pixeltracker

DEAR EVAN HANSEN Movie Musical - News & Discussion Thread

DEAR EVAN HANSEN Movie Musical - News & Discussion Thread

jacobsnchz14 Profile Photo
jacobsnchz14
#1DEAR EVAN HANSEN Movie Musical - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 1/29/21 at 4:23pm

https://variety.com/2021/film/news/dear-evan-hansen-movie-release-date-1234896009/

Musical theater aficionados, Sept. 24 is going to be a good day and here’s why: Universal is debuting the movie adaptation of “Dear Evan Hansen” in theaters.

Ben Platt stars as the title character in “Dear Evan Hansen,” a cinematic retelling of the popular Broadway musical created by Benj Pasek and Justin Paul. The show centers on Evan Hansen, an anxious and isolated high school student. After the suicide of his classmate Connor Murphy, Evan inadvertently gets caught up in a lie after Connor’s parents mistake one of Hansen’s letters for their son’s suicide note.

Stephen Chbosky, best known for “The Perks of Being a Wallflower” and “Wonder,” directed the film from a script by Steven Levenson, who wrote the book of the stage musical. The cast also includes Kaitlyn Dever, Amandla Stenberg, Amy Adams and Julianne Moore.

Updated On: 8/26/21 at 04:23 PM

castlestreet Profile Photo
castlestreet
#2DEAR EVAN HANSEN film sets September 2021 release
Posted: 1/29/21 at 4:34pm

Wow!

Every musical adaptation that spends forever in development hell...DEH just said “this is how it’s done!”

windowwaving
#3DEAR EVAN HANSEN film sets September 2021 release
Posted: 1/29/21 at 4:38pm

I was just thinking about this the other day and I thought, "Wow, we're probably not going to see this until after West Side Story and In The Heights." 

I am so happy to be wrong. But also hoping they release the other two soon. 

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#4DEAR EVAN HANSEN film sets September 2021 release
Posted: 1/29/21 at 4:46pm

Exciting!

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#5DEAR EVAN HANSEN film sets September 2021 release
Posted: 1/29/21 at 4:58pm

Today is a really good day, and THIS is why!

Oh look, a bibu!

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#6DEAR EVAN HANSEN film sets September 2021 release
Posted: 1/29/21 at 5:03pm

Let’s see if cinemas are open by then.

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#7DEAR EVAN HANSEN film sets September 2021 release
Posted: 1/29/21 at 5:40pm

Bettyboy72 said: "Let’s see if cinemas are open by then. "

Many films have been changing their rescheduled dates so studios aren’t worrying about the cinemas at this point.  I wouldn’t be surprised if IN THE HEIGHTS moves it’s rescheduled June 2021 date to sometime in Spring 2021.     

persephone88
#8DEAR EVAN HANSEN film sets September 2021 release
Posted: 1/29/21 at 7:44pm

We'll definitely see it when it comes out. Though having seen several casts, I can't imagine anyone being a better Connor than Mike Faist. Bummed he isn't reprising his role, but looking forward to seeing him in Spielberg's WSS.

BwayLB
#9DEAR EVAN HANSEN film sets September 2021 release
Posted: 1/29/21 at 11:41pm

I’m not too excited about it with the stepdad change and casting choices. And i’m scared the story’s intimacy will be lost on film.

Alex Kulak2
#10DEAR EVAN HANSEN film sets September 2021 release
Posted: 1/30/21 at 12:40am

Calling it now: "Words Fail" will be filmed in one take as a close-up on Ben Platt, Les Miz style, and that will be the centerpiece of the Oscar campaign his dad buys for him.

devonian.t Profile Photo
devonian.t
#11DEAR EVAN HANSEN film sets September 2021 release
Posted: 1/30/21 at 5:08am

As a Brit, I'm always astonished at how many times you guys get held back in school- Stockard Channing, Ben Platt... aren't some of the teachers younger than them?

sparksatmidnight
#12DEAR EVAN HANSEN film sets September 2021 release
Posted: 1/30/21 at 6:27am

castlestreet said: "Wow!

Every musical adaptation that spends forever in development hell...DEH just said “this is how it’s done!”
"

It's amazing what having a rich father who wants you to star in a movie before you get even older than you already are can do to movie development!

BwayLB
#13DEAR EVAN HANSEN film sets September 2021 release
Posted: 1/30/21 at 7:21am

^ Would be great if Ben's dad casted him as Boq in the Wicked movie next

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#14DEAR EVAN HANSEN film sets September 2021 release
Posted: 1/30/21 at 8:23am

BwayLB said: "^ Would be great if Ben's dad casted him as Boq in the Wicked movie next"

I think Ben would be more inclined to want to play a lead role like Fiyero than a small supporting role in a major movie musical.   

