News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for buffalospeedway

Member Name: buffalospeedway
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Sam Mendes will direct 4 films about The Beatles (one from each member's POV) to be theatrically released by Sony in 2027
 Feb 24 2024, 08:00:40 PM

kdogg36 said: "buffalospeedway said: "I strongly disagree! George has a very dedicated fanbase. "Here Comes The Sun" is the most-streamed Beatles song on Spotify. He's always been my fave and I regard him as the best songwriter in the group. (For all the songs that John and Paul wrote, they never created a love song as arresting as "Something")."

I couldn't have said it better myself. As a Johnny-come-lately fan of The Beatles

Sam Mendes will direct 4 films about The Beatles (one from each member's POV) to be theatrically released by Sony in 2027
 Feb 24 2024, 07:56:16 PM

Zeppie2022 said: ""I strongly disagree! George has a very dedicated fanbase. "Here Comes The Sun" is the most-streamed Beatles song on Spotify. He's always been my fave and I regard him best songwriter in the group. (For all the songs that John and Paul wrote, they never created a love song as arresting as "Something")."

I never said George was not a talented songwriter. He just did not have the volume of greatsongs that John and Paul did

MJ recoups
 Feb 24 2024, 06:49:52 PM

BoringBoredBoard40 said: "sad when garbage like this makes insane money

what a lazy production
"

It wasn't garbage, nor was it lazy. Myles Frost was transcendent, and Christopher Wheeldon's choreography was excellent.

Also, I'm not sure why people are surprised that this recouped. It is a musical about the biggest pop star of all time, a pop star who also had a massive global following.

Feb 20 2024, 09:28:49 PM

ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "Plannietink08 said: "I wish Hidden Figures had been done this way. I always felt like all three of those women deserved their own biopics."

I think this sort of 4-film thing only works when it's about people as famous as THE BEATLES. Lesser known figures (such as those in Hidden Figures) could not sustain 4 films in a year. Heck, even The Beatles might not be able to sustain 4 films...

That this is not becomi

Feb 20 2024, 08:34:29 PM

Zeppie2022 said: ""I can't imagine the Ringo installment will do as well as the others."

Yep. To be honest, I don't think George installment will do much better. Most people will only care about John & Paul IMO.
"

I strongly disagree! George has a very dedicated fanbase. "Here Comes The Sun" is the most-streamed Beatles song on Spotify. He's always been my fave and I regard him best songwriter in the group. (For all

STEREOPHONIC @Playwrights Horizons
 Dec 14 2023, 11:49:25 PM

Sammy232 said: "buffalospeedway said: "Caught this a couple of weeks ago. Thought that Adjmi's script was very strong, but musicians will be able to tell that these are actors who learned to play their instruments specifically for this show. Not that there's anything wrong with that! It is a play and they were hired primarily for their acting abilities. But because the show is so hyper-realistic, certain details stuck out.

For example:

STEREOPHONIC @Playwrights Horizons
 Dec 14 2023, 12:59:18 AM

Caught this a couple of weeks ago. Thought that Adjmi's script was very strong, but musicians will be able to tell that these are actors who learned to play their instruments specifically for this show. Not that there's anything wrong with that! It is a play and they were hired primarily for their acting abilities. But because the show is so hyper-realistic, certain details stuck out.

For example:

NY City Center Encores 2024 season: ONCE UPON A MATTRESS with Sutton Foster (adapted by Amy Sherman-Palladino), JELLY'S LAST JAM, and TITANIC
 Nov 5 2023, 07:52:35 PM

Loved it, and Aisha Jackson was the standout for me. Her voice is exquisite. Ms. Devine is hilarious. I found it to be a rich and timely meditation on the compromises and negotiations that Black artists are expected to make in an antiblack world. 

Additional spoiler-ish thoughts:

Click Here To Toggle Spoiler Content

The part where Joey confronts

PURLIE VICTORIOUS Previews
 Sep 22 2023, 12:06:18 AM

Loved this so much! Leslie and Kara were wonderful (the entire cast is), and it was great to see Vanessa Bell Calloway as well. Excellent direction from Kenny (who is the hardest-working man in show business!). Mr. Davis and Ms. Dee are looking down from Heaven and smiling at this revival.

I had no issues understanding Leslie's dialogue, nor did anyone else around me.

Kennedy Center honorees announced
 Jun 27 2023, 03:22:05 PM

Queen Latifah is a Grammy-winning rap icon who has also had a decades-long, highly-acclaimed (Emmy, GG, NAACP, and Oscar-nominated) acting career in film and television. She is getting this honor because she's had an incredible career, not because she's on a CBS show. Congrats to her!

