pixeltracker

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 3/25/18

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 3/25/18

Rob Profile Photo
Rob
#1Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 3/25/18
Posted: 3/26/18 at 3:09pm

Click below to access all the Broadway grosses from all the shows for the week ending 3/25/2018 in BroadwayWorld's grosses section.

Also, you will find information on each show's historical grosses, cumulative grosses and other statistics on how each show stacked up this week and in the past.

Click Here to Visit the Broadway Grosses...

Up for the week by attendance was: SCHOOL OF ROCK (6.5%), KINKY BOOTS (4.1%), ANGELS IN AMERICA (2.2%), CHICAGO (0.8%), SPONGEBOB SQUAREPANTS (0.8%), MEAN GIRLS (0.5%),

Down for the week by attendance was: A BRONX TALE THE MUSICAL (-15.9%), ESCAPE TO MARGARITAVILLE (-15.4%), THE PLAY THAT GOES WRONG (-12.9%), THE BAND'S VISIT (-9.9%), HELLO, DOLLY! (-9.6%), LOBBY HERO (-9.4%), ANASTASIA (-9.2%), MY FAIR LADY (-8.8%), BEAUTIFUL (-6.8%), CAROUSEL (-3.8%), THREE TALL WOMEN (-3.3%), THE LION KING (-3.1%), ALADDIN (-3.0%), WAITRESS (-2.8%), COME FROM AWAY (-2.4%), FROZEN (-2.1%), ONCE ON THIS ISLAND (-2.1%), THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA (-1.8%), WICKED (-1.2%), DEAR EVAN HANSEN (-0.5%), THE BOOK OF MORMON (-0.3%),

Click Here to Visit the BroadwayWorld Grosses...

Bwayfan292 Profile Photo
Bwayfan292
#2Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 3/25/18
Posted: 3/26/18 at 3:11pm

Dang. Bronx tale took a rather large hit in attendance this week.

"Why was my post about my post being deleted, deleted, causing my account to be banned from posting" - The Lion Roars 2k18

TheCooler
#3Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 3/25/18
Posted: 3/26/18 at 3:16pm

Angels in America...WOW.   much worse than expected.   I wonder who is taking the loss on this show?  it should be a big one.

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#4Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 3/25/18
Posted: 3/26/18 at 3:21pm

You have to wonder what kind of impact the Nor'easter had on shows on Wednesday. I think those grosses for Margaritaville is what we'll see from them. I'd guess and say it's likely around their weekly nut.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#5Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 3/25/18
Posted: 3/26/18 at 3:21pm

Part of the reason why ANGELS IN AMERICA took a hit was that it lost two performances to an Opening Night. They also needed to get in press last week, and they lose TWO shows worth of pairs of comps each time. The same will happen to HARRY POTTER. So it's understandable why they're low this week. NEXT week expect a big uptick.

Glad to see that HARRY POTTER is now reporting. It's numbers will only begin to climb after it opens.

FROZEN this week also included an Opening performance, so that number will climb next week.

I'm amazed by THE ICEMAN COMETH.

"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle

little_sally Profile Photo
little_sally
#6Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 3/25/18
Posted: 3/26/18 at 3:23pm

TheCooler said: "Angels in America...WOW. much worse than expected. I wonder who is taking the loss on this show? it should be a big one.

But I'm sure it's because of all of the press seats. It did open yesterday. With the raves it got, I suspect it'll sell out now.

Also, I don't see Margaritaville lasting past the Tony noms. I was there Thursday night and there were large chunks of the orchestra empty.

A little swash, a bit of buckle - you'll love it more than bread.

barcelona20
#7Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 3/25/18
Posted: 3/26/18 at 3:27pm

Denzel = $$$$$$

Wick3 Profile Photo
Wick3
#8Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 3/25/18
Posted: 3/26/18 at 3:30pm

Did Angels have that many comps last week? Average ticket price sold was the lowest out of all the shows this past week at $56.83 per part. Heck I would buy at that price. I did have a few friends who won the Angels lottery ($37 per part) last week so I wonder if they dynamically change the number of lottery seats so they can at least have over 95% seats sold. 

bdn223 Profile Photo
bdn223
#9Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 3/25/18
Posted: 3/26/18 at 3:31pm

Bwayfan292 said: "Dang. Bronx tale took a rather large hit in attendance this week. "

It’s not as if anyone on here understands how A Bronx Tale opened to luke warm reviews at best, no major award mominarions and went on to became a sleeper that will soon be approaching 18 months on Broadway. Its become the Bridge and Tunnel “date night” musical that replaced Jersey Boys for its testosterone appeal. I am sure that its been hurt by Jersey Boys reopening off Broadway, Margaritaville, both of which are trying to appeal to the same audience. I think the real question is how close A Bronx Tale is to recouping, as it seems to be struggling in the transition of new musical/play to long running hit, unlike its fellow 2016-2017 sleepers Anastasia and Play that Goes Wrong.

Jeffrey Karasarides Profile Photo
Jeffrey Karasarides
#10Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 3/25/18
Posted: 3/26/18 at 3:32pm

I'm astonished at how well Carousel is doing considering that it is not Rodger & Hammerstein's most commercially viable musical.

Markie27 Profile Photo
Markie27
#11Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 3/25/18
Posted: 3/26/18 at 3:32pm

I believe there were two press days last week for Angels in America. One on Wednesday and one for opening might. And both days are for parts one and two so a number of orchestra seats are comps for a total of four shows.

LesWickedly Profile Photo
LesWickedly
#12Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 3/25/18
Posted: 3/26/18 at 3:34pm

As everone has said, Angels took a hit for all the press comps and opening day comps, but they will go back up this next week and I believe the raves will also help it. Happy to see Harry Potter grosses are in. 

