pixeltracker

Forbidden Broadway to close January 15

Forbidden Broadway to close January 15

Yankeefan007
#1Forbidden Broadway to close January 15
Posted: 9/12/08 at 9:19am

With no reopening date set at this point.

"Creator Gerard Alessandrini announced that after "Forbidden Broadway Goes to Rehab" shutters Jan. 15, "Forbidden Broadway" will take what's to be at least an extended break from Gotham, although the show plans to tour the country after that.

Alessandrini hopes the property will return to Gotham down the line, though whether and when it happens has yet to be firmed up. He cited the "changing of the artistic climate on Broadway" as the impetus for the downtime."

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117992079.html?categoryid=15&cs=1

broadwayjim42
#2re: Forbidden Broadway to close January 15
Posted: 9/12/08 at 9:25am

...and not the fact that both times I've seen it there were maybe 50 people in the theatre?

Wanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
#2re: Forbidden Broadway to close January 15
Posted: 9/12/08 at 10:06am

Good riddance to trash.

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)

Borstalboy Profile Photo
Borstalboy
#3re: Forbidden Broadway to close January 15
Posted: 9/12/08 at 10:08am

How exactly is it trash, Wanna Be?

"Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing.” ~ Muhammad Ali

Wanna Be A Foster
#4re: Forbidden Broadway to close January 15
Posted: 9/12/08 at 10:12am

I've found the last few incarnations to take rude shots at performers' careers, as opposed to the productions themselves.

Maybe at one point this show had a purpose, but I don't see the purpose of it now.

Either that, or the creative team has lost its spark.

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."

TonyVincent Profile Photo
TonyVincent
#5re: Forbidden Broadway to close January 15
Posted: 9/12/08 at 10:17am

Really? I saw "Rude Awakening" about 6 months ago and found it to be good, clean jabs at current shows and Broadway in general.

I'll definitely try to see it before it closes, now that SP, SITPWG, Gypsy, and ITH are being spoofed. I thought the current iteration was called "Dances with the Stars." Did it just change?

EDIT: Yeah, looks like it just changed. Also sounds like SITPWG was taken out re: Forbidden Broadway to close January 15. Does anyone have a clip or audio of that or wants to tell me what they spoofed? Would have loved to see that. Updated On: 9/12/08 at 10:17 AM

Wanna Be A Foster
#6re: Forbidden Broadway to close January 15
Posted: 9/12/08 at 10:21am

Dances With The Stars was the summer edition.

The new one is called Goes To Rehab.

-Kad

Marianne2 Profile Photo
Marianne2
#7re: Forbidden Broadway to close January 15
Posted: 9/12/08 at 10:38am

Wow... Good thing I got tickets to see this next week. I'll see how it is.

"I don't want the pretty lights to come and get me."-Homecoming 2005 "You can't pray away the gay."-Callie Torres on Grey's Anatomy. Ignored Users: suestorm, N2N Nate., Owen22, master bates

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#8re: Forbidden Broadway to close January 15
Posted: 9/12/08 at 10:50am

Wow!

I saw the very first incarnation.

And I worked as a waiter upstairs with the show for a couple of years at Palsson's Supper Club (their first venue). I also worked the Forbidden Broadway box office.

That was 23 years ago.

Here's to a great, long run. Some wonderful memories of performers, crew, bartenders and waitstaff alike.

Cheers! It was a very good run.

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22

broadwayfan7 Profile Photo
broadwayfan7
#9re: Forbidden Broadway to close January 15
Posted: 9/12/08 at 10:52am

Never got a chance to see this show, but I wish everyone involved with the show a great rest of the run!

"Everytime you step on that stage it is somebody's first Broadway show and somebody's last Broadway show. Make it count."

WestVillage Profile Photo
WestVillage
#10re: Forbidden Broadway to close January 15
Posted: 9/12/08 at 10:59am

"Good riddance to trash."

