News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for Wilmingtom

Member Name: Wilmingtom
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

HELP - Showtunes about Weddings/Marriage  Sep 11 2020, 10:48:44 PM

A Man and a Woman from 110 In the Shade

HELP - Showtunes about Weddings/Marriage  Sep 11 2020, 10:48:20 PM

A Man and a Woman from 110 In the Shade

What Are The Greatest Casts You’ve Ever Seen?  Jul 16 2020, 03:52:18 PM

A Chorus Line - OBC

What Are Great Musical Roles That Don’t Sing Much  Jul 16 2020, 03:43:01 PM

Higgins didn't sing much when Harrison played him. I've heard others sing the hell out of it.

Questions about the 1999 revival  Jul 16 2020, 03:37:50 PM

I'm in the camp who thinks the invaluable BP was miscast. At the beginning of the show her accent was so thick you'd be forgiven for thinking she was mentally challenged. Annie is from Ohio, not Appalachia. She delivered her ballads as if it was her club act (I'll lay some blame for that at the feet of John McDaniels, whom I adore). Wopat was terrific but the rewrite didn't grab me (with all due respect to the legendary Peter Stone). "There's No Business Like Show Bus

Your First Broadway Show  Jun 18 2020, 01:30:26 AM

Promises, Promises in 1969 with the wonderful original cast. As a kid from the Midwest, I had never seen automated scenery that moved on its own and I was enthralled.  I was already a Bacharach fan but Tunick's orchestrations and Wheeler's dance arrangements lifted the songs through the roof. It was the perfect introduction to Broadway for a guy with my showbiz sensibility, all I imagined Broadway would be.

What shows will we never see again on broadway  Jun 18 2020, 01:12:25 AM

Not so fast about Jumbo  :)

Unpopular theatre opinions  Jun 18 2020, 01:10:14 AM

When RENT landed on the cover of Time (or was it Newsweek?) as the future of the musical theater, I thought, "The future?"  I've seen this a dozen times before, from the Kumbaya-let's-all-hold-hands of Hair and Godspell and, less successfully, Salvation and Dude. Mostly what RENT did is make me look forward to what Larson would write next. But, alas...

Am I Racist for Liking King and I  Jun 18 2020, 12:51:36 AM

K&I is not a story about race.  It's a story of two strong-willed people squaring off with each other, the woman a progressive and the man threatened by change. I'd hate to think that schools and community theaters can't do this wonderful, uplifting musical if they don't have an Asian community. Just cast the show with who you have and the audience will go with you, no yellowface needed.

Casting What Could Have Beens  Aug 2 2019, 09:27:52 AM

Roger Bart was replaced by Chris Kattan during previews of The Frogs.

Large Group Musical for Competition!  Aug 2 2019, 09:17:48 AM

All the Livelong Day (opening number from "Working"

It's a Typical Day (opening Number from "Li'l Abner" in which the characters are introduced)

Marie's Crisis underage  Jan 25 2019, 02:36:53 AM

If they're carding, just be honest.  "We'r'e seventeen but we're not here to drink.  We just want the piano bar experience." Of course it's against the law to admit you so if they won't, no hard feelings.

Tkt for Bette in Dolly! 8/7  Jul 27 2018, 05:04:15 PM

3rd row center mezz, at face value $250.  Tue. 8/7 @ 7pm.  Please let me know if you're interested, and thanks.

Patti LuPone The Rink  Jun 27 2018, 03:04:49 PM

Testa was fantastic when she went on for Liza and she'd be great as the mother today.  Anyone at Arena Stage listening?

What Broadway Show From The Golden Age of Musicals (1943-1965) would you most like to see revived?  Jun 27 2018, 02:35:45 PM

Minnie's Boys with Tyne Daly.

Anyone know the REAL reason Hello Dolly refused to perform at the TONYS?  May 26 2018, 11:08:37 PM

There's little motivation for producers to spend $200K+ to appear on a TV special when your show has virtually gone clean.  And not getting a big production number just made people want to see it all the more.

MY FAIR LADY (2018) Previews  Apr 17 2018, 05:40:46 PM

Could someone comment on Gattelli's choreography, please?

Falsettos PBS Broadcast  Oct 30 2017, 05:50:28 PM

I liked the set, which got us from here to there without fussy scene changes to kill the momentum while keeping the focus firmly on the performances.  I always knew exactly where they were at any given moment.  I wasn't enamored of Rosenthal's performance but the others were all wonderful, especially Borle.

Which musicals do you think have the best finales or which finales are your favorite?  Oct 28 2017, 01:47:56 AM

Finale: Exodus from Fiddler, proving that a finale doesn't need to be noisy.  Rose's Turn and the brief denouement that follows is a great finale.   

Cate Blanchett as Margo Channing in ALL ABOUT EVE  Oct 23 2017, 07:06:03 AM

The Mankiewicz.screenplay is structured like a play, befitting its theatrical setting, and I think is a natural for a stage adaptation.  It doesn't require a great deal of embellishment or structural rehab to make it stageworthy.  Writing its adaptation is really an editing job, the character development and plot being fine as is.  Blanchett seems a good choice to me, so believable in any period, but it's Eve's story.  That's the casting

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You