News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for ComingUpRoses2

ComingUpRoses2 Profile Photo
Member Name: ComingUpRoses2
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Would any television network have the guts to livecast CABARET?  Aug 28 2017, 02:40:50 PM

I've always thought this would make a great live musical. No, it isn't family friendly, but who cares? There are only so many of those anyway. Give it to HBO or something. Emma Stone was pretty great in the recent revival. I wonder if they could persuade her to return. It'd certainly bring in viewers. 

GYPSY 1989 revival  Aug 13 2017, 06:14:40 PM

Just revive GYPSY like they did CHICAGO and replace Rose with someone new every few months. haha!

GYPSY 1989 revival  Aug 12 2017, 02:52:31 PM

Betty Buckley was easily the best sung Rose I've ever heard, but her vision of the character was odd to say the least. I don't think she landed even one laugh the entire night. Very serious and kinda depressed. She just wasn't much fun. It was an interesting and potentially valid approach, but it made for a long evening. Still, that voice...it at least deserved a cast recording. 

I haven't heard much about the Staunton version coming to Broadway recently. I ca

Movie Musicals  Aug 12 2017, 02:45:35 PM

I think the live singing worked beautifully in some scenes and not much much in others. Anne Hathaway managed to pull it off, but a lot of others simply couldn't and needed all the studio help they could get. It depends on the context of the song (emotional songs tend to work much better live, because the actors never knows what their performance will be like from take to take) and the talent they're using (even Broadway performers would find it difficult to do 30 takes of a song like "Bring Him Home" or "I Dreamed A Dream."

I'm a big fan of mixing and matching live and studio if possible. "My Man" in Funny Girl is a great example. They did the more emotional first part live and dubbed in a studio version for the big, belty part to make sure all of those glorious notes were given full justice. 

Movie musicals are genuinely just very hard to do right. It's not an exact science, because every musical is different. Even great shows can be transferred to film more or less intact (like Gypsy) and not feel right or "cinematic" enough. If the casting is off, if it feels too stage-bound, and if the director has no imagination in staging the numbers (or isn't very musical to begin with), it's not going to work.

Look at a number like "Rose's Turn." On stage, it brings the house down with just a spotlight on the actress playing Rose and a blank stage. On film, if it's presented that same way (as it, unfortunately, was in both filmed versions of the show), it lands with a big thud. A director and screenwriter need a vision to make a scene like that cinematic. Even getting into the character's head and having her imagine a huge audience screaming for her could work wonders and be a million times more cinematic and interesting. 

GYPSY 1989 revival  Aug 11 2017, 01:24:21 PM

I still think Daly's "Everything's Coming Up Roses" is the scariest one I've ever seen. I remember shaking by the end of it and even welling up a little bit. There was something so desperate about it. It was like a woman possessed. I'm not sure why or what she did to make it so frightening, but it was magic. 

GYPSY 1989 revival  Aug 10 2017, 03:29:55 PM

Minnelli's "Rose's Turn" is thrilling. I think she could have been a brilliant Rose, because, when you think about it, they're very similar. I think Liza could relate to being born at the wrong time. By the time she was coming around in the 60's, her style was already outdated, so I'm sure she could relate to Rose's off sense of timing. I believe Arthur Laurents thought she was too "raz ma tazz" for the role, but I'm sure they could have dr

GYPSY 1989 revival  Aug 9 2017, 02:22:49 PM

That's what I never got -  how Daly seemed like she'd be a huge train wreck and Lavin seemed like much more of a natural and, yet, Daly was excellent and Lavin was just...there. 

At least we'll always have that clip of Lavin's "Some People", which really is terrific. I wish she'd played it like that on stage. Then again, Imelda Staunton was horrible on the BBC broadcast and absolutely excellent live. It was like 2 completely different performance

GYPSY 1989 revival  Aug 8 2017, 08:32:03 PM

Daly, to me, was perfection as Rose. I've never seen a funnier, more salt-of-the-earth Rose in my life. It wasn't a big grandiose performance as so many tend to do when they play the character (a la Bette Milder, who rarely seems like a human being in her version). She felt like a real person and she was complicated, hilarious, pathetic, charming, terrifying, and heartbreaking. While she didn't have the ideal singing voice for it, you sort of forgot about it. I've never seen a

Rose in GYPSY - Could She Have Really Been A Star?  Jul 30 2017, 05:20:10 PM

I don't believe she did. Seems like such a no brainer. I wonder why it never happened. It's one of those roles where I'd pretty much like to see anyone take a crack at it. Every interpretation I've seen at least has a few interesting moments. 

