News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for jkcohen626

jkcohen626 Profile Photo
Member Name: jkcohen626
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Peter Dinklage, Lupita Nypng'o, Jesse Tyler Ferguson, Sandra Oh to star in Shakespeare in the Park's TWELFTH NIGHT
 Jul 26 2024, 11:24:01 AM

Glad I'm not the only who saw this and though "this is way too early to announce a cast like that" 

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 7/7/24
 Jul 9 2024, 02:21:43 PM

EDSOSLO858 said: "Three less shows played last weekcompared to the same week last year, and still both attendance figures and cumulative gross are higher now.

Then again,Merrilywasn’t playing this time in 2023, so take this with a grain of salt.
"

Remove Merrily and you're left with 4 shows less than this time last year and still a higher overall gross and attendance.  

Welch’s GATSBY to premiere in 2024 ART
 Jul 7 2024, 10:55:07 AM

Broadway Flash said: "The other Gatsby is not stopping this one from moving in. And that Gatsby is going to run on broadway for years, it’s selling very well."

It isn't really. Being in the million dollar club is good. But, it's a lot less good when you're in a 1700-seat theatre. They're selling a ton of tickets at TKTS and that's just not sustainable for a long run. 

'CATS: The Jellicle Ball' at PAC reviews
 Jun 27 2024, 04:09:33 PM

If I remember correctly, it's not during one of his songs, it's during a competition during Bustopher Jones. That also probably makes it less memorable. 

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 6/23/24
 Jun 25 2024, 01:40:30 PM

EDSOSLO858 said: "Notebook, Tommy, and Suffs are good as gone by Labor Day at the latest."

A show that had it's best week ever, has shown a clear positive grosses trend, and just won two major Tonys is definitely in the same category as two shows that made $200 thousand less than it and have both floundered for months. Can't wait for you to be proven wrong yet again!

Jun 24 2024, 09:19:11 PM

Broadway Flash said: "American Buffalo didn’t recoup?"

American Buffalo was not at all a hit. It averaged around $500k per week and was regularly under 80% capacity. That whole 2021/22 seasons was particularly rough for plays. A lot of stuff that would do a lot better if it was on broadway right now. 

Article: OPERATION MINCEMEAT... plots its course to New York
 Jun 22 2024, 12:33:17 PM

Bette's Turban said: "Hudson is too big for this show and would be a mistake."

Hudson is the 5th smallest commercial proscenium theatre and I'd argue it feels just as intimate as the Kerr and more intimate than the Lyceum. Honestly, I'd prefer sitting in the Hudson balcony over the Golden rear mezz any day. If it can't get into the Booth or Golden, the Hudson is the best option. 

What’s next for the James Earl Jones?
 Jun 22 2024, 10:37:25 AM

I'm guessing Left on Tenth. I thought that might be the type of thing that was announced with only stars attached and then never happens. But, their website has the full cast and says that Stro is directing and Daryl Roth is producing, so I think it'll actually happen. 

https://www.leftontenthbroadway.com/ 

Julie Taymor’s niece
 Jun 18 2024, 10:35:32 AM

EDSOSLO858 said: "Isn’t Danya also directinga new play this Broadway season?"

I hadn't heard anything, but I hope so! I'll go see anything she does. 

The 77th Annual TONY Awards Performances
 Jun 17 2024, 09:55:25 AM

Some thoughts:

Morning after and the one performance I can't get out of my head was Illinoise. It was so beautiful and well performed and shot. However, IDK if that was the best number to represent the show. 

Outsiders and Suffs proved why one won awards for best production and the other won awards for best content. 

Water For Elephants had a solid performance that was undermined by terrible direction. 

Stereophonic did the most with such a

2024 Tony Awards
 Jun 16 2024, 03:35:35 PM

theatergoer3 said: "JudyDenmark said: "theatergoer3 said: "Dress Rehersal Performance "Spoilers"

Click Here To Toggle Spoiler Content
Stereophonic - "Masquerade"

Hell's Kitchen - Medley with Alicia Keys & Jay Z performing "Empire S

Jun 16 2024, 10:57:58 AM

Mickey3309 said: "FANtomFollies said: "Curious to hear about how 'Memory' is performed. Is it still a traditional 'park and bark' Broadway ballad or is there a twist to it in any way?"

