News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for MemorableUserName

Member Name: MemorableUserName
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

APPROPRIATE Transferring to the Belasco
 Jun 22 2024, 11:51:02 AM

If anyone wants to see Appropriate and doesn't mind missing Sarah Paulson, she's out today, so there's a lot of availability. Someone on Reddit reported they got good orchestra seats at the box office for $45 (the rush price).

CABARET at the Kit Kat Club (2024) Opening Night Critics' Reviews
 Jun 22 2024, 11:41:03 AM

I believe the only recourse would be to get a refund and then buy a cheaper ticket if you still want to see it. With dynamic pricing, there's no telling what the cheaper price would necessarily be for the seat you purchased for them to calculate any kind of price difference. Those Monday prices were constantly evolving. In the case of Eddie's Monday absence, it was scheduled and announced well in advance, so they normally wouldn't give you a refund for that, but since Gayle w

FOLLIES at Carnegie Hall
 Jun 21 2024, 12:52:02 AM

I enjoyed it a great deal without quite loving it, though I'm not sure why. The earlier comment about the direction may have had something to do with it. The pacing and flow seemed off, or something.

I have to give Kate Baldwin credit. I wasn't particularly excited when she was announced; nothing against her, she's just not someone I think of as a big name, even as a two-time Tony nominee. But she gave my favorite performance of the night. I thought her "Losing My

'CATS: The Jellicle Ball' at PAC reviews
 Jun 20 2024, 11:48:03 PM

Robbie2 said: "TaffyDavenport said: "Dan6 said: "From the fact that everyone posting seems to think their seats are the perfect location, it sounds like there probably isn't a bad seat in the theater. But since I want to get the most out of this experience (and can't afford the cabaret tables), just asking anyone who has an opinion for the best option between (1) side runway, (2) orchestra, or (3) first balcony above orchestra? Maybe it's the result of that first video promo, but I like the idea of sitting facing the end of the runway and seeing everyone come towards me. On the other hand, it's hard to tell from the seating chart and photos how far back the center orchestra/balcony are, and it also sounds like I'd be looking at Andre's back most of the time. Thanks for any help!"

The thing I likeabout the very ends of the lower balcony (O 201 and O 251/P 201 and P 242) is that theyoffera happy medium between the runway and orchestra sections.You're closer to the runway like the runway seats, but have more of a front view like the orchestra, and, like I said before, you're not behind the judges' table, but can see Andre De Shields' face the whole time. I was never noticeably looking at people's backs.
"

TaffyD we have lower balcony seats O 238 -243 how are they for views?
"

Here's the person on Reddit who was unhappy with P239, but based on their photos, row O should be fine (no obstructions from bars): https://www.reddit.com/r/Broadway/comments/1dk620m/cats_the_jellicle_ball_seating/

'CATS: The Jellicle Ball' at PAC reviews
 Jun 20 2024, 11:10:44 PM

Dan6 said: "From the fact that everyone posting seems to think their seats are the perfect location, it sounds like there probably isn't a bad seat in the theater. But since I want to get the most out of this experience (and can't afford the cabaret tables), just asking anyone who has an opinion for the best option between (1) side runway, (2) orchestra, or (3) first balcony above orchestra? Maybe it's the result of that first video promo, but I like the idea of sitting f

NYP: Broadway sings New York’s blues as crime, costs slow post-COVID comeback
 Jun 20 2024, 05:03:34 PM

Broadway Flash said: "On 8th avenue? With kids running around? Them blasting salsa music? And having a weed party. This is totally fine with you?"

Jun 20 2024, 09:45:25 AM

MezzA101 said: "Horror stories from NYC’s 8th Ave. ‘Strip of Despair’ — where stabbings, drug use and public defecation are the norm

https://nypost.com/2024/06/17/us-news/horror-stories-from-nycs-8th-ave-strip-of-despair?

My intent is not to scare people or to have posters report that it's only the Post and doesn't reflect reality. Rather, that there is enough truth to the perception andBroadway has to deal with a reduced interest from out of town because of the perception. I was amazed seeing how often "Sweeney Todd" had lots of tickets available often just days before every performance and yet still managed to sell out. It's not just the new post- Covid reality. All of us here care about Broadway and this perception is a major threat. Saying your experience is proof that the reality is different will not bring in the tourists.
"

I was trying not to feed this thread, but since it won't die, I'll just ask. What's the problem with this or what is it intended to prove?

I was amazed seeing how often "Sweeney Todd" had lots of tickets available often just days before every performance and yet still managed to sell out.

Post-pandemic, ticket buyers aren't buying in advance, which has nothing to do with purported crime. It has to do with restrictions and lack of refunds and people not wanting to plan in advance. If the show still sold out, what's the problem?

Similarly, last week, Inside Out 2 was being projected to open to $85 domestically and $135 globally based on advanced sales. When the actual numbers came out, it made $155 domestically due to walkups and day-of purchases. People simply aren't buying in advance as much.

Jun 20 2024, 09:36:50 AM

WhoCouldBeBlue said: "Jordan Catalano said: "BroadwayPatriot said: "There are Trump supporters everywhere most of them are normal”

No, they’re not.

“It’s the Trump cultist with the MAGA stuff that are bizarre”

No, they all are because they value a fake billionaire/failed reality tv game show host/convicted felon/rapist over the lives and safety of people around them

“my

Jun 19 2024, 12:58:17 PM

If anyone wants to see with show without Redmayne and/or at a more reasonable price, Monday nights are definitely the time to go. It's not just selling a lot slower; the prices are also lower, and dropped closer to the date. The show was also on TKTS Monday. Presumably it will be on future Mondays too. 

The 77th Annual TONY Awards Performances
 Jun 18 2024, 03:00:06 PM

Did you follow chrishuyen's link? They're all still showing/playable for me.