Broadway Discounts
 May 6 2023, 02:34:25 PM

Not a code but a discount for those asking: Hadestown, Shucked, and Sidney Brustein have all appeared on TDF if you have a membership. Hadestown and Shucked are listed quite frequently. You can also get Sidney Brustein rush tickets on Broadway Boosters (the Telecharge rush/lottery site).

Prima Facie vs. Sidney vs. Grey House
 May 4 2023, 03:11:48 PM

Sidney!

The 76th Annual Tony Award Nominations (2023)
 May 2 2023, 01:15:30 PM

Broadway61004 said: "buffalospeedway said: "Hopping aboard the Sharon D. Clarke outrage train! Jessica Hecht was warm and charming, but I would have swapped her with Clarke.."

Clarke was up for featured, so it wouldn't have been Hecht who took her spot. But I agree she should have been nominated.
"

Thanks for the clarification! That's a surprising ruling from the Tony Committee - everything about Linda Lo

The 76th Annual Tony Award Nominations (2023)
 May 2 2023, 12:45:23 PM

Rooting for Audra and Wendell. A lot of people seem to think that Best Actress in a Play is going to be a Comer/Chastain smackdown, but Audra is a Tony darling and should never be counted out.

I would have liked to see Best Revival of a Play and Scenic Design nominations for Ohio State Murders.

Hopping aboard the Sharon D. Clarke outrage train!

Everyone is talking about Soo but I was more surprised by Nathan Lane and Jeremy Pope. (Especially the latter, who wa

THE SIGN IN SIDNEY BRUSTEIN'S WINDOW - TICKET LINK
 May 2 2023, 12:46:25 AM

PipingHotPiccolo said: "i feel an immense pressure to appreciate this play because Lorraine Hansberry deserved a long career and national adulation, and she was robbed of both. And her sharp writing shines through here, and attention must be paid to her talent and insight.

but some writing holds up for 60 years, and some doesnt. its hard to stay rapt with attention when these characters talk in a way thats so strange to my ear, and when the leading man is such a horrible p

BAD CINDERELLA On Broadway - Reviews & News Thread
 Apr 23 2023, 07:15:33 PM

jkcohen626 said: "I heard a name that was real head scratcher because she's a very talented Tony winner with an impressive theatre resume... but just a theatre resume.

We've seen time and time again that Broadway stars (no matter how big) don't bring in people, only real A-listers do.

I think "film and TV stars" or "Hollywood stars/celebrities" might be more accurate to use than "real A-listers." Every industry has

THE SIGN IN SIDNEY BRUSTEIN'S WINDOW - TICKET LINK
 Apr 23 2023, 06:39:41 PM

JoeW4 - regarding the subject of Tony nominations, I would definitely say that OHIO STATE MURDERS was well-liked. It got nearly unanimously positive reviews and was also a NYT Critic's Pick, reviewed by Jesse Green. While I enjoyed Brosnahan in Window, Audra's performance in OSM was superior.

Viola Davis Becomes an EGOT With Grammy Win
 Feb 9 2023, 11:10:00 PM

Congrats to Viola, and shame on folks who are using her achievement to diminish Whoopi, John, and especially Jennifer. The idea that there can only be one Black artist who is "deserving" of the EGOT is the definition of white supremacy. Donors are incredibly important in theater. That's why producing houses have development departments. Jennifer didn't "buy" a producing credit, she invested in a show that needed every little bit of $$$ it could get. Her contributio

OHIO STATE MURDERS to close on 1/15
 Jan 13 2023, 11:16:15 AM

Congrats/Bravi to Kenny, Audra, Ms. Kennedy, and everyone on the OHIO STATE MURDERS team for a job well-done. This play is a jewel, and I'm glad to see the support it is receiving. In my (absolutely correct) opinion, Kennedy is the greatest playwright of all time. Glad she got her long-overdue Broadway debut!

BETWEEN RIVERSIDE AND CRAZY Previews
 Dec 17 2022, 08:43:41 PM

Mr. Henderson is a legend, and Common has really grown as an actor (also I can't believe he's 50, he looks incredible lol), but I was not as taken with Guirgis' play as many others. Spoilers and more thoughts below:

Click Here To Toggle Spoiler Content

The Good: The scenes with Pops, Audrey, and the Lieutenant show how white people can be warm a

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You