Weirdest Show Titles

VonTussleGirl Profile Photo
VonTussleGirl
#1Weirdest Show Titles
Posted: 4/10/08 at 12:01am

What are some of the strangest titles of plays/musicals that have played Broadway?

Just wonderin'. =)

Kasie Profile Photo
Kasie
#2re: Weirdest Show Titles
Posted: 4/10/08 at 12:04am

Hairspray.

If you think about it, it is kinda weird.

broadwayman17
#2re: Weirdest Show Titles
Posted: 4/10/08 at 12:09am

Passing Strange
Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street
Spring Awakening
August: Osage County
Boeing-Boeing

Yes, but sometimes people have a third deeper layer thats the same as the first. Like pie. Dr. Horrible

LePetiteFromage
Posted: 4/10/08 at 12:10am

Updated On: 5/6/09 at 12:10 AM

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#4re: Weirdest Show Titles
Posted: 4/10/08 at 12:12am

Define "weird." As in the title on its own or the title relating to the play's content?

"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle

TooDarnHot Profile Photo
TooDarnHot
#5re: Weirdest Show Titles
Posted: 4/10/08 at 12:21am

every single show title.

there! all set.

Marianne2 Profile Photo
Marianne2
#6re: Weirdest Show Titles
Posted: 4/10/08 at 12:26am

The Drowsy Chaperone-Sorry, I don't know what this is about, so the title makes me think of a person chaperoning an event, and being really really tired. LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And this isn't on Broadway, but it is a monthly show at the Zipper Factory. It's titled Don't Quit Your Night Job.

"I don't want the pretty lights to come and get me."-Homecoming 2005 "You can't pray away the gay."-Callie Torres on Grey's Anatomy. Ignored Users: suestorm, N2N Nate., Owen22, master bates

thatgirl712 Profile Photo
thatgirl712
#7re: Weirdest Show Titles
Posted: 4/10/08 at 12:26am

I agree.

If I heard the bells and the banjos ring

KrissySim
#8re: Weirdest Show Titles
Posted: 4/10/08 at 12:37am

The Roar of the Greasepaint - The Smell of the Crowd
The Day the Whores Came Out to Play Tennis (Off-B'way actually)
You Know I Can't Hear You When the Water's Running
A Day in the Death of Joe Egg
Stop the World - I Want to Get Off

BigFatBlonde Profile Photo
BigFatBlonde
#9re: Weirdest Show Titles
Posted: 4/10/08 at 12:49am

The Iceman Cometh

What great ones do the less will prattle of

MrSweetNAwful Profile Photo
MrSweetNAwful
#10re: Weirdest Show Titles
Posted: 4/10/08 at 1:16am

Thank you BigFatBlonde for being possibly my last laugh of the day before I fall asleep.

[title of show]
Urinetown (I mean they say it's a bad title in the show itself)
tick, tick...BOOM!
The Rocky Horror Show
Passing Strange (I'm guessing it's something discussed in the show that isn't mentioned in publicity notes)
Kiss of the Spider Woman
Hedwig and the Angry Inch
The Drowsy Chaperone
Flora, The Red Menace
The Musical of Musicals...the musical!

and
The Vagina Monologues

You're reminding me of people you hear at the movies asking questions every ten seconds, "Who is that? Why is that guy walking down the street? Who's that lady coming up to him? Uh-oh, why did that car go by? Why is it so dark in this theater?" - FindingNamo on strummergirl

"If artists were machines, then I'm just a different kind of machine...I'd probably be a toaster. Actually, I'd be a toaster oven because they're more versatile. And I like making grilled cheese" -Regina Spektor

"That's, like, twelve shows! ...Or seven." -Crazy SA Fangirl

"They say that just being relaxed is the most important thing [in acting]. I take that to another level, I think kinda like yawning and...like being partially asleep onstage is also good, but whatever." - Sherie Rene Scott