Jun 17 2024, 06:57:59 PM

Hilarious

Vulture: 

BIENVEN-EW 3:28 P.M.

So You Saw That Creepy Eddie Redmayne Cabaret Performance

https://www.vulture.com/article/tonys-2024-eddie-redmayne-cabaret-performance.html

"To those defending the performance, saying it’s unsubtle because it’s meant for a live theater and not TV, and furthermore, it’s taken out of context: I have seen this performance in its context at the August Wilson Theatre. It is just as frightening because he is there in the room with you.

To those saying that American audiences simply don’t understand the dark and grotesque themes that Redmayne & Co. are getting at (this production is a London import): au contraire, mon cher. These themes are made very clear in the book and score of this musical; it’s just that other productions and performers trust audiences to figure it out for themselves, whereas this team thinks they need to spoon-feed and scream the “banality of evil” messaging at you. By holding audience members’ hands and guiding them through upsetting material encased in the enticing, friendly form of a musical, this production is far less radical than it thinks."

The 77th Annual TONY Awards Performances
 Jun 17 2024, 06:54:28 PM

Hilarious

Vulture: 

BIENVEN-EW 3:28 P.M.

So You Saw That Creepy Eddie Redmayne Cabaret Performance

https://www.vulture.com/article/tonys-2024-eddie-redmayne-cabaret-performance.html

"On Sunday night’s Tony Awards broadcast, the Best Revival of a Musical–nominated production of the so-good-and-classic-it’s-honestly-hard-to-****-it-up-this-bad Kander and Ebb show staged a performance of its opening number, “Willkommen,” without so much as a trigger warning. Redmayne’s portrayal of the role made iconic by Joel Grey is scary in all the wrong ways. The Emcee should definitely be a menacing, uncanny figure, but he’s also actually supposed to lure the audience in for the show’s knife twists to work. This song is an invitation and an induction. The Emcee must have a degree of charm, or sex appeal, or feeling of camaraderie, so that you get that gut-sinking feeling of complicity as the fascism closes in.

But Redmayne is repulsive and confusing, igniting a fight-or-flight response in thousands of innocent viewers who did nothing to deserve this. Looking like a waxy Five Nights at Freddy’s malfunctioning animatronic stripped of its fuzzy bulk and coated in a taut layer of borrowed human skin, he is shot in extreme close-up as he makes direct eye contact through the television screen into your living room. He can see you. He can eat your thoughts. If given the choice between Redmayne and Samara, I would try my luck with Samara. Having watched this, I am not convinced I won’t die in seven days."

2024 Tony Awards
 Jun 17 2024, 06:36:33 PM

ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "Is the pre-show not streaming on Pluto TV? I can't find it."

They livestreamed it on Pluto's Entertainment Tonight "channel," but I don't think it was retained to watch later. That channel has since reverted back to regular programming.

2024 Tony Awards
 Jun 17 2024, 12:17:25 PM

MemorableUserName said: "So interesting to read this thread alongside Deadline's liveblog, where they claim it's been a fantastic night of performances without a clunker in the bunch. (But would they really admit it if they didn't care for any?)"

To follow up on this, I just saw Deadline's Snubs/Surprises article, and it turns out they did call out one of the performances, which they didn't in their liveblog.

https://deadline.com/2024/06/2024-tony-awards-snubs-surprises-1235975024/

"Fortunately, most of the musical numbers were much better, “most” being the operative word. The big exception: Cabaret. Not only did the revival’s producers keep Gayle Rankin away from the mic — I mean, doesn’t Cabaret sorta belong to Sally Bowles? — but Eddie Redmayne’s herky-jerky performance as the Emcee (he sang “Willkommen”) seemed even more, shall we say, eccentric with TV cameras in his face than it does at the August Wilson Theatre. I’m very curious to know how it played to the uninitiated"

2024 Tony Awards
 Jun 17 2024, 12:15:13 PM

It's possible for some of us to understand the reasoning behind something and yet not feel that it was particularly well executed in practice, which is my opinion of the Waitress performance. (I think they could have chosen a different song in that case, but again, I understand why they chose that one since it was the show's signature number.)

2024 Tony Awards
 Jun 17 2024, 11:46:51 AM

I skipped the Hell's Kitchen performance because I'm not interested (and I'm sure the posters who are full of insinuations will have more about that, though I also skipped Tommy for the same reason), but it's not true that no one complained about the Waitress performance, because I did. I love Sara Bareilles and get why they did it, but that's a song that builds in emotion, and forcing Jessie Mueller to jump in halfway through emoting all over the place without that build

2024 Tony Awards
 Jun 16 2024, 10:25:56 PM

So interesting to read this thread alongside Deadline's liveblog, where they claim it's been a fantastic night of performances without a clunker in the bunch. (But would they really admit it if they didn't care for any?)

2024 Tony Awards
 Jun 16 2024, 10:16:55 PM

If they've done it before, I must have forgotten. I still think it's weird to announce one lead category two plus hours before/after the other.

2024 Tony Awards
 Jun 16 2024, 10:08:35 PM

It's so weird that they did Lead Actor in a Play at the top of the show but are holding all the other Lead categories for the final hour (like awards shoes usually do). Is it somehow less prestigious this year? Not enough stars? Strong at least seems popular enough they might have wanted to hold his possible win to later so people stayed tune.

2024 Tony Awards
 Jun 16 2024, 09:53:18 PM

PipingHotPiccolo said: "

* Stereophonics achieved very little with that performance. No intro, no build, just a minute of unexplained aggressive singing? What was the point?

It was a power (or a**hole) move by producers who didn't want them on the show, were forced to let them perform against their wishes, and gave them the bare minimum to do so to show who's boss.

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You