News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for Rabekriegerin

Rabekriegerin Profile Photo
Member Name: Rabekriegerin
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

What is your career/major
 Jul 9 2014, 11:51:24 PM
I have a B.A. in Biochemistry. A minor in philosophy, with honors in classical philosophy and the social sciences. Hey - the way I see it? Do it all.

I work in an environmental lab, as an analyst in the GC/MS department. Theater is just a hobby. But SUCH a hobby - and a love - and really, when you live a hop, skip, and a jump from NYC, there is no good excuse not to go.

Rocky: Seating
 Mar 23 2014, 10:36:26 PM
Seconding that you'll be just fine in the Mezz. I took my family to see the show, and my father and brother come in at 6'1" and 6'3" respectively. It's always a bit of a juggling act for me to get seats they'll be comfortable in, but they had plenty of space. Front row of the Mezz had even *more*. You'll be fine!
matinee stage door?
 Mar 23 2014, 10:33:08 PM
As others have said: your chances are less, but in the end, it really depends on the day (and the show).

As anecdotal evidence, I went to the stage door of Rocky on a Wednesday matinee. I hadn't been planning it (I was with the family, and we had a dinner engagement), but circumstances just worked out. To my surprise, all of the principles showed. Actually, probably the most pleasant stage-door experience I've ever had.

So - you never know. :) I wish you luck!

Rocky Previews
 Feb 17 2014, 04:47:05 PM
I have not yet seen the Broadway production, but I did see the show in Hamburg and sat in the Golden Circle area.

Immediately following the song "Keep On Standing" ("Standzuhalten" - and I thought that an interesting translation, I was expecting it to be "Go the distance"), the ushers get the Golden Circle ticketholders to stand and file up the stairs onto the wings of the stage. The ring itself moves out over the seats that were just occupied while the Golden Circle people stand in the wings. Then tiered seating slides forward from upstage. When it is locked in place, ushers guide Golden Circle folks to their seats. There is no assigned seating on stage - first come first serve, fill it all in as quickly as possible.

I sat in the front row on the right of the tiered seating. Folks ran and off stage right in front of me, but I found that pretty exciting. I had no trouble seeing due to people standing or due to the ropes, and had a good view of the final fight. Being seated on stage did prevent me from seeing any graphics on the screens flanking/above the stage, and I felt like the choreography of the spectacle was "meant" to be seen by the majority of the audience, ie, best seen out from the main theater space, not from the stage. Granted, being up on stage and so close to the performers had its own unique benefits.

Since I have already seen the show from the Golden Circle, however, I opted to purchase my tickets this time round (March 19th) from center mezz, just to better see that spectacle. Much of the show is quieter and probably better seen up close. Plus I was there to see Drew so...

As to the song list. A cursory glance, and I think all the songs are kept in the Broadway version. I heard some rumor that "Undefeated Man" (Unbesiegter Mann) was going to get replaced, but apparently it's still in.

And for those ragging on the lyrics...
"No one on the streets tonight,
Lonely kind of feeling -
I should count my blessings, right?
Got four walls and a ceiling."

are emblematic for me of the kind of lyric that Rocky presents. Deceptively simple, but surprisingly 'true'. They appealed to me, and are in the spirit of the Rocky films without being ridiculous.

I look forward to seeing what the Broadway incarnation is like.

Edited to add:
For those concerned about disabled folks in the Golden Circle area: in Hamburg, the ushers came by 3 or 4x prior to the show to make sure ticketholders knew what was expected and had instructions on what to do, and when, when the time came. I think concerns would be addressed there.

Les Mis 2014 Casting?
 Oct 10 2013, 11:07:31 PM
no Varela? Saaad panda. I'm glad I took the chance(s) to see him when I did; he was truly inspiring and breathed incredible life into my favorite character.
What is so bad about bootlegs?
 Sep 15 2013, 09:00:10 PM
I can't answer for the OP, but it has certainly translated into ticket sales for me.

I don't live far from NYC. Day trip distance. My grandparents have a subscription of some kind to the Goodspeed, as well, and from time to time they would treat me to a show, which I always loved, as a cultural outing and a chance to spend time with them. However, the only Broadway show I'd seen was Phantom - of which I was, and remain, very fond.

Skip forward to '04 and my college days. I'

Rocky, the musical in Hamburg
 Sep 9 2013, 04:16:00 PM
I believe the simple lyrics were intentional. Rocky isn't exactly known for his eloquence... if I remember the interview(s) right with the creative team (it's been a while since I watched them), they wanted him to sing like he speaks, which is in plain, unassuming language. Frankly I was expecting it to be bad. They're not clever (though they can be evocative at times)... but surprisingly they work. As I said above... the trick and triumph of Rocky is making that happen.
 Sep 6 2013, 08:33:37 PM
In Hamburg, EotT was sung by the ensemble, with a few solo lines by Apollo.
 Sep 6 2013, 08:02:51 PM
No, all the Rocky theme songs are not present in the work. Yes, Eye of the Tiger makes an appearance, as the Act II opener / training sequence song. I cannot for the life of me remember if strains of Gonna Fly Now are heard during the stairs sequence... someone else who's seen it more recently will have to provide an answer to that!