KrissySim
#11re: Weirdest Show Titles
Posted: 4/10/08 at 2:08am

Oh Dad, Poor Dad, Mama's Hung You in the Closet and I'm Feeling so Sad

jeniferrenepatricia Profile Photo
jeniferrenepatricia
#12re: Weirdest Show Titles
Posted: 4/10/08 at 2:19am

The Puppetry of the Penis (off-Bway)

Acting should be bigger than life. Scripts should be bigger than life. It should all be bigger than life.- Bette Davis

DMsquared2 Profile Photo
DMsquared2
#13re: Weirdest Show Titles
Posted: 4/10/08 at 2:41am

I thought Passing Strange was a Shakespeare reference... Yes? No?

StickToPriest Profile Photo
StickToPriest
#14re: Weirdest Show Titles
Posted: 4/10/08 at 2:57am

Well, I know nothing about the show itself, but "passing strange" definitely comes from Shakespeare. It is from a soliloquy of Othello's when he is talking about Desdemona.

"One no longer loves one's insight enough once one communicates it."

The opposite of creation isn't war, it's stagnation.

commasplice
#15re: Weirdest Show Titles
Posted: 4/10/08 at 3:25am

The Persecution and Assassination of Jean-Paul Marat as Performed by the Inmates of the Asylum of Charenton Under the Direction of the Marquis de Sade

It's not *the* weirdest, but at the very least, you have to give it points for being so damn long.

musicalkid Profile Photo
musicalkid
#16re: Weirdest Show Titles
Posted: 4/10/08 at 4:06am

a new brain

Bring Disney's "Der Glockner Von Notre Dame" To Broadway!
http://musicalkid.multiply.com/

DidYouReallyHearMe
#17re: Weirdest Show Titles
Posted: 4/10/08 at 5:35am

Vampire Lesbians of Sodom.

Eastwickian Profile Photo
Eastwickian
#18re: Weirdest Show Titles
Posted: 4/10/08 at 6:15am

Shopping and F*CKing (London)

Yankeefan007
#19re: Weirdest Show Titles
Posted: 4/10/08 at 6:56am

The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee

ErinDillyFan Profile Photo
ErinDillyFan
#20re: Weirdest Show Titles
Posted: 4/10/08 at 8:30am

Do Black Patent Leather Shoes Really Reflect Up?
Gumboots
Can Heironymus Merkin Ever Forget Mercy Humppe and Find True Happiness? Updated On: 4/10/08 at 08:30 AM

JRybka Profile Photo
JRybka
#21re: Weirdest Show Titles
Posted: 4/10/08 at 10:40am

Honk! (cute but strange)

"Whenever I get gloomy with the state of the world, I think about the arrivals gate at Heathrow Airport. General opinion's starting to make out that we live in a world of hatred and greed, but I don't see that. It seems to me that love is everywhere. Often it's not particularly dignified or newsworthy, but it's always there - fathers and sons, mothers and daughters, husbands and wives, boyfriends, girlfriends, old friends. When the planes hit the Twin Towers, as far as I know none of the phone calls from the people on board were messages of hate or revenge - they were all messages of love. If you look for it, I've got a sneaky feeling you'll find that love actually is all around."

allofmylife Profile Photo
allofmylife
#22re: Weirdest Show Titles
Posted: 4/10/08 at 10:45am

Texas, L'il Darlin'

Sounds like what JR Ewing would whisper in your ear while porking you ("Don't worry, it's just Texas, L'il Darlin....")

http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=972787#3631451 http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=963561#3533883 http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=955158#3440952 http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=954269#3427915 http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=955012#3441622 http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=954344#3428699

madbrian Profile Photo
madbrian
#23re: Weirdest Show Titles
Posted: 4/10/08 at 10:53am

The Goat, or Who is Sylvia?

"It does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are 20 gods or no god. It neither picks my pocket, nor breaks my leg." -- Thomas Jefferson

puppetman2
#24re: Weirdest Show Titles
Posted: 4/10/08 at 11:19am

Flahooley

It Sucks To Be Me

Videos