pixeltracker

What Broadway Show From The Golden Age of Musicals (1943-1965) would you most like to see revived?

What Broadway Show From The Golden Age of Musicals (1943-1965) would you most like to see revived?

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#2What Broadway Show From The Golden Age of Musicals (1943-1965) would you most like to see revived?
Posted: 6/25/18 at 5:12pm

ME AND JULIET, because I’ve just always wanted to see a live production of it.

Jarethan
#3What Broadway Show From The Golden Age of Musicals (1943-1965) would you most like to see revived?
Posted: 6/25/18 at 5:51pm

-- The Pajama Game...while it has at least been revived in the last decade or so, the last revival just ran too short and was impossible to get tickets for pretty quickly.

-- Bells Are Ringing...take out a few songs, e.g., The Midas Touch, the Beatnik number, and tweak the book...cast the right person in the lead.

-- Half a Sixpence...actually 1966, but I loved this show so much.  From what I have seen on Youtube, the recent British revival eliminated some of the best material and added some crap, so I would not want to see that version, although Charlie Stemp seems like a pretty good lead.

-- Hallelujah, Baby...also 1966.  The book would need some work, but the material is there, as it has a terrific score.  One of the great showstopper numbers EVER in 'She Sure Didn't Get it From Me'.

-- Can Can...I think it has a terrific score.  40 Years ago, I saw a Summer Stock production with Leslie Caron that was really terrible, and I loved the whole thing.  Those songs.

-- Fiorello...because I have never seen it and I assume the Pulitzer means something.

-- A Funny Thing...because its time.

-- Anyone Can Whistle...do a scaled down version and have the Roundabout produce it with a couple of starts...it'll be a hit.

After Eight
#4What Broadway Show From The Golden Age of Musicals (1943-1965) would you most like to see revived?
Posted: 6/25/18 at 6:01pm

None.

Not a one.

If they aren't revived, they can't be ruined by some hotshot director or writer.

Solipsist234
#5What Broadway Show From The Golden Age of Musicals (1943-1965) would you most like to see revived?
Posted: 6/25/18 at 6:06pm

This may be cutting it close in terms of time period, but I have always been intrigued by Show Boat; that would be my first choice for a Lincoln Center revival!

GeorgeandDot Profile Photo
GeorgeandDot
#6What Broadway Show From The Golden Age of Musicals (1943-1965) would you most like to see revived?
Posted: 6/25/18 at 8:22pm

A Funny Thing Happened starring Titus Burgess

Anyone Can Whistle. I would love to see a sort of Brechtian approach to the show. I think a scaled back revival directed by John Doyle would be great. I can totally see him doing something really crazy with it. I'd love to see Patti Lupone play Cora again.

Fiorello!

The Most Happy Fella

Street Scene

little_sally Profile Photo
little_sally
#7What Broadway Show From The Golden Age of Musicals (1943-1965) would you most like to see revived?
Posted: 6/25/18 at 8:27pm

Guys and Dolls

A little swash, a bit of buckle - you'll love it more than bread.

EdEval
#8What Broadway Show From The Golden Age of Musicals (1943-1965) would you most like to see revived?
Posted: 6/25/18 at 8:47pm

MILK AND HONEY  with Mandy Patinkin, Rebecca Luker, and Fran Dresher.

THE UNSINKABLE MOLLY BROWN with Kristin Chenoweth as Molly.

msmp Profile Photo
msmp
#9What Broadway Show From The Golden Age of Musicals (1943-1965) would you most like to see revived?
Posted: 6/25/18 at 8:48pm

Call Me Madam is at the top of the list right now. I'd love Donna Murphy as Sally Adams, but I'm sure others have someone in mind as well.

broadwaysfguy
#10What Broadway Show From The Golden Age of Musicals (1943-1965) would you most like to see revived?
Posted: 6/25/18 at 8:51pm

Mame-has a better score than hello dolly
the Sound of Music-loved the london broadcast
guys & dolls-its time!

markypoo Profile Photo
markypoo
Steve C. Profile Photo
Steve C.
#12What Broadway Show From The Golden Age of Musicals (1943-1965) would you most like to see revived?
Posted: 6/25/18 at 9:06pm

L'il Abner - I love the OBC recording and the movie is quite fun in Cinemascope and Technicolor. I'd think it could def be updated in today's trumpian world

Drat The Cat - a flop from when the papers went on strike in NYC, but a great score, the song "He Touched Me" and more...Lesley Ann Warren's 1st major award winning role

Pajama Game - while in Baltimore in college I saw a production at Center Stage that could rival any Broadway production. Unbelievable choreography!

I Can Has Cheezburger With This?

GeorgeandDot Profile Photo
GeorgeandDot
#13What Broadway Show From The Golden Age of Musicals (1943-1965) would you most like to see revived?
Posted: 6/25/18 at 10:31pm

I don't know how I could forget Mame. I'd love to see the Hello, Dolly! team do it with either Jane Krakowski, Toni Collette, Tilda Swinton, or Cate Blanchett in the lead role.

I'd also love a Lincoln Center production of Oliver! I feel like Bart Sher could get into the darkness of the show. I think Nancy is a part Lauren Ambrose would be very good for.

Also, what year was Funny Girl? We definitely need a Funny Girl revival with Jessie Mueller. She would sing and act that role ridiculously well.