Updated On: 3/26/18 at 03:34 PM

Angel2018
#13Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 3/25/18
Posted: 3/26/18 at 3:38pm

LesWickedly said: "As everone has said, Angels took a hit for all the press comps and opening day comps, but they will go back up this next week and I believe the raves will also help it."

The two shows on Wed (also the day of the winter storm) were predominantly press (2nd press night) and the two shows last night (opening) was mostly invite only. So that's four out of the seven shows.  The real numbers should start in the next couple weeks now that the wonky preview schedule is over

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#14Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 3/25/18
Posted: 3/26/18 at 4:41pm

Wick3 said: "Average ticket price sold was the lowest out of all the shows this past week at $56.83 perpart. Heck I would buy at that price."

Err, do you know how averages work? If you give out a lot of tickets at $0 and an equal number at $100, the average is $50, a price that no one paid to attend.

poisonivy2 Profile Photo
poisonivy2
#15Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 3/25/18
Posted: 3/26/18 at 4:45pm

Well this makes me hopeful about seeing Carousel on April 1. Obviously word of mouth can't be that bad if this is the second week in a row they've raked in over $1 mil and Carousel has a history of losing money on B'way.

AEA AGMA SM
#16Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 3/25/18
Posted: 3/26/18 at 5:02pm

poisonivy2 said: "Well this makes me hopeful about seeing Carousel on April 1. Obviously word of mouth can't be that bad if this is the second week in a row they've raked in over $1 mil and Carousel has a history of losing money on B'way."

Carousel's official opening is April 12th, so I'm not sure why you would be worried about seeing it on April 1st. It's become exceedingly rare that any show closes in previews, and I couldn't imagine a world where Scott Rudin allows one of his shows to be one of the few that does.

Jeffrey Karasarides Profile Photo
Jeffrey Karasarides
#17Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 3/25/18
Posted: 3/26/18 at 5:17pm

Though just because a production makes over $1,000,000 a week, doesn't mean it's any good. It's all a matter of audience interest.

GreasedLightning Profile Photo
GreasedLightning
#18Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 3/25/18
Posted: 3/26/18 at 10:31pm

poisonivy2 said: "Well this makes me hopeful about seeing Carousel on April 1. Obviously word of mouth can't be that bad if this is the second week in a row they've raked in over $1 mil and Carousel has a history of losing money on B'way."

You were worried about seeing a show two weeks before opening? 

BroadwayRox3588 Profile Photo
BroadwayRox3588
#19Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 3/25/18
Posted: 3/26/18 at 10:55pm

It still may very well end up losing money.

ChildofEarth Profile Photo
ChildofEarth
#20Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 3/25/18
Posted: 3/26/18 at 11:24pm

I’m so confused about Rocktopia. I was expecting dismal numbers...

poisonivy2 Profile Photo
poisonivy2
#21Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 3/25/18
Posted: 3/26/18 at 11:25pm

I wasn't worried about it closing. I was more worried that it would suck. But obviously it's doing something right.

I know someone who's the vocal teacher of someone in the production and they are apparently making changes daily to it. 

mailhandler777
#22Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 3/25/18
Posted: 3/26/18 at 11:47pm

ACL2006 said: "You have to wonder what kind of impact the Nor'easter had on shows on Wednesday. I think those grosses for Margaritaville is what we'll see from them. I'd guess and say it's likely around their weekly nut."

I was at Wicked on Wed afternoon and there were a lot of open seats despite it being almost sold out when I bought my ticket a few days before.

Hi, I'm Val. Formerly DefyGravity777(I believe)

VintageSnarker
#23Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 3/25/18
Posted: 3/27/18 at 12:12am

bdn223 said: "Bwayfan292 said: "Dang. Bronx tale took a rather large hit in attendance this week. "

It’s not as if anyone on here understands how A Bronx Tale opened to luke warm reviews at best, no major award mominarions and went on tobecame a sleeperthat will soon be approaching 18 months on Broadway. Itsbecome theBridge and Tunnel “date night” musical that replaced Jersey Boys for its testosterone appeal. I am sure that itsbeen hurt by Jersey Boys reopening off Broadway, Margaritaville, both of which are trying to appeal to the same audience. I think the real question is how close A Bronx Tale is to recouping, as it seems to be struggling in the transition of new musical/playto long running hit, unlike its fellow 2016-2017 sleepers Anastasia and Play thatGoes Wrong.
"

Having just seen Anastasia, I'm wondering how long it can possibly last if there's strong competition going after the same demographic. To me, A Bronx Tale was consistent. I think it was underdeveloped in the sense that there wasn't a lot of depth but it delivered on what it set out to do. I can see how it could hang around if that's the kind of musical you want to see. While Anastasia is a lot messier. It holds together but a lot of that was due to the charm of the actors and my affection for the original movie and songs which still work. But even if they possibly had to change a lot of the story for legal reasons, they should have been able to come up with something better. The book and structure of the show is distinctly... messy. It feels like it needs a couple more rounds of editing and even though I really enjoyed seeing it, I don't know how it will fare after it exhausts its core audience.

Feldzieg
#24Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 3/25/18
Posted: 3/27/18 at 5:40am

Which schmuck paid $247 to see Rocktopia?

TFMH18 Profile Photo
TFMH18
#25Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 3/25/18
Posted: 3/29/18 at 12:39pm

Only just now getting a chance to look at this week's numbers. I'm surprised The Band's Visit has dipped so steeply from its very strong showing in the couple months after opening. Oh well, I assume Tony nominations (and the very likely best musical win) will change that. 

Videos