News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for henrikegerman

henrikegerman Profile Photo
Member Name: henrikegerman
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Erivo, Graham, Gotay, and more to lead A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC IN CONCERT  Mar 25 2024, 11:00:36 AM

Marsha Mason an inspired choice for Mme. Armfeldt.  She will command the comedy particularly in the book scenes and, i would guess, also in song.

Next Sondheim?  Mar 22 2024, 10:19:19 AM

Winslet as Desiree
Karimloo as Frederick
Plimpton as Charlotte
Ann-Margret as Mme. Armfeldt

Scandal in Oz: Was 'Over the Rainbow' Plagiarized?  Mar 10 2024, 12:46:58 PM

Arlen's song stands on its own as a masterwork even if it had been a mindful and credited (or generally if tacitly accepted) adaptation/interpolation of Lund's theme, not an uncommon practice in pop song writing, e.g., I'm Always Chasing Rainbows from Chopin's Fantasie-Impromptu. 

A question I have though on these kinds of suits.  Leaving aside all other issues, were a court/jury to find that a work is not a delib

Scandal in Oz: Was 'Over the Rainbow' Plagiarized?  Mar 9 2024, 08:49:40 PM

Either he hadn't hear the piece and it's a wild coincidence - which do actually happen sometimes, who among us hasn't experienced one? - or he reflected the theme (which begins well into the piece), whether he realized it or not.  The similarity is blatant.

Baker's Wife in Into The Woods Arc  Feb 27 2024, 10:57:25 AM

This is a great question. 

I felt a very personal connection with this character when I first saw the original production so my answer has to begin and end with Gleason.  Her performance was utterly natural and almost uniquely comedically economical. Everything she did was instantly endearing and funny.  It remains the most charming performance I have ever seen. Period. 

So part of the triumphant impact of Moments in the Woods was that she w

Broadway Cares ripped for directing funds to Gaza  Feb 14 2024, 10:34:29 AM

Whoever thinks that BCEFA solely supports the acting community, doesn't know the breadth and scope of the great work done by the organization. 

I'm sorry but any objections to these donations - comparing them to BCEFA supporting the NRA, really? REALLY?! - are at best showing an ignorance and misunderstanding, at worst, something far worse.

Great songs given to minor/insignificant characters  Feb 5 2024, 10:59:02 AM

All I Need Now is the Girl  
The Miller's Son 
Not a Day Goes By 
Sit Down You're Rockin the Boat 

FAR FROM HEAVEN reviews  Feb 5 2024, 10:56:55 AM

Intrigued that Kelli has played two Julianne Moore movie roles on stage, The Hours and Far from Heaven. She could keep going with this, lol.

Q  Nov 6 2023, 11:14:10 AM

Agree Act 2 has exquisite moments.  The way the inert inability to exit is staged and underscored is marvelous.  The beautiful scene between DHP and RBJ is a pure hypo shot of love. I also loved the bear!

But it is not as fully realized as Act 1--and I don't mean the absence of songs, which I think is spot on!  And as a great movie adaptation, loose but still evoking the joy, brilliance and essence of the source, light years away from Act 1's delightful take

Imelda Staunton & Jenna Russell to lead HELLO DOLLY in London  Nov 2 2023, 09:51:04 AM

Feeling the need to stand up for Imelda.

The Imelda opprobrium seems to date - after decades of near Imelda idolatry - only from her Gypsy shot for tv.  I

I saw her as Rose on stage.  Like most, i was awed by her, in her complete grasp and found the show light years ahead of every Gypsy production I've ever seen - which btw are many, including with Daly, Lavin, Lupone and Buckley.  Staunton's stage performance was almost if not completely universal

Sondheim/Ives HERE WE ARE @ The Shed  Oct 27 2023, 02:40:36 PM

bear88 said: "henrikegerman said: "Act 1 is a delightful surprise, hilarious, beautiful to look at, charming, spirited, fresh and fun. It is a great free adaptation fully in the spirit of Discreet Charm.

