News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for spotlightproddirect

spotlightproddirect Profile Photo
Member Name: spotlightproddirect
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

re: Guys & Dolls photoshoot
 Jan 9 2009, 11:21:17 PM
"He bought me the fur thing five winters ago
And the gown the falling fall.
Then the necklace, the bag, the gloves, and the hat-
That was late FORTY-EIGHT, I recall."

So the year 1948 has passed, according to Adelaide.

Of course, the lyric was changed for the film...

re: FALSETTOS Revival?
 Nov 14 2008, 03:34:41 PM
Marvin leading on the synthesizer with Mendel at the drums and Whizzer on the oboe and alto sax? No, thank you.
re: best opening lyric
 Aug 9 2007, 09:59:31 PM
In my book, no one can write a better opening lyric than William Finn...

"Four Jews in a room bitching..."

"Homosexuals, women with children,
Short insomniacs, and a teeny-tiny band..."

re: Guess Another Musical…
 Aug 5 2007, 12:24:33 AM
Not a bad guess. But I think that show might be considered a tad bit controversial for a school like ours. I'm not quite sure the whole Indian reservation plot would really fly...

Geez, I'm not even sure if Whoo-Up! can be licensed these days. I don't see it listed at any of the major licensing houses...

Our school usually sticks to more mainstream fare. Your typical shows: My Fair Lady, Guys & Dolls, Little Abner, The Wizard of Oz, etc.

Annie Get Your Gun perhap

Guess Another Musical…
 Aug 4 2007, 05:19:47 PM
I’m not quite sure how messages like this are looked upon by the BroadwayWorld community, but I figure if anyone would be able to help me out, it would be someone on these boards…

Every year, my school’s choral director, like so many others, gives clues as to which musical we will be putting on. An example of a clue he has given before: “Prell.” As in the shampoo. Of course, this alluded to the song “I’m Gonna Wash That Man Right Outta My Hair” from South Pacific. Sure enough, that was

re: Composers you want to hear more from . . .
 Jul 12 2007, 08:59:36 PM
William Finn.
He writes his shows far too sporadically.

re: Toy Story the Musical
 Jul 12 2007, 05:06:53 PM
Valerie Vigoda and Brendan Milburn of the indie pop-rock band GrooveLily are writing additional songs and Mindi Dickstein, lyricist of Broadway's recent "Little Women", is writing the book.
re: Musicals with good scores that got bad ratings.
 Apr 7 2007, 04:33:21 PM
Ah... AMERICA KICKS UP IT'S HEELS is one of my favorites, too, despite it's serious flaws. I'm not quite sure what the librettist Charlie Rubin was trying to get at with the whole back-and-forth 1980's / Great Depression concept. I think that was the show's main problem.

There were definitely some brilliant moments in the show, though. Especially in Rubin's quirky libretto- too bad Finn decided to become his own librettist on ROMANCE.

Although I loved LuPone's "America, Kick Up

re: Musicals with good scores that got bad ratings.
 Apr 7 2007, 04:04:18 PM
William Finn's brilliant ROMANCE IN HARD TIMES. My favorite musical theatre score of all time... It's a downright shame this gem was never recorded.

"That's Enough For Me" and "You Cannot Let Romance Die" might very well be two of the most gorgeous songs ever written for the theatre. "Standing in Line" and "Places I Fainted from Hunger" definitely qualify as two of the catchiest songs I have ever heard. Some of the cleverest lyrical work I've heard in a show, too.

In my opinio

re: Top Ten Scores of All Time
 Apr 7 2007, 03:55:03 PM
Alphabetically...

1.) Bernarda Alba
2.) Caroline or Change
3.) Chicago
4.) A Little Night Music
5.) March of the Falsettos
6.) Merrily We Roll Along
7.) The Most Happy Fella
8.) Ragtime
9.) Romance in Hard Times (my absolute favorite!)
10.) Sunday in the Park with George

Honorable Mentions:

Elegies, Follies, Guys and Dolls, Nine, Parade, and Sweeney Todd

re: clue the musical
 Aug 13 2005, 07:28:20 PM
I'm currently directing a production of Clue the Musical with my theatrical organization in Birmingham, AL. Personally, I find the show quite entertaining; it's funny (though cheesy, I agree) and has some great music (in particular 'Everyday Devices' and 'Corridors and Halls'.) It's also got some great and memorable characters.

Anyway... I was lucky enough to recieve the Cast Recording of the show from the Manhattan Repertory Co. in 1998. I don't know where you can find one anymore but

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You