Rose in GYPSY - Could She Have Really Been A Star?  Jul 30 2017, 01:18:49 PM

Thanks fro your insights, everybody. I love having these kinds of discussions. 

Rose in GYPSY - Could She Have Really Been A Star?  Jul 29 2017, 08:11:57 PM

Donna would be excellent! If not her, Toni Collette. 

Rose in GYPSY - Could She Have Really Been A Star?  Jul 29 2017, 03:20:30 PM

I do think that was an excellent choice by Laurents. I found this recent ending to be the most powerful personally, especially with Louise laughing haughtily and leaving Rose alone on the stage. I found that very moving. I usually can't stand the last few seconds of the show with Rose and Louise acting like no damage has been done and walking off into the sunset. I prefer the more truthful ending Laurents gave us. 

LITTLE SHOP Remanke starring Rebel Wilson and Josh Gad?  Jul 29 2017, 03:15:21 PM

I'm sure Gaga would sing the **** out of the score, but she's just not very funny or interesting on screen. It's like all these people begging for her to play Fanny Brice in FUNNY GIRL. They'd have to rename it GIRL. 

Rose in GYPSY - Could She Have Really Been A Star?  Jul 29 2017, 03:08:50 PM

I was just talking to a friend of mine about GYPSY since she's planning on producing it next year and we got to talking about Rose and if she could have ever really been a star. What do you think?

Is it more tragic that, perhaps, if she'd taken a different path in her life, she could have been a star like her daughter OR is it equally as tragic that she possessed as little talent as most of the hundreds upon thousands of hopefuls who never make it? 

If you watch all

Audra in Applause  Jul 22 2017, 11:26:56 PM

If you're going to revive a Laurel Bacall musical, revive Woman of the Year. It's a far better score. 

Hello Dolly film (1969) on Netflix  Jul 3 2017, 05:18:27 PM

It's really not a terrible movie and a lot of great Broadway shows have suffered far worse fates when brought to film, but I do have to admit that I find Michael Crawford to be truly awful in the film. He grates my nerves so much every time he's on screen. 

Sure, Babs might have been too young for the role, but she definitely commits and is quite funny (and of course sings the score better than anyone ever has and probably every will). 

replacements  Jun 8 2017, 06:22:41 PM

Definitely Emma Stone in Cabaret. Michelle Williams was...fine I guess, but she seemed like she was trying too hard. Emma nailed Sally in a way that I haven't seen since Natasha Richardson and Jennifer Jason Leigh. She was so effortless and there was a strange kind of joy to her performance. You could tell it was a role she'd always wanted to play. 

The less said about Sienna Miller the better. I've never seen a Sally disappear into the background like she did.&nb

Roles for Hugh Jackman  Mar 30 2017, 02:01:57 PM

He'd probably be a pretty good Ben Stone in Follies in a few years. 

If Hello Dolly could extend its run?  Mar 27 2017, 05:25:57 PM

Reba would nail it. Does Parker Posey sing? She could be funny. 

That Allison Janney idea got me thinking about her in MAME as well. She'd be great, acting-wise. I don't know if her voice would work for it. From her performance in 9 to 5, it seemed higher than, say, Carol Channing or Lauren Bacall, but not by much. 

Roles for Catherine Zeta Jones!  Mar 14 2017, 06:11:15 PM

I can't believe no one's mentioned Rose in Gypsy yet. She'd be a natural. 

I heard Rob Marshall was in serious talks to do a film remake of Gypsy after Chicago with her as Rose, but Arthur Laurents didn't want her because she was a "second banana." I think he was wrong about that. 

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You