In Act 2 not only is Buñuel's subtle atmospheric tone in Exterminating Angel barely recognizable, but, though there are some lovely scenelets (Bay Jones and Hyde Pierce have a quet, funny, lyrical and poignant moment together), the show too often gets b

Sondheim/Ives HERE WE ARE @ The Shed  Oct 26 2023, 07:53:54 AM

Act 1 is a delightful surprise, hilarious, beautiful to look at, charming, spirited, fresh and fun.  It is a great free adaptation fully in the spirit of Discreet Charm.

In Act 2 not only is Buñuel's subtle atmospheric tone in Exterminating Angel barely recognizable, but, though there are some lovely scenelets (Bay Jones and Hyde Pierce have a quet, funny, lyrical and poignant moment together), the show too often gets bogged down in the tritest most cliché st

Favorite and/or Best Movie-to-Musicals, 1980s to Present  Oct 14 2023, 11:27:36 AM

Hairspray, The Band's Visit, Little Shop and La Cage 

guilty pleasure: Xanadu 

MERRILY WE ROLL ALONG Reviews  Oct 12 2023, 07:30:02 PM

ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "Jumpin_J said: "barcelona20 said: "Any chance this gets filmed?"
There's a film version already in production with Ben Platt and Beanie Feldstein so it's unlikely this one will.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Merrily_We_Roll_Along_(film)
"

I don't know how the rights would work for this, but my assumption is the rightsholders would not have prevented a stage production from being filmed/release, since the Linklater film is such a long undertaking where 1,000 things could go wrong. It's more of a thought experiment than a traditional film, at this point. It is being financed independently and doesn't have a distributor. The company that distributes it in fifteen years might not even exist yet!
"

Since the release date of the Linklater film would, assuming for the argument all goes according to plan, be 2039.

I'm not sure how this would work with the rights, but why couldn't we get both?  Couldn't a successful filming of this production actually be good for Linklater's film?  

Biggest Tony Award Snubs Ever  Oct 12 2023, 08:54:08 AM

not nominated:

Chita Rivera  WEST SIDE STORY

Barbara Cook  SHE LOVES ME

Cursed Child... right or wrong to support?  Sep 15 2023, 12:52:58 PM

If I felt that Rowling was hateful it would be one thing.

I don't. 

Rowling is expressing a point of view about sex and gender.  We need an open and real discussion about sex and gender.  We need people to be free to speak their thoughts.  As a society, we are at our infancy in discussing these issues.  There will be growing pains.  Open argument and exchange of ideas is important and necessary to progress and understanding in this area.

Which Actors Have Done Multiple Broadway Shows Together?  Sep 11 2023, 10:15:23 AM

Laura Linney and Liam Neeson may have only done The Crucible on stage -- they were both brilliant! - but they co-starred on screen in Kinsey; Love, Actually and The Other Man and on tv in The Big C. 

Linklater’s MERRILY WE ROLL ALONG film recasts Frank  Sep 5 2023, 07:58:30 AM

broadwayboy223 said: "If beanie couldn't sing funny girl. Can she sing this? lol"

Um, well, to put it politely and understatedly, the vocal demands of the roles are somewhat different.

"Honestly, I wonder if this project would be cheaper long term if Linklater hedged, and shot this movie with three completely different sets of actors simultaneously."

Linklater has made legendary--and legendarily moving- filmmaking with this lon

Aug 4 2023, 01:10:28 PM

Michelle Williams as Sally 
Sam Rockwell as Buddy 
Kate Winslet as Phyllis  
Patrick Wilson as Ben 

Toni Collette as Carlota .. she'd be great as Sally too but my heart says Williams

Tonya Pinkins as Hattie or Stella

Jane Krakowski as Stella or Hattie 

Ludivine Sagnier as Solange 

Teresa Stratas as Heidi

Next to normal Donmar Warehouse  Jul 27 2023, 08:44:53 AM

CL is Canadian. So (with or without US dual citizenship) she is a British Commonwealth National.  Unless I'm mistaken, this completely moots the discussion of her not being British and working on the London stage. 

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You