News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for chrissly

chrissly Profile Photo
Member Name: chrissly
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

re: BroadwayWorld Presents: 'The Wedding Singer' First Look Video!
 Feb 18 2006, 08:02:44 PM
"hey hey hey, I didnt put the picture there because i liked the show its because i think its HOT! lol"

No arguments there...

Feb 18 2006, 02:50:36 AM
HA! So do I!
 Feb 18 2006, 01:51:36 AM
"oy vey, leave it alone people. Let it impress you/not impress you when you see it LIVE"

Says the person with a pic from the show as their avatar. Looks like you've already judged.

If these people are going to try to produce a such a safe show – a musical based on a popular '80's movie set in an in vogue decade – then I don't see why we can't judge it based on the clips we've seen. Clips presumably OK'd by the producers (those cameras were far to close to be "archival." Sure, t

re: Sweeney Todd-10/26/2005
 Nov 5 2005, 02:22:18 PM
. . . but I always felt it would work better if it was less literal. making the story take place in Toby's mind makes it less literal. It becomes about the themes, the emotions, the trials of these characters... not about the time period, the setting, the specific circumstances.

so this story takes place in toby's head? did you read that somewhere, some program note i missed? is there something indicative of that, other than toby beginning and ending the piece? i don't disagree

re: Sweeney Todd-10/26/2005
 Nov 3 2005, 06:09:41 PM
i saw the production this past wednesday, and i gotta say this production is textbook "concept." those who are decrying the use of "concept" to criticize this show need to read up a little on dramatic theory.

in theory i liked the idea. when i heard about it i was very excited to see it. ultimately, though, the thing just doesn't work. first off is the insane asylum conceit. why? how does this inform the story? by that, i mean the story of the show, not the story of sweeney todd. i don'

re: IN MY LIFE review (Thurs. 10/6/05 8pm)
 Oct 8 2005, 10:17:34 AM
Do you think the scenic designer had any sense of the irony of a GIANT LEMON decending the from flies?
re: All Shook Up to Close on Sunday, September 25, 2005
 Sep 21 2005, 06:32:25 PM
i'm curious; what can you POSSIBLY get out of seeing this show four perfomrnaces in a row. i assume you have seen it before once or twice.
re: All Shook Up to Close on Sunday, September 25, 2005
 Sep 21 2005, 07:53:49 AM
the cast may have seen the writing on the wall (or in the empty seats) but they got notice yesterday, just like you. never assume a producer has anything resembling a heart.
re: ClumsyDude gets ALL SHOOK UP again. (9-17-05 8:00 show)
 Sep 18 2005, 10:50:48 AM
Wow. What an awesome post about an awesomely awesome experience. With such an awesome critical eye, you should write for the NYTimes. That would be awesome.
re: Sondheim vs. ALW
 Sep 11 2005, 08:53:53 PM
Once when I was bartending I told this joke:

"What's the difference between ALW and and Uzi? An Uzi only repeats itself one hundred times a minute."

One of my customers responded by singing the following to the tune of "Send in the Clowns:"

"Aren't I rich?/Aren't I queer?/Writing this dissonant sh!t, year after year."

My personal opinion, though, is that one hundred years from now there will be more productions of SS than of ALW.

re: Why do performers of today have no STAR quality?
 Aug 25 2005, 01:02:18 AM
Stepping back from the Maureen bashing for a bit, the original post's subject was "Why do performers of today have no STAR quality?" I'm always very interested whenever anyone brings up this "star quality" thing.

To answer the original question, I think Star Quality needs to be defined. Saying it's "that certain something" isn't good enough. To know something is to be able to define it. If you can define it (and here's a hint, it's not album sales) then you can begin to ponder why it ma

re: Biggest Showtowns Outside NY
 Aug 20 2005, 12:44:31 AM
LA is a "great" theatre town because the 99 seat plan allows actors to be bent over. Know why there isn't a 99 seat plan in other cities? 'Cause Equity learned from the mistake of LA. There are theatre companies out there that require actors to PAY THEM to be members, and of course there's no guarantee of being cast. Not that there can't be great theatre made in any adverse environment. Just don't confuse a large number of store-front companies producing sub-standard productions with a "great"
You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You