Could someone who has attended address this Q? I was wondering the same thing.
"

It's pretty traditional. There's one thing I can think of that's a bit different (see the spoilers)

The 2024-2025 Broadway Season's Musical Actresses
 Jun 16 2024, 09:56:38 AM

ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "Let the "will they put the whole cast of OLD FRIENDS in Featured" games begin :)"

I feel like first we have to play the "is Old Friends a musical" game. 

Jun 16 2024, 07:40:42 AM

WOW! WOW! WOW! This is IT!!!! Absolutely the most fun I've had in a theatre in a LONG time! Absolutely brilliant in every way!!! 

This cast is OUTSTANDING and I LOVED the energy and personality they brought to their cats. The blending of ballroom and theatre performers worked so well and played to all of their strengths. Sydney James Harcourt is so hot as Rum Tum Tugger, Emma Sofia was a blast as Skimbleshanks, Antwayn Hopper is just fantastic casting for M

Nick Jonas and Adrienne Warren to star in THE LAST FIVE YEARS Broadway Revival
 Jun 16 2024, 07:11:45 AM

OhHiii said: "lol another one the oracle called correctly. It’s kinda getting scary at this point. If he was correct on venue, it’s the Lunt, but that seems massive for this show."

I think the idea is that, by going into a bigger theatre, they can do a shorter run. A 6-week run at the Lunt has as many tickets as a 15-week run at the Hayes. Everything I know about this just screams "commercial viability above all else." A tiny production wit

2024 Tony Awards
 Jun 16 2024, 12:07:22 AM

EDSOSLO858 said: "I’ll also add, this year there is a strong possibility that best musical, best score, and best book will all go to different shows — which hasn’t happened since 2005 not counting the pandemic season (Spamalot,The Light in the Piazza,…Spelling Bee)."

Really ping this is what happens! Let's go Outsiders Best Musical, Suffs Best Book, Stereophonic Best Score!!!

Any Chance Stereophonic Runs Thru March?
 Jun 15 2024, 12:58:28 PM

sr4mjc said: "Is the principle cast doing matinees? I will be up for work in August and the only show I can do is Sunday matinee."

Every actor is contracted for 8 performances a week. Even with this being such a long and demanding show, nobody in this cast is a star (yet) and SOOO much of the appeal and allure is about this cast seeming to really be a band. They aren't taking performances off besides when absolutely necessary. 

2024 Tony Awards
 Jun 15 2024, 08:47:08 AM

MezzA101 said: "Tony Awards 2024 Winners Predictions: Category-By-Category Using Math

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/lifestyle/arts/tony-awards-winners-math-2024-ben-zauzmer-1235921822/
"

This is an interesting way to attempt predictions. Certainly good to see some synchronization of predictors. But, it's definitely producing some strange results.

Maria Friedman with a 24.9% chance of winning Best Director over Jessica Stone with a 23.8% chance actually made me laugh out loud (to be clear: Stone's work is great, but she's a non-factor in the category). As did the Outsiders in fourth for Best Musical (behind Water for Elephants and with only a 14.6% chance of winning) and Stereophonic with a 16.3% chance of winning Best Score.

There are likely issues with weighting of the inputs. I'd guess the model is overvaluing awards with fundamentally different voter bases, shows that competed in them in different years, different categories, and that include both broadway and Off-Broadway. Hopefully Ben Zauzmer can compare the actual results from this year with his predictions and what each input predicted to weight better for the future! 

2024 Tony Awards
 Jun 11 2024, 11:23:07 AM

getatme said: "Maleah Joi Moon is the only actor in that show I wouldn't mind seeing win, a wholly unlikable character but a charismatic performer. I don't entirely understand the heaps of praise for Kecia Lewis, she's doing the most she can with what's on the page. But nothing about the performance/role sticks out to me."

Totally agree with this on both counts. Moon makes you at least not HATE a character that is easily hateable on the page and in th

Phantom Revival - What Happened?
 Jun 4 2024, 03:34:16 PM

RippedMan said: "I'd love for the smaller Phantom to go to Stage 42. I think that's such a great space that usually sits unused. It's almost 500 seats. They could trim some of the ensemble members, downsize a little. And just let it run forever."

You're never going to get a satisfying Phantom by just trimming down the Prince production or even the Connor production until it can be profitable with only 500 seats. It's just too big.

What I wo

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You