News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for Feldzieg

Member Name: Feldzieg
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Wilkommen translation  Mar 30 2019, 04:21:49 AM

Does anyone know why it says „glücklich zu sehen“? It is the literal translation of „happy to see you“ but German speakers  would not say that. They would say „Schön, Sie zu sehen“ which is sometimes used in German versions of the show. 

I’m just wondering if there is any reason behind this or if it’s just a translation error. And if it’s an error, how can such an obvious mistake stay

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 3/25/18  Mar 27 2018, 05:40:52 AM

Which schmuck paid $247 to see Rocktopia?

MEAN GIRLS Previews  Mar 13 2018, 05:19:42 AM

I'm excited to see this during my upcoming trip in April. I have not seen the movie, however. To those of you who have seen both: does it enhance the experience to have seen the movie beforehand or should I go in cold?

Longest Runs That Never Recouped  Nov 22 2017, 11:38:58 AM

Thanks, people! Really helpful!

Longest Runs That Never Recouped  Nov 22 2017, 09:41:33 AM

So, I got a question and need the help of experts. Figured, this is the right place :)

Which musicals come to mind that ran for a long, long time and still did not recoup in the end due to high running costs or other reasons (are there other reasons?).

Thanks very much in advance!

Schickaneder  Jul 20 2017, 06:00:17 AM

The set is nice and quite inventive - I'll give you that. I appreciated what Schwartz was trying to do with the music, although I wasn't blown away either. But the book. That must have been the most boring, nonsensical and utterly uncompelling love story I had to ever sit through. They should have emphasized the Magic Flute origins much more.

Also, it's a super Viennese show that did not even succeed in Vienna. I really don't see any commercial viability in the U.S.

Schickaneder  Jul 19 2017, 06:33:36 AM

I saw Schikaneder recently in Vienna before it closed. The book is a hot mess. It should never see a Broadway stage.

National Theatre: Follies image  Jul 7 2017, 07:54:25 AM

Do any Londoners here have a hunch how the "on sale to members" thing is expected to turn out? Currently you can only buy tickets for the extension period if your are an NT member which costs at least 80 pounds a year. Do you think they might open it up to the general public later or is interest so high that it probably sells out with members only? I wanna get tickets in December. Would prefer to avoid to shell out the additional 80 for the membership...

GROUNDHOG DAY to Take the August Wilson, Spring 2017  Sep 14 2016, 08:35:17 AM

Saw it in London and can't get too excited about a Broadway run unfortunately. It's certainly amusing and very well and inventively staged but the music was mostly forgettable for me. Maybe a case of too high expectations after the glorious Matilda but I thought it's basically a really well done theatrical adaptation of a movie everyone knows with music that doesn't add much and will not be remembered very long. Let's see - very interested in the response it will get in Ne

Something Rotten or An Act of God  May 3 2016, 10:27:58 AM

I'd do Rush for Rotten. Not very competitive. On a 2-show-day you should be fine arriving at 9:30. And yes, highly recommended. The original cast is a must-see.

People who take vacant seats at intermission  May 3 2016, 04:12:46 AM

Interesting discussion. I admit that I occasionally move seats if it does not obstruct the view of other people, meaning I don't sit directly in front of others, but move to more abandoned sections of the theatre.

Question to the former and current ushers here if what I have done in the past is okay on your watch or not. When I'm alone, I sometimes move to an aisle seat in an otherwise more or less unoccupied row in a different section after the lights go down.  I am aware

The Greatest Sondheim Song  Sep 3 2015, 09:11:38 AM

I'm gonna go with "The Road You Didn't Take" from Follies. No other song has got me thinking so much.

New Musical in Germany - Miracle of Bern  Nov 27 2014, 11:25:44 AM
It's true - there have been German language story musicals. But "Elisabeth" and "Tanz der Vampire" are both Austrian productions. Vienna was first in producing original stuff, much of it really good. Germany now follows.

And "Linie 1" is a great show, but has - to my knowledge - never had a first class production. The Grips Theater in Berlin where it is still running is tiny.

New Musical in Germany - Miracle of Bern  Nov 26 2014, 12:00:23 PM
Yeah, I was not on board at all after seeing this Youtube video. Had the exact same reaction. In the show, however, the song does work. It's not the strongest moment, but a very catchy one.
New Musical in Germany - Miracle of Bern  Nov 26 2014, 10:39:44 AM
A new musical just opened in Hamburg, Germany. Since I took the show as a real breakthrough in German Musical theatre, I thought some of you might be interested in hearing about this.