As for choreography: there is a surprising amount of it. The new character Gloria allows for a bit, when drawing contrasts to shy Adrian; also, remember

Sep 6 2013, 04:43:27 PM
Oh, it will be fun. I'm glad I can offer some reassurance! I was a bit leery myself of how the musical would pan out, but I was very pleasantly surprised.

In Hamburg I sat in Row C of the Golden Circle. If you like your musicals up close and personal (I'm a fan of that), you certainly won't regret that experience! The show is very much a character piece throughout, for all of the Big Spectacle aspects during the final sequence. You won't have any trouble seeing the action from the GC.

Then there is the final sequence itself. A word of advice: don't bring any bulky bags or coats when you when you go; you'll end up just having to check them. To move the audience efficiently out of the GC area, up onto the wings, and then to take your seats on stage, the ushers ask that only small items are kept to hand - which prevents scrambling and delays. The move is done very quickly and efficiently. And I have to tell you, the excitement when your section gets to rise and crowd up into the wings, waiting for the ring to finish moving out and the seating to glide forward - well. It's quite something. I'd certainly be getting GC tickets if I hadn't already seen the piece from that angle and want to watch the final scene(s) from a different perspective.

The stage seating is general admission. If you can manage it, I advise being one of the last people up the stairs onto the stage proper, because they have you stand to each side for a few seconds as the tiered seating slides into place. The last ones up the stairs are therefore at the 'front' of the GC crowd when they release you to claim your new seats. I recommend the center, several rows up, for the best view! Though, there isn't a bad seat. Lucky folks in the first row may get some interaction with the actors running on and off the wings. (I was lucky!)

You will end up staying on your new stage seating through curtain call.

I hope this is helpful to anyone who chooses to buy Golden Circle tickets...

Sep 5 2013, 05:36:30 PM
Unfortunately, I attended the show on a day when Archie's understudy was playing the role, so I didn't have a chance to see him in action.

This could get a bit spoiler-y, though I'm trying to be circumspect. If you don't want to know anything about it - do not read on.

The book features some not insubstantial changes from the movie; the largest of which is the addition of a new character, Gloria, who adds a level of relationship between Adrian and Pauli. As well as several sp

Sep 5 2013, 06:51:49 AM
Yes.
Standing ovations during a show
 Aug 31 2013, 10:59:35 AM
2011; Jesus Christ Superstar in Vienna. There was a standing ovation in the middle of the piece after Drew Sarich's Gethsemane.
Andy Karl Will Be Broadway's ROCKY
 Jul 24 2013, 05:00:23 PM
I think most of us have sort of been expecting Andy Karl (and he certainly has the look and talent). Granted, I won't lament if Drew comes over, either. He did stellar job when I saw him in Hamburg - awkward, gentle, dangerous, funny. Either way, I'm looking forward to taking the fam to see this next year. Though this time I'm getting mezz seats...
Favorite Villain Songs?
 Jul 8 2013, 06:32:58 PM
The 2nd Act Reprise of "Rebecca" from the show of the same name.
Dracula's "The Longer I Live"... not as a story element, but for the sheer sound of it. It's beautiful.
On a wholly different note, I cannot *not* join in on "The Soviet Machine" from Chess.

Musicals with a Narrator Character
 Jul 8 2013, 06:26:34 PM
Elisabeth. Nothing like a story told by the title character's assassin, facing final judgment.
Musicals Similar to Jekyll and Hyde?
 May 14 2013, 04:37:11 PM
You could try other Wildhorn musicals. The Mist from Dracula; It's Only Love from Rudolf / The Scarlet Pimpernel, etc.
Can DREW SARICH please come back to Broadway with ROCKY
 May 4 2013, 09:41:04 AM
I was at the Chess concert. I thought at the time it was simply an off night (happens to all) - since it didn't sound like there was any trouble at the rehearsal. I knew Rocky was rough, but I had thought that was the full-contact boxing match stuff more than vocal strain. And honestly, I haven't heard many recordings of Drew since last summer, so I have no benchmarks to go by.

Tsao: Thanks for that wealth of information! I have heard that it is much easier to sing in German than to

Now that J&H is closing can we all stop...
 May 3 2013, 04:50:42 PM
I like Wildhorn's music. No personal investment in it, I just find it stirring. Well - it can be; it's hardly that I like the music in every show he's ever done. But I've found moments of brilliance to appreciate.
Can DREW SARICH please come back to Broadway with ROCKY
 May 3 2013, 04:48:34 PM
Hey, DancingShadows, is Drew's vocal trouble a recent thing? (ie, this fall/winter?) I know he lost his voice for a bit there, but I don't remember hearing any rumors about it from his time as Krolock in 2011.

Also, what exactly is up with the German vs English casting? I know it's not the first time Drew has taken a production originally written in English and performed the German premiere - Hunchback comes to mind. It makes sense, though, to cast an actor who can already

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You