept thinking that it reminded me of someone but couldn't pin it down). Also, I found his take on the character to be cold all-around, and I certainly don't remember book Marius being c
re: Anyone see Les Miz at Signature Theatre?
 Jan 9 2009, 06:09:44 PM
I thought Greg Stone was decent. He kind of reminded me of a really watered-down J. Mark McVey. Tom Zemon, on the other hand, was all kinds of wrong for the part. Notably, he played the part like a mafia hit-man and seemed to delight in the pain and suffering that was being experienced by the wretches around him. I guess this could be chalked up to direction, though. Still, his voice was very high, nasal, weak, and just all around unpleasant. I honestly don't understand how he landed the p
re: Performers Who Sound Alike
 Dec 28 2008, 06:12:45 PM
The woman who sings "she's got a kid, sends her all that she can" during "Lovely Ladies" on the Complete Symphonic Recording of Les Miserables sounds exactly like Sarah Brightman to me.
re: Silly Line Delivery On Cast Recordings
 Dec 11 2008, 09:21:27 PM
Yeah, I vastly prefer Cariou's delivery to Hearn's. I just love how in most of Act I you get these great build-ups for Sweeney -- such as the music leading up to the line in question -- only to have Cariou deliver the text with great subtlety. Not only does it make the explosion of "Epiphany" all the more powerful, but it plays up on the line "his voice was soft, his manner mild," which, incidentally, is spoken by the Beadle right after the "at last ... !"
re: Chris Colombus after Rent...what has he done since?
 Dec 8 2008, 04:13:49 PM
Chbosky's original screenplay is quite excellent, IMO (it has very, very little in common with the final shooting script). There is a great deal more dialogue than song and it also includes quite a bit of back-story that isn't part of the stage show.
re: Who's Your Favortie Jean Valjean?
 Nov 21 2008, 08:36:08 AM
If we're going that route, Nobodyhome, then I'll say Harry Baur and Lino Ventura.

My favorite stage Valjean was J. Mark McVey for a very long time. However, after seeing Hugh Panaro in the Walnut Street production, I'd have to go with him. Honestly, I never thought that would be the case. I was never a fan of his Phantom and he most certainly would have never occurred to me as a possible candidate for Valjean, but he knocked the role out of the park! I've never heard it better sung via any format, and his acting was spot-on. So, yes, I was able to excuse the fact that he didn't look like he'd ever be able to lift a cart. ... But then again how many Valjeans actually are built like bison?

re: 'Broadway's favorite new musical comedy ever.'
 Nov 18 2008, 08:28:28 PM
I think that statement IS Mel being funny. It blatantly reeks of someone who is trying to over-promote their show (ala Bialystock?), so I wouldn't even try to take it seriously.
re: Rent Tour
 Oct 8 2008, 07:30:06 PM
Probably Philadelphia, PA, which is about a 2 or 2.5 hour drive from New York.
re: RENT Tour cast
 Oct 7 2008, 08:25:25 PM
My hopes:

Mimi: Jaime Lee would be ideal. I, personally, would rather see Dominique Roy make a triumphant return to the role, but I think that's highly unlikely.

Angel: Even though he's been in the role for years upon years, Justin would be my pick. He's just so perfect for the part.

Collins: I really hope they don't cast Destan as Collins ... What a mind-numbingly boring actor. I would either like to see someone knew to the role or an unexpected blast from the past (i.e. Alan Mingo Jr., Calvin Grant, Horace Rogers, etc.).

Maureen: Eden or Christine Dwyer.

Joanne: Oh, man, I hope it's not Merle. IMO, she's almost as bad as Destan Owens. I'd rather see someone like Danielle Lee Greaves (what a Joanne!) or Natalie Venetia Belcon. Okay, so the latter is pretty unlikely, but whatever.

Benny: Brian M. Love or Daryl C. Brown.

re: It's official. Hairspray to close!
 Oct 2 2008, 07:52:10 PM
I'm equally upset over the fact that John Pinette probably won't be coming back as was previously rumored.
re: Best cast recording of Joseph...?
 Sep 29 2008, 03:57:50 PM
I really thought I had already replied to this (maybe this topic has already been covered?), but my favorite is the 1991 London Hateley/Donovan recording.
re: Amber Von Tussle in Hairspray
 Aug 26 2008, 12:52:58 PM
"John Pinette is my least favorite of all the Ednas."

Wow. That is honestly the first time I've ever heard someone say something negative about Pinette's Edna. What, specifically, didn't you like about his performance?

Aug 25 2008, 10:02:34 PM
"Also is your favorite Edna John Pinette?"

He is, indeed.

Aug 25 2008, 09:20:38 PM
Charlotte Crossley is an amazing Motormouth, and I have always wanted to see Constantine as Link. ... Plus, I heard a rumor about a favorite Edna of mine possibly returning this fall. This is all great news.
You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You