News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for StageDoorMatty

StageDoorMatty Profile Photo
Member Name: StageDoorMatty
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

re: Three Penny Flop
 Mar 28 2006, 05:49:19 PM
Careful Michael...if they extend and Cyndi Lauper isn't available, they might take you up on that offer.

One thing that continually impresses me about theatre is just how divided audiences can be over the same show. I notice it a lot with my friends. I loved THE RETREAT FROM MOSCOW while a dear friend, whose education and tastes are generally similar to my own, hated it.

I think this production of THREEPENNY (well, ANY production of THREEPENNY really) will continue to divide

Mar 28 2006, 02:35:29 PM
I'm certain that there will be many...it just upsets me to think that young people are going to see this show primarily because Alan Cumming and Ana Gasteyer are in it, not for the fact that it is a classic musical with some pretty nifty themes.

I have nothing against young people attending it for the sake of seeing Cumming and Gasteyer--but I do have a problem with them bashing the show just because it isn't like CABARET or WICKED.

Mar 28 2006, 02:15:38 PM
The show is incredibly boring and bad...to you, perhaps.

This show is a classic--and even if the production has bad direction, that doesn't make the show itself bad.

Just an opinion. I haven't seen this production. But unless it has been DRASTICALLY altered from previous scripts (I DO know it's a new adaptation), the show itself is in no way "bad."

re: Shows that should never be revived
 Mar 24 2006, 06:31:56 PM
How is CAMELOT dated? Does every show taking place in a different time period have to be dated?

BAREFOOT IN THE PARK is a child of the 60's...the romance and the passion in CAMELOT seems to me timeless.

re: 'You Could Drive A Person Crazy' - 1995 Company Revival..
 Mar 24 2006, 02:30:58 PM
I don't think Charlotte is much of an actress, but I agree with you that she's a terrific dancer and at least a pleasant singer. To me, a triple threat has to be terrific at all three.

Bebe Neuwirth is a perfect example to me.

Mar 24 2006, 01:15:34 PM
In the score, it's the other way around.
 Mar 24 2006, 01:12:09 PM
As far as I can tell, the characters are singing the song as scored. Kathy on top, April in the middle, Marta on the bottom.
re: Musicals with Small Casts?
 Mar 24 2006, 01:09:02 PM
The show you speak of is SWINGTIME CANTEEN.
re: Recent GYPSY revival - Controversial?
 Mar 24 2006, 01:06:14 PM
I have to question the remark that Patti LuPone had "dibs" on the role. It was my impression that Ms. LuPone was never considered for the revival and that it was created for Peters at the urging of Laurents.

Truth be told, Bernadette Peters was the first actress to play the show on Broadway that LOOKED similar to Rose.

I found her performance magnificent--and I believe the Tony belonged to her that season. She combined the necessary sexuality and the force-of-nature attitude

re: A Little Night Music Revival
 Mar 22 2006, 01:36:53 PM
Hmmmm, if Glenn Close is old enough to graduate to the third smile, than a lot of the other actresses (including the sublime Meryl Streep) you mention are also old enough to graduate to Madame Armfeldt. Glenn and Meryl are close in age.

I think Meryl would be more suited to Charlotte, honestly--and if it's not going to be Glenn as Desiree, it should be Annette Bening.

Toni Collette could also be a wonderful Charlotte.

re: Riedel: Expect Company to open on Broadway 2006-2007
 Mar 22 2006, 09:32:40 AM
I'm going to have to disagree that Joanne would be "easy" to stunt cast. Joanne requires much more than one would think in the acting department.

They COULD stunt cast the role, but if the actress doesn't have the chops as an actress, it will fail.

In all honesty, if they want a name--I think Kathie Lee Gifford, who performed "Ladies Who Lunch" in PUTTING IT TOGETHER, would be a great choice.

re: Adam Pascal in Sunset Blvd
 Mar 21 2006, 05:05:46 PM
I'd have to say that Adam Pascal is probably not a big enough Hollywood name to play a "star" role like Joe Gillis.

Ewan McGregor seems an odd choice, but he's a much bigger name than Pascal.

In the end, though--Pascal would simply be miscast as Joe Gillis. I don't think he'd be able to act it.

re: Adam Pascal in Sunset Blvd
 Mar 21 2006, 05:01:14 PM
I'd have to say that Adam Pascal is probably not a big enough Hollywood name to play a "star" role like Joe Gillis.

Ewan McGregor seems an odd choice, but he's a much bigger name than Pascal.

In the end, though--Pascal would simply be miscast as Joe Gillis. I don't think he'd be able to act it.

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You