News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for oughtaknow

Member Name: oughtaknow
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Anthony Rapp's WITHOUT YOU at New World Stages
 Mar 6 2023, 08:12:29 AM

Won the lottery for this over the weekend - got row G, which is the last row of the orchestra with traditional theatre seating (there are two rows behind with free-standing chairs which were largely empty). It is a very small theatre, no bad seats. I didn't have high expectations, but I grew up on RENT and have a huge soft spot for it, so figured why not given the price. 

There is some cool stuff here, but it's very brief and I didn't find it was worth si

JAGGED LITTLE PILL reopening night thread
 Oct 31 2021, 06:39:10 AM

rpvee2 said: "oughtaknow said: "They rearranged “Forgiven” a bit for her and she just … wow.”

Did they? I didn’t catch that. What’s been changed in the arrangement?
"

My technical music knowledge is a little shaky, so not completely sure this is it, but - I think she's belting through the parts in the snow and they moved her part down a little bit. 

JAGGED LITTLE PILL reopening night thread
 Oct 30 2021, 07:12:55 PM

Saw it today - Heidi is just … incredible. I thought she was roughly equivalent to Stanley (who I thought was fantastic!) until “Wake Up” and then she just started knocking it out of the park. They rearranged “Forgiven” a bit for her and she just … wow. It’s on the same level as “You Oughta Know” for me now. 

They added more dialogue about race - it seemed well done to me, but I am literally a white person from

CAROLINE, OR CHANGE Previews
 Oct 7 2021, 02:26:47 PM
I’ve never used Hiptix before and am struggling - my registration e-Mail didn’t have a promo code (as the website said it would). I tried the presale one that was posted on this board a few months ago and no seats came up. Do they send out new codes or have I just missed out?
JAGGED LITTLE PILL announces reopening dates
 Sep 28 2021, 11:22:45 AM

BroadwayGirl107 said: "suicidalmickeymouse said: "100% it should be John Cardoza. We saw him go on in Jan 2020 and we truly think he will have a career like Aaron Tveit or Jeremy Jordan with a voice like that. Here’s a snippet of his “I’m Alive” https://youtu.be/k6Lc5NNuAwo"

I also saw him last year. Thought he was better than Cipriano.
"

Same - I saw Cardozo first and was very surprised when I came back to Cipriano. 

I find it … interesting that Cipriano and Gooding are leaving now, ostensibly for moral reasons but when they both have new projects lined up. They both share scenes with Patten (most (all but one?) of Patten’s scenes are with Gooding) so were presumably aware of the gender-identity controversy from day one. It seems like they both made the same calculus as Patten - keep their mouths shut and ride the once in a life time opportunity that a Broadway show is until something better came along. 

You can argue that Patten, as the one playing the role, is more at fault, but the virtual signaling is a bit frustrating. 

I can’t imagine Patten stays that much longer - not doing “You Oughta Know,” pretty universally agreed to be the best number of the show, at the Tonys is a choice. Without that bump, I can’t see what she’s getting from this anymore. 

JAGGED LITTLE PILL announces reopening dates
 Sep 17 2021, 04:48:21 PM
My understanding was that the character was, at the very least, questioning their gender identity at ART, and this was explicitly confirmed by Patten on social media at the time. My interpretation of the koala comment is that it’s going a little farther than a cis lesbian who presents masculinely. The character isn’t saying, “I’m a girl, I just like dressing like this.” They’re saying they wouldn’t choose to deal with gender at all if given the option. That could be non-binary, it could be not
DEAR EVAN HANSEN film sets September 2021 release
 Sep 12 2021, 02:52:40 PM

kidmanboy said: "I really REALLY don't understand why everyone all of a sudden cares about 27 year olds playing high schoolers. It happens quite regularly, and often with people I think look significantly older than Ben Platt does."

I think it matters more here because Evan is supposed to be a child who gets in way over his head and it's harder for the character to be sympathetic when he looks like a fully grown man. 

It's the sa

JLP Controversy
 Apr 16 2021, 09:03:24 PM

treblemakerz said: "oughtaknow: Yes yes yes yes. You nailed it. I've avoided commenting on this thread because talking about anything more than fluff on BWW feels like talking in circles, but I felt the exact same way. As a lesbian who was going through something very similar to (the Broadway incarnation of) Jo, it was so cathartic to watch that all just be screamed out onstage.

But then I think about how incredible that made me feel, and I think about how it would fee

JLP Controversy
 Apr 16 2021, 07:59:17 PM

For whatever record, I love the show. I can tell you all the reasons why I shouldn’t, but I grew up on Alanis, love the arrangements, and the cast knocks them out of the park. I basically treat it like a concert.

“Tried to address a social issue and ended up doing so in a surface-level and clumsy way” is a summary of the entire show, so it’s fairly believable to me that they didn’t see an issue with Patten playing the role until they we

JLP Controversy
 Apr 14 2021, 09:16:37 PM

I would think this is going nowhere were it not for Kathryn Gallagher, Celia Rose Gooding, Antonio Cipriano (along with members of the ensemble) all re-tweeting Ezra's tweet. The rest of the leads don't seem to be that active on twitter (and I couldn't find one at all for Elizabeth). I wonder if Lauren is getting pressure from them. I'm sure it's going to generally make things awkward with the cast.

JLP Controversy
 Apr 14 2021, 06:40:24 PM

I'm a cis lesbian who has seen the show a number of times entirely because of Patten so generally feeling conflicted about the whole thing. 

I saw Ezra's performance and they just . . . weren't as good. Like not even close on "You Oughta Know." I'm not saying there isn't non-binary talent out there that could handle the role, but Lauren stepping down and Ezra taking over the role would be a huge loss for the show. 

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You