News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for DBAK

Member Name: DBAK
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Next to Normal Broadway Revival?
 Apr 22 2024, 04:46:02 PM

Apart from some regional/community productions, I had only gotten to see the 1NT live with Alice Ripley way back in 2010 prior to embarking on my first ever trip out of the country to see the Donmar production last year. I am so grateful it's back this summer and have tix to see it 4 times in August. I'm curious to see how it translates to a bigger theater, but I hope they don't change up the staging much. I wish I had gotten to see Marin in person to have seen all of what I feel

Donmar’s Next To Normal to Transfer to the West End in 2024
 Nov 30 2023, 06:15:58 PM

My fiance forwarded me the email that we qualified to book early since we had attended the production at the Donmar. I automatically booked tickets to the matinee and evening shows on August 24th!!! This will be my first solo trip out of the country. It didn't feel impulsive at all haha. Praying that Caissie returns and if the show *does* transfer to Broadway, I'm going to plan a trip to see it there too!

The Griswalds' Broadway Vacation -- What's next?
 Oct 26 2023, 06:08:27 PM

I've lived in Seattle for several years now. I had missed a few premieres at the 5th Avenue/Rep prior to the pandemic so one of my major pledges was to catch as many new musical premieres as I could once we got shows up and running again. I love the 5th Avenue so much (our recent productions of Into the Woods and Sweeney Todd were remarkably good btw!) In 2022, the 5th hosted two premieres: Afterwords and Griswolds Broadway

Next to normal Donmar Warehouse
 Oct 9 2023, 02:01:16 PM

JasonC3 said: "Theatreboard posters are saying a theatre has been secured for a 16-week West End run with Cassie in 2024. Take it with a grain of salt until official announcement."

I really hope this is true. I was planning to do a solo NYC/Broadway trip next spring/summer, but I will go back to London again in a heartbeat to see Caissie/this production again. Desperately hope they can keep the entire cast. I think they had such good chemistry and wonderful interpret

Who could replace Josh Groban?
 Sep 30 2023, 11:36:19 AM

JasonC3 said: "After seeing Lea Salonga's as Lovett this week in London, I'd love to see her cast alongside any Sweeney who could keep the show running post-Groban."

She would be amazing! 

Sep 30 2023, 11:35:39 AM

I saw the show on 9/11. We had seen Frozen the night before and Samantha Barks (who is on maternity leave) was at next to normal supporting Caissie! Thought that was very sweet.

I was a huge fan of the show from the minute the cast recording dropped and got to see the US Tour with Alice Ripley in 2010. (Major shoutout to Emma Hunton who I felt was the definitive Natalie for over a decade). I will share that I was diagnosed with bipolar 1 in 2016, so my relationship to the show has chan

Who could replace Josh Groban?
 Sep 30 2023, 11:22:09 AM

I don't think I'll make it in NYC in time to see a replacement cast if there is one, but I think they should promote Nicholas Christopher to Sweeney full time and offer Ruthie Ann Miles the role of Lovett. I think Ruthie would do wonders. Hoping the 2025 tour cast is exciting because I'll def try to catch that. 

London Recommendations
 Aug 17 2023, 12:24:34 PM

ggersten said: "Show schedules here:http://www.theatremonkey.com/showtime-schedules

wed matinees are plentiful. Waiting for Cabaret is probably not a good option. You can likely get good deal on Crazy For You at box office that day.
"

Thank you so much! I was hoping there was something like this floating around. I really am leaning towards Cabaret, but I wish I could sit at one of the tables for the full experience. No one to go with though. I'm 99% sure I'll just go with Cabaret. It's a favorite and I've not gotten to see it since 2014-ish. Now, onto plotting as to whether I can sneak in a show the Sunday after we fly in... 

London Recommendations
 Aug 15 2023, 08:56:30 PM

I will be in London next month. I am seeing next to normal, Rebecca, and Wicked (had to see it for my thirteen year old self, and also in the hopes of seeing Alexia). Here's my dilemma. I have time to squeeze in a Wednesday matinee. I just know of Cabaret and Wicked as options. Are there other shows that do a Wednesday matinee? I'm also wondering if I can just wait to decide what show I see for the Wednesday matinee until I'm actually in London. It would be fun to decide somewhat

SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting
 Feb 24 2023, 02:42:58 PM

I don't post on here too often, but I feel like I'm alone in thinking both Ashford and Groban are terribly miscast in this? They're both too young and pretty for my taste. I've never liked Josh Groban whatsoever. I think he's a pandering hack. And call me old-fashioned but shouldn't the role of Mrs. Lovett be reserved for an actual 50-60-something? Ashford sticks out like a sore thumb compared to pretty much every actress to have played the role professionally on Broad

Jan 4 2023, 03:41:58 PM

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I have tickets to next to normal at the Donmar for September 11th or 12th. (I forget which date). We also have tickets for the English-language premiere of Rebecca, and will be planning on two more shows. Always thought I'd get to do a Broadway trip before making it out to the West End, but I am very pleased with this turn of events! I'm desperate for casting news, but can't think of anyone in particular. I s

Choosing My First Broadway Shows
 Jul 18 2021, 02:55:10 PM

After waiting virtually my whole life, I am going to be able to visit the city with my partner in March. We're seeing 2 shows together, and I'm planning to see 2 more by myself. The two shows we've agreed on are Wicked and Company. I've seen regional/touring companies several times, but I've wanted to see Wicked on Broadway for 20 years. Sondheim is my absolute favorite composer, so seeing Company is a no brainer.

Trying to choose another two shows, I'm com

The Bad Seed- Revival?
 Sep 12 2018, 05:35:24 AM

Given that the remake of The Bad Seed that aired on Lifetime this past weekend was an abysmal disappointment and pales in comparison to the 1956 film adaptation, I've been scouring the internet to see if I could find any more information about the original 1954-5 run of the play on Broadway. (I'd love to see production photographs, but I haven't come across any). I am pretty curious as to why there was never a Broadway Revival of the play... I know a lot of people dismiss the original film and play as "melodrama," and while I agree that the film does at times fringe on the melodramatic, it is nonetheless anchored by masterclass performances from Nancy Kelly and Eileen Heckart, who flesh out the material with such pathos that I am always struck by how visceral/affective they are, even though I've seen the film dozens of times in the past 25+ years. I'm sure many will disagree with me, but I do feel that a production of The Bad Seed could work today, which brings me to my query. 

I found the following website, which I'm linking to below, that teases a Bad Seed revival aimed at Broadway in 2013. Has anyone heard anything about this? Were there legitimate talks of a revival around then? I debated whether or not to post this, but I'm hoping someone here might be able to point me in the right direction. I couldn't find anything else about it!

http://thebadseedbroadway.com/

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You