Owen22
#15DEAR EVAN HANSEN film sets September 2021 release
Posted: 1/30/21 at 11:06am

BwayLB said: "I’m not too excited about it with the stepdad change and casting choices. And i’m scared the story’s intimacy will be lost on film."

Well, let's hope the changes will affect the misguided dreck that is known as Dear Evan Hansen Act Two

(Note: I love almost everything about Act One.)

NOWaWarning Profile Photo
NOWaWarning
#16DEAR EVAN HANSEN film sets September 2021 release
Posted: 1/30/21 at 11:28am

I’m excited to see what changes they’ve made and how they play out. I’m also very excited/curious to hear Julianne Moore sing the songs.

BwayLB
#17DEAR EVAN HANSEN film sets September 2021 release
Posted: 1/30/21 at 11:33am

Owen22 said: "BwayLB said: "I’m not too excited about it with the stepdad change and casting choices. And i’m scared the story’s intimacy will be lost on film."

Well, let's hope the changes will affect the misguided dreck that is known as Dear Evan Hansen Act Two

(Note: I love almost everything about Act One.)
"

I doubt it. But would be nice. Plus I liked Evan best wearing blue before his desception turned into a mess. Plus in my offense, Evan hiding how broken and alone he felt from everyone can be a handful. And it was so complicated to figure what he truly wanted. Did he want friends or a family? I wouldn’t call these my parents my family just because I pined for their own daughter the whole goddamn time.

Wick3 Profile Photo
Wick3
#18DEAR EVAN HANSEN film sets September 2021 release
Posted: 1/30/21 at 1:05pm

So cool! Just realized that's also Ben Platt's birthday! 

Hopefully cinemas will be open but if not, I really hope it does well in the streaming services. 

Tag Profile Photo
Tag
#19DEAR EVAN HANSEN film sets September 2021 release
Posted: 1/30/21 at 2:02pm

I hope they move the placement of So Big/So Small.  It completely grinds the ending of the stage show to a halt.

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#20DEAR EVAN HANSEN film sets September 2021 release
Posted: 1/30/21 at 2:03pm

Tag said: "I hope they move the placement of So Big/So Small. It completely grinds the ending of the stage show to a halt."

Genuine question, where else would you place it? I think it works perfectly fine where it is. 

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#21DEAR EVAN HANSEN film sets September 2021 release
Posted: 1/30/21 at 3:52pm

Call_me_jorge said: "Tag said: "I hope they move the placement of So Big/So Small. It completely grinds the ending of the stage show to a halt."

Genuine question, where else would you place it? I think it works perfectly fine where it is.
"

What you refer to as “grinding to a halt” I view as drawing the show in for an important moment of intimacy between mother and son  For the majority of the show Evan has minimized and avoided his mother. He has perceived her incorrectly. For years  all she has done is think about her son, including sacrificing her life to provide for him. She gets to tell her side of things. 

I really wish Rachel was able to be maintained for the film. Julianne is a remarkable actress but at this point in her career all of her hallmark “acting” mannerisms pull me out of many of her scenes. They have to cast older for his mom since Platt will look like 35 year old next to an age appropriate mom of a teenager. I really wished they cast a younger actress who could sing. 

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#22DEAR EVAN HANSEN film sets September 2021 release
Posted: 1/30/21 at 4:00pm

What you refer to as “grinding to a halt” I view as drawing the show in for an important moment of intimacy between mother and son For the majority of the show Evan has minimized and avoided his mother. He has perceived her incorrectly. For years all she has done is think about her son, including sacrificing her life to provide for him.

100%

jpbran Profile Photo
jpbran
#23DEAR EVAN HANSEN film sets September 2021 release
Posted: 1/30/21 at 4:21pm

devonian.t said: "As a Brit, I'm always astonished at how many times you guys get held back in school- Stockard Channing, Ben Platt... aren't some of the teachers younger than them?"

Weren’t most of the high school “students” in the Brit film of The History Boys in their mid- to late-20s? DEAR EVAN HANSEN film sets September 2021 release And Harry Potter’s Moaning Myrtle was at least 40 IIRC. 

Tag Profile Photo
Tag
#24DEAR EVAN HANSEN film sets September 2021 release
Posted: 1/30/21 at 5:48pm

Call_me_jorge said: "Tag said: "I hope they move the placement of So Big/So Small. It completely grinds the ending of the stage show to a halt."

"

Cutting room floor? : )

devonian.t Profile Photo
devonian.t
#25DEAR EVAN HANSEN film sets September 2021 release
Posted: 1/30/21 at 5:59pm

Yeah and they were dumb, too.