pixeltracker

Silly Line Delivery On Cast Recordings

Silly Line Delivery On Cast Recordings

Schmerg_The_Impaler Profile Photo
Schmerg_The_Impaler
#1Silly Line Delivery On Cast Recordings
Posted: 12/8/08 at 10:12pm

We all know that acting for film and acting for the stage are radically different. So when stage acting is captured on film, it can seem a little... silly. As can some of the spoken lines that are captured on cast recordings. Anyone have any examples of these that they've always found amusing?

For me, the number one is Terrence Mann on the BatB OBC recording. Every line he says sounds demented, like a brain-damaged Norwegian dude. And I LOVE him as a performer, but his intonation just makes me giggle. And I'm always impersonating his, "Alright... alright... alright... NOOOOOWWWWWWW!"

Also, Gary Morris as Jean Valjean on the Complete Symphonic Recording. "Let me gooo, he's no more than a booooy." The most camp Valjean ever! And Sherie Rene Scott on the Little Mermaid OBC with all of her many, many lines-- "You've got to get dear old princy-poo to KISS you!"

Anyone else have a good example?

In my pants, she has burst like the music of angels, the light of the sun! --Marius Pantsmercy

TimeSquare3 Profile Photo
TimeSquare3
#2re: Silly Line Delivery On Cast Recordings
Posted: 12/8/08 at 10:22pm

Not Silly Line delivery but Seth Rudesky was talking about the Grease revival CR that Rosie was in. At the end in the show, Rizzo (Rosie) was supposed to kiss Eugene. Well, on the CR she says "Hey Eugene!"
Silence
Crowd cheers.

There was no sound effect at all which would confuse the hell out of people who haven't seen the show.

<<-- Help save Terminator: SCC
"The gay one?" -- Marissa Jaret Winokur on the Jonas Brothers.

givesmevoice Profile Photo
givesmevoice
#2re: Silly Line Delivery On Cast Recordings
Posted: 12/8/08 at 10:24pm

how about every line that Bob Gunton has on the OBC of Evita?

oh, and on the OLC for Miss Saigon, during "The Heat Is On in Saigon," the way John says "Chris"... it's kind of a "CHREE-YAS!" very sassy Southern lady of him.

When I see the phrase "the ____ estate", I imagine a vast mansion in the country full of monocled men and high-collared women receiving letters about productions across the country and doing spit-takes at whatever they contain. -Kad

SporkGoddess
#3re: Silly Line Delivery On Cast Recordings
Posted: 12/8/08 at 10:30pm

Haha, you mean before "I've got the hots for Yvonne!" ?

Jimmy, what are you doing here in the middle of the night? It's almost 9 PM!

lull89 Profile Photo
lull89
#4re: Silly Line Delivery On Cast Recordings
Posted: 12/8/08 at 10:43pm

I totally agree with you on BatB OBC. I think the most hilarious one is when he goes "OOOOOOOH YES" after Belle asks to have dinner with him. I think our more mature readers will know what it sounds like out of context.

singerunlimited
#5re: Silly Line Delivery On Cast Recordings
Posted: 12/9/08 at 12:26am

The Mamma Mia! OCR, during the song "Mamma Mia", the way she says, "I have to go and clean out my handbag... or something"... Classic!

bwaylvsong
#6re: Silly Line Delivery On Cast Recordings
Posted: 12/9/08 at 12:49am

I forget which song, but on the Ragtime OBCR, when Audra says the line "it doesn't matter," it sounds really awkward.

Neverandy Profile Photo
Neverandy
#7re: Silly Line Delivery On Cast Recordings
Posted: 12/9/08 at 12:54am

Gotta be "Please don't doubt me Ellen!" from Saigon!

Other than that, did you enjoy the play Mrs Lincoln?

crzyray Profile Photo
crzyray
CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#9re: Silly Line Delivery On Cast Recordings
Posted: 12/9/08 at 2:55am

Pretty much all of the dialogue on the Spring Awakening CD. They all sound like robots. It wasn't delivered that way in the theatre. Not to me.

Justin D Profile Photo
Justin D
#10re: Silly Line Delivery On Cast Recordings
Posted: 12/9/08 at 8:03am

Almost everything Joe says in the London Sunset Blvd. Recording.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27199361@N08/ Phantom at the Royal Empire Theatre

Smaxie Profile Photo
Smaxie
#11re: Silly Line Delivery On Cast Recordings
Posted: 12/9/08 at 8:55am

I'm not sure who the actress is, but whoever played the "Rabelais!" role of the "Pick-a-Little" ladies in the London cast recording of The Music Man. She screams all of her lines, and she's hilarious. Particularly when she bellows out, "The MAAAAAN lived on MY street. Let MEEEEEE tell!"

Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end: then stop.

givesmevoice Profile Photo
givesmevoice
#12re: Silly Line Delivery On Cast Recordings
Posted: 12/9/08 at 9:09am

Almost everything Joe says in the London Sunset Blvd. Recording.

how about almost everything almost everyone says on that recording? God I love that cast recording.