Hamburg is the 3rd largest musical theatre market after New York and London (albeit with a rather large distance between ranks 2 and 3). But up until this point, most musicals produced in Germany for the big stage were either international smash hits (Phantom, Lion King etc.) or at least mostly penned by Americans or Brits (Rocky). The few exceptions were not original story musicals but jukebox shows like “Hinterm Horizont” which is still running in Berlin. It took the music of German rock musician Udo Lindenberg and fabricated a story around it.

“The Miracle of Bern” is different. Yes, it is based on one of the most successful German movies. But it does not translate the movie as closely as possible onto the stage but rather takes the right inspirations to make it work as musical storytelling.

The show is based on a key moment in modern German history and culture. The first World Cup win of Germany’s national soccer team in 1954. You need to understand the cultural context in order to grasp the show’s emotional power. Not only was it the first win and a complete surprise since the team was a real underdog.

Keep in mind, this was nine years after the war. Nine years after the Germans tried to set the world on fire. Until then, most people knew how badly they screwed up. The Nazi regime was gone but most people still around had in some way been associated with it. They mostly avoided talking about it, though. The country was paralyzed and internationally disgraced. A lot of German men were still prisoners of war, most of them in Russia. And their families had learnt to somehow continue living without them.

The show focuses on such a family. The mother started her own business, a small bar with moderate success. Her youngest kid is infatuated with soccer. He adores soccer star Helmut Rahn (who went on to score the game-winning goal in the final) and sees him as some kind of substitute father figure. In the midst of this, the father returns from a Russian prison camp, suffering from PTSD, not even knowing of his youngest son’s existence. They struggle finding together as a family. The father comes off as an intruder while he at first does not even begin to understand how the roles in the family and the country as a whole have changed in his absence. He stubbornly tries to enforce the old rules and starts fight after fight.

All this emotionally powerful stuff is very well told in the musical format. Most melodies are intriguing and are being reprised in an emotionally fitting situation later on.

I was particularly impressed that the show did not flinch from the dark side of this story. Yes, the moment when the team wins the World Cup is incredibly cheerful. But you can only comprehend the significance of this when being fully aware of how utterly depressing these times had been. It was the first moment of collective joy. The first “we” moment after such a long time of private despair and silence. This was not so much about sports. This was about the slow building of a new country that is now, thank God, one of the world’s most respected and peaceful.

The show captures this spirit incredibly well and really delivers on the emotional side of the story. Again, I was very impressed. For me, it was the first time that I saw Broadway quality in German musical theatre. To many more shows like this!

Here is a video report about the show:

http://www.dw.de/miracle-of-bern-on-stage-in-hamburg/av-18084024

I do not expect this to move anywhere else though. The story is just too specifically German.

Question on Royalty Pools after Recoupment  Nov 19 2014, 06:21:16 AM
Thank you so much, guys!

That really helped me out!

Question on Royalty Pools after Recoupment  Nov 18 2014, 06:06:41 AM
This goes out to the handful of budgetary nerds around here.

Can you help me fully understand the royalty pool?

I know that it helps the investors to recoup faster. Instead of simply giving the creatives a fixed percentage of the Gross Weekly Box Office Receipts (which can in the worst case lead to the investors losing money while the creatives make lots of it - even though the show returns a small profit) the pool (i.e. most of the creatives, underlying rights owner, producer)

Best and Easiest Rush  Jun 27 2011, 11:06:53 AM
Relatively easy are:

Addams (get a Student Rush ticket 5 minutes before the show, cash only)

Baby, It's You (but PLEASE avoid! - horrible show)

Billy Elliot

Catch Me

Mamma Mia (on my avoid list, too)

Mary Poppins

Memphis (maybe 20 minutes before box office opens)

For Standing Room consider Chicago and Phantom.

Death Takes a Holiday  Jun 23 2011, 12:58:49 PM
I am genuinely puzzled that the same people who condemn Memphis, The Addams Family and Wicked actually like this show. For me it was the worst show I have seen in New York (okay, tied in last place with Baby, It's You).

The songs sound all the same and the book is just amateurish. We were sitting in the last row and were shaken with laughter every couple of minutes because the writing was just so incredibly bad. Everything was cliché and cheesy. The main problem is that the show ta

Advice for TKTS & 1st Bway show please?  Jun 15 2011, 09:12:37 AM
Does one of you have a student ID? That would give you lots of better options to get a cheap ticket.

If you are willing to get up early and stand in line for about 2 hours you could score rush seats for either Sister Act or How To Succeed. Would recommend the latter one - very entertaining show and they sell a lot more rush seats than Sister Act. Get in line directly in front of the theater at about 8 am. They open the Box Office at 10. Don't be intimidated if lots of people show up. Th

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You