News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for slimandslam

slimandslam Profile Photo
Member Name: slimandslam
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

re: How do actors keep from getting bored doing the same show over and over
 Nov 28 2008, 10:42:29 PM
"It takes a very special kind of person to be a true theatre professional, and being able to perform at the same level over weeks and months is just one of those things that comes with the territory."

Amen to that.

I'm not a true theatre professional, so what keeps me from being bored is... being bored. You get bored, you lose concentration, you make a mistake because of it, you feel embarrassed, you concentrate *much* better during the next performance, and that improved conce

re: A Life Worthy of Musicalization
 Nov 19 2008, 09:32:41 PM
Some thoughts:

George Plimpton
Sonny Liston
Andy Warhol
Orval Faubus

And, no matter what you think about her personality or her politics, a musical that covered the life of Sarah Palin from August to November 2008 could be terrific. Such a crazy story...

Legendary arts critic Clive Barnes has died
 Nov 19 2008, 09:22:54 PM
I find it interesting that the first posting of the NYTimes obit had "dance critic" in its headline (it now just says "critic"). The obit stressed his contributions to dance criticism, and made his theater-criticism work seem more like an afterthought.

(...which is just to say that I'm paraphrasing William Goldman, 40 years later.)

re: Jack The Opera
 Sep 17 2008, 11:28:59 PM
I was thinking Jack Nicholson.
John Booth, first chairman of TDF, has died
 Sep 17 2008, 07:15:13 AM
As one who has purchased many, many tickets from TKTS and otherwise benefitted from TDF's mission, I will spend a little time today remembering Mr. Booth, who was instrumental in defining and implementing that mission. Thank you and rest in peace.
re: Forbidden Broadway to close January 15
 Sep 13 2008, 06:52:52 PM
I saw FB once at the very beginning, in the early '80s, and laughed my fool head off. More recently, I thought of it like I think of the Statue of Liberty: I'm glad it's there, but I never go to see it.

Except now it won't be there. I'm a little sad, but it just means that parody Broadway lyrics will once more become truly insider references, calling cards of a secret club, rather than trying to find an audience of their own.

Hypothetical Best Song Tony, 2007-08
 May 27 2008, 10:42:15 AM
Of course, it isn't a category, but if it were, what do you think would be the nominees this year?

(I'm looking for predictions, not preferences, but feel free to give both.)

re: Do you give a standing ovation at every show?
 May 8 2008, 12:02:02 AM
No.
re: The Tony Battle Is Enjoined; First Blood, Prince
 Apr 14 2008, 09:57:01 PM
< vocabulary cop >

The subject of this thread should be changed. To "enjoin" something is to forbid it or prevent it.

The phrase you probably want is "the battle is joined." It takes two (or more) to have a battle, so once a second person (or nation, or army, or whatever) joins the battle, then the battle starts.

< / vocabulary cop >

re: Weirdest Show Titles
 Apr 10 2008, 01:54:12 PM
March of the Falsettos
Falsettoland

(Individually, both of these are weirder titles than the "Falsettos" amalgamation of the two.)

re: Now YOU Can Do Sondheim's Crossword Puzzles
 Apr 8 2008, 07:23:46 AM
I'm glad to see these. Sondheim's reputation among cryptic-crossword aficionados is legion.

If you like this sort of thing, then you should subscribe to Harper's, and get a crossword much like this every month, created by Richard Maltby, Jr. (There's also the online puzzle in The Atlantic, but it's from Emily Cox and Henry Rathvon, so it lacks that Broadway connection.)

re: 'Broadway March Madness' results thread
 Apr 7 2008, 11:06:28 PM
Bumped to highlight the final result:

The people have spoken. As the winner of BWW March Madness 2008, I can confidently say that BWW habitués’ favorite Broadway musical of the nineties is…

Ragtime!

It was fairly convincing. In their six-matchup march to the championship, Ragtime not only won each game, but won each game with at least 64% of the vote. The score in the final-game win over Miss Saigon was 86-32.

I’d like to thank all of you who participated. I’m

re: Why Passing Strange has to win the Tony for Best Musical
 Apr 7 2008, 10:41:38 PM
I thoroughly enjoyed Passing Strange... but I also agree with blaxx. The show derives a good deal of its power by the emotional immediacy of Stew onstage telling his own story.
re: Great two-handers??
 Apr 7 2008, 07:13:13 AM
The first three that came to mind were:
The House of Sleeping Beauties (David Henry Hwang)
The Lover (Harold Pinter)
The Loveliest Afternoon of the Year (John Guare)

Israel Horovitz has several short two-character plays in his collection 16 Short Plays (published by Smith & Kraus as part of their "Plays for Actors" series).

The PlayFinder over at Dramatists Play Service gives 155 possibilities for your query (1 man, 1 woman, short play). Try it at www.dramati

re: Miss Saigon vs. Ragtime (March Madness Finals)
 Apr 6 2008, 11:05:36 PM
What I find interesting is that neither of our two finalists for Best Musical of the '90's actually won the Best Musical Tony Award.

For that matter, none of the Final Four were Best Musical winners (the other two being Falsettos and Side Show). Only two of the Elite Eight were Tony winners for Best Musical (Kiss of the Spider Woman and Passion).

Heck, one of the Best Musical winners went down in the first round (Fosse).

re: WOW: GYPSY's 2-page Times ad
 Apr 6 2008, 09:21:07 AM
Does the New York Times now print on pink paper?
Charlton Heston in "Mister Roberts"?
 Apr 6 2008, 09:14:09 AM
The New York Times obituary for Heston includes this paragraph:

When they returned to New York in 1947, Mr. Heston got his first big break, landing the role of Caesar’s lieutenant in a Broadway production of Shakespeare’s “Antony and Cleopatra” staged by Guthrie McClintick and starring Katharine Cornell. The production ran for seven months and proved to be the high point of Mr. Heston’s New York stage career. He appeared in a handful of other plays, most of them dismal failures, al

re: Charlton Heston dies
 Apr 6 2008, 08:43:59 AM
To save everyone the trouble of checking IBDB, here are Charlton Heston's Broadway credits:

1947-48: Played Proculeius in a production of Shakespeare's Antony and Cleopatra at the Martin Beck. Katharine Cornell played Cleopatra, and Godfrey Tearle played Antony. Eli Wallach was also in that production, as Diomedes. Ran for 126 performances.

1949: Appeared in an original play called Leaf and Bough by Joseph Hayes, which ran for three performances at the Cort. I kno

re: Christopher Bond's adaptation of SWEENEY TODD
 Apr 5 2008, 11:49:52 PM
The acting edition is available from Samuel French London. (http://www.samuelfrench-london.co.uk/) (ISBN: 0-573-01547-2)
re: Is John Tartaglia Under Contract for Disney?
 Apr 5 2008, 11:25:47 PM
Well, your original question does imply another question ("Is it possible for John Tartaglia to have some sort of contract with Disney and still be allowed to do work in a Dreamworks project?"), and that's the question others (including Foster) tried to answer. In this instance, I do think that's a relevant take on your post.

We did all duck your original question, though. Maybe we should become press spokesmen for politicians. We've got the skillz.

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You