When I see the phrase "the ____ estate", I imagine a vast mansion in the country full of monocled men and high-collared women receiving letters about productions across the country and doing spit-takes at whatever they contain. -Kad

fetzles1490
#13re: Silly Line Delivery On Cast Recordings
Posted: 12/9/08 at 10:45am

I was just listening to Hey Kendra from 13, and all of the dialogue in that song (and the whole cast recording, really) is HORRIBLY awkward.

PiraguaGuy2
#14re: Silly Line Delivery On Cast Recordings
Posted: 12/9/08 at 10:59am

"I hate the fall" in "Goodbye Love" from the Rent movie recording.

Formerly SirNotAppearing - Joined 3/08

Calvin Profile Photo
Calvin
#15re: Silly Line Delivery On Cast Recordings
Posted: 12/9/08 at 11:03am

The Kopit/Yeston "Phantom" recording has some of the worst line readings I've ever heard.

Enjolras77 Profile Photo
Enjolras77
#16re: Silly Line Delivery On Cast Recordings
Posted: 12/9/08 at 1:53pm

For anyone who has ever performed in The Pajama Game, there is a misprint in either the vocal parts or in the libretto (it only appears in one of them) where Sid's cue line to begin "There Once Was a Man" is incorrect.

The line should read "I love you more than all the heroes in all the history books." However, it is incorrectly written as "I love you more than all the homes in all the history books."

I point this out because on the 2-disc Judy Kaye studio cast recording, Sid actually says "homes" on the CD. The first time I heard it I was like WTF? Then I did the show and saw the misprint in the rental materials.

Here is a link where you can hear it for yourself:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0FOi9GKMes

"You pile up enough tomorrows, and you'll find you are left with nothing but a lot of empty yesterdays. I don't know about you, but I'd like to make today worth remembering." --Harold Hill from The Music Man
Updated On: 12/9/08 at 01:53 PM

Byron Abens
#17re: Silly Line Delivery On Cast Recordings
Posted: 12/9/08 at 6:41pm

It's been a long time since I've listened to it, but I always found Alan Cambell and Judy Kuhn to sound far more extreme and hammy on the LA Sunset Blvd than Kevin Anderson and Meredith Braun on the London recording. Alan and Judy sounded like they were emoting to the catwalks like a pair of high schoolers.

caitlinette Profile Photo
caitlinette
#18re: Silly Line Delivery On Cast Recordings
Posted: 12/9/08 at 8:31pm

The Kopit/Yeston "Phantom" recording has some of the worst line readings I've ever heard.

Totally! Especially the guy who plays Christine's boyfriend...Just excruciating, especially with that French accent.

Schmerg_The_Impaler
#19re: Silly Line Delivery On Cast Recordings
Posted: 12/9/08 at 8:41pm

The OLC Phantom of the Opera had some Michael Crawford silliness, my favourite being just before the title song:

"CHRISTINE!

AAAAAAAAANGEL!"

Michael Crawford has such an interesting speaking voice. It's how I imagine Voldemort to sound in the Harry Potter books. Somehow, I thought it was awesome on Phantom and irritating on "The Woman In White." In "The Woman In White," whenever he had to deliver a speaking line, he sounded like someone's ancient maiden aunt with slight dementia who believed she was from Italy but wasn't.

In my pants, she has burst like the music of angels, the light of the sun! --Marius Pantsmercy
Updated On: 12/9/08 at 08:41 PM

SporkGoddess
#20re: Silly Line Delivery On Cast Recordings
Posted: 12/9/08 at 8:41pm

Haha, I forgot about that. I also remember "JUUUST published!"

Jimmy, what are you doing here in the middle of the night? It's almost 9 PM!

caitlinette
#21re: Silly Line Delivery On Cast Recordings
Posted: 12/9/08 at 8:46pm

Schmerg, I always thought that was Raoul saying that.

Schmerg_The_Impaler
#22re: Silly Line Delivery On Cast Recordings
Posted: 12/9/08 at 8:48pm

Well, Raoul says "Christine", but I thought Phantom says "Angel!" I put the "Christine" bit in there, because they're said in such close proximity to each other. If that's wrong, feel free to correct me, though!

caitlinette
#23re: Silly Line Delivery On Cast Recordings
Posted: 12/9/08 at 9:47pm

Ah, interesting. I never thought about it like that. I assumed it was raoul blurting out what he was thinking, or putting it together..."Christine is gone...with...her...OMG, ANGEL!"

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#25re: Silly Line Delivery On Cast Recordings
Posted: 12/9/08 at 10:02pm

The Libretto has Raoul saying "Christine, angel!" He's calling out to her as the door unlocks and he bursts in to find the room empty. It's never been the Phantom saying it. He's not even visible at that moment and is in fact busy getting into the boat. The Phantom doesn't even have another spoken or sung line until "I have brought you..." as the entire title song is pre-recorded.

Updated On: 12/10/08 at 10:02 PM