Wick3 Profile Photo
Wick3
#14What Broadway Show From The Golden Age of Musicals (1943-1965) would you most like to see revived?
Posted: 6/26/18 at 9:10am

Brigadoon!

I saw it at city center last November and was just amazed! WOW! 

broadwaybabywannabe2 Profile Photo
broadwaybabywannabe2
#15What Broadway Show From The Golden Age of Musicals (1943-1965) would you most like to see revived?
Posted: 6/26/18 at 10:05am

MAME...Catherine Zeta-Jones

ANYONE CAN WHISTLE...Patti LuPone, as mentioned here as Cora Hopper

BroadwayNYC2 Profile Photo
BroadwayNYC2
#16What Broadway Show From The Golden Age of Musicals (1943-1965) would you most like to see revived?
Posted: 6/26/18 at 10:17am

No Strings. I could see Roundabout tackling this one day

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
green waver
#18What Broadway Show From The Golden Age of Musicals (1943-1965) would you most like to see revived?
Posted: 6/26/18 at 12:35pm

How about a revival of Man Of La Mancha with Nathan Gunn and Idina? Hey Mr. Rudin, are you listening?

henrikegerman Profile Photo
henrikegerman
#19What Broadway Show From The Golden Age of Musicals (1943-1965) would you most like to see revived?
Posted: 6/26/18 at 1:30pm

I want Love Life with Sutton Foster and Patrick Wilson for LCT and Sher

To be followed up by productions of all of Weill's other American shows:

One Touch of Venus with Katrina Lenk
Lady in the Dark with Billie Piper 
Lost in the Stars with Joshua Henry
Street Scene with Victoria Clark

Updated On: 6/26/18 at 01:30 PM

thirtythirtyninety Profile Photo
thirtythirtyninety
#21What Broadway Show From The Golden Age of Musicals (1943-1965) would you most like to see revived?
Posted: 6/26/18 at 1:51pm

ALLEGRO

The Boyfriend

Matthew Rhys in CAMELOT

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#22What Broadway Show From The Golden Age of Musicals (1943-1965) would you most like to see revived?
Posted: 6/26/18 at 2:00pm

The end of teh Golden Age is something of a moving target, depending on who you ask.  A lot of Sondheim fans like to use the flopping of Follies as indicative of the end of the Golden Age, so I'll go with that.

Fiorello!
The Most Happy Fella
Oliver!
Brigadoon
Paint Your Wagon
Damn Yankees!
Pipe Dream
Goldilocks
Redhead
Irma La Douce
Take Me Along
Wildcat
Do Re Mi
I Had a Ball
Flora, the Red Menace
Man of La Mancha
Zorba
The Rothschilds
Two Gentlemen of Verona (shame the Delacorte production didn't transfer)

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

henrikegerman
#23What Broadway Show From The Golden Age of Musicals (1943-1965) would you most like to see revived?
Posted: 6/26/18 at 3:35pm

Musical Theatre Frenzy said: "henrikegerman said:

To be followed up by productions of all of Weill's other American shows:

One Touch of Venus with Katrina Lenk
Lady in the Dark with Billie Piper
Lost in the Stars with Joshua Henry
Street Scene with Victoria Clark

What about Love Life, Weill's undertated show with Alan Jay Lerner?wink"

You clearly missed the first part of my post which read:

I want Love Life with Sutton Foster and Patrick Wilson for LCT and Sher

(and which is why the quoted part of your post begins with "to be followed by"What Broadway Show From The Golden Age of Musicals (1943-1965) would you most like to see revived?

Jeffrey Karasarides Profile Photo
Jeffrey Karasarides
#25What Broadway Show From The Golden Age of Musicals (1943-1965) would you most like to see revived?
Posted: 6/26/18 at 3:51pm

GeorgeandDot said: "I don't know how I could forget Mame. I'd love to see the Hello, Dolly! team do it with either Jane Krakowski, Toni Collette, Tilda Swinton, or Cate Blanchett in the lead role."

Does Cate Blanchett even sing?

I'd also love a Lincoln Center production of Oliver!. I feel like Bart Sher could get into the darkness of the show.

I've been thinking the same thing! I also think Danny Burstein would make an interesting choice for Fagin.

Jeffrey Karasarides
#26What Broadway Show From The Golden Age of Musicals (1943-1965) would you most like to see revived?
Posted: 6/26/18 at 3:52pm

thirtythirtyninety said: "Matthew Rhys in CAMELOT"

The same question I previously had with Cate Blanchett, does Matthew Rhys even sing?

henrikegerman
#27What Broadway Show From The Golden Age of Musicals (1943-1965) would you most like to see revived?
Posted: 6/26/18 at 3:52pm

^no worries, Musical Theatre Frenzy.
Bartlett Sher is a director, here mentioned for his musical revivals at Lincoln Center, South Pacific, The King and I and the currently running My Fair Lady

Jeffrey Karasarides
#28What Broadway Show From The Golden Age of Musicals (1943-1965) would you most like to see revived?
Posted: 6/26/18 at 3:58pm

Solipsist234 said: "This may be cutting it close in terms of time period, but I have always been intrigued by Show Boat; that would be my first choice for a Lincoln Center revival!"

When André Bishop & Bartlett Sher were on Theater Talk's recent episode covering My Fair Lady, Bishop did mention that he thought about Show Boat, but finds the book to be more than problematic.

Updated On: 6/26/18 at 03:58 PM