Gee, WannaBe .. any time someone says something along those same lines about a show you like (especially [tos]), you bombard them with nasty remarks about how miserable they must be in life and that they are jealous of other people's success. Hmm. What's good for the goose ...

But on a positive note ... FB has given thousands of people a lot of good laughs and fun times, and I am grateful for the talents of Gerard and his wonderful casts throughout the years. I always looked forward to the next incarnation. True, not all were as good as others, but it always delivered. A little slice of the NY theatre scene will be missing when there is no more FB to spoof and poke fun at the Great White Way.
Updated On: 9/12/08 at 10:59 AM

WickedBoy2 Profile Photo
WickedBoy2
#11re: Forbidden Broadway to close January 15
Posted: 9/12/08 at 11:02am

I wish we could say good riddance to you!

A young actress with Noel coward after a dreadful opening night performance said to him 'Well, i knew my lines backwards this morning!'' Noels fast reply was ''Yes dear, and thats exactly how you said them tonight'!'

Gothampc
#12re: Forbidden Broadway to close January 15
Posted: 9/12/08 at 11:04am

I still have trouble remembering some lyrics from "Everything's Coming Up Roses" because of Forbidden Broadway.

Several years ago, they did a spot at the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade. The Ethel Merman actress sang "...and no one gets their turkey till I'm through..." That's the first lyric that always comes to mind.

If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.

Scarywarhol Profile Photo
Scarywarhol
#13re: Forbidden Broadway to close January 15
Posted: 9/12/08 at 11:09am

Sad to see such a long-standing tradition go, but honestly, I've only ever seen "Roast of Utopia" and thought it was terrible, other than the Spring Awakening spoof.

Amalia Balash Profile Photo
Amalia Balash
#14re: Forbidden Broadway to close January 15
Posted: 9/12/08 at 11:22am

I saw three different editions of Forbidden Broadway over a ten-year period and enjoyed them all. I may not have seen every edition every time I went to NYC, but I liked knowing that it was an option. If there's a tour and it comes to DC, I'll see it, but it just won't be the same.

Marianne2 Profile Photo
Marianne2
#15re: Forbidden Broadway to close January 15
Posted: 9/12/08 at 11:37am

Does anyone think them offering discount tickets at like $25 doesn't help? I tried getting tickets a couple of days ago when they were $29 & $39 for the discount, but it got taken down right before I was going to order them. So, yesterday I went back, and they had a new discount for $25 & $30. Obviously I was happy for the better discount, but I just don't understand how shows can stay open with the discounts they give sometimes.

"I don't want the pretty lights to come and get me."-Homecoming 2005 "You can't pray away the gay."-Callie Torres on Grey's Anatomy. Ignored Users: suestorm, N2N Nate., Owen22, master bates

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#16re: Forbidden Broadway to close January 15
Posted: 9/12/08 at 11:39am

Some of the recent editions had started to get quite tiresome and not nearly as funny as older ones. They kept some numbers in the show far too long. "Beauty's Been Decreased" for instance, was there well after the show had closed, much less downsized.

white guy Profile Photo
white guy
#17re: Forbidden Broadway to close January 15
Posted: 9/12/08 at 11:39am

The new spoofs of [title of show], in the heights, Sunday, and Young Frankenstein are my favorites !

dry2olives Profile Photo
dry2olives
#18re: Forbidden Broadway to close January 15
Posted: 9/12/08 at 11:54am

Hey best12bars, I might have run into you during those early days at Palsson's when my friends and I would go see FB and there were very small houses with people who didn't seem to understand the references. I remember one night a waiter came to our table (we were the only ones laughing consistently all night) and said, "Thank you for getting the jokes." Any chance that might have been you?

WickedBoy2 Profile Photo
WickedBoy2
#19re: Forbidden Broadway to close January 15
Posted: 9/12/08 at 11:56am

It will be back!
Its closed many times before!

A young actress with Noel coward after a dreadful opening night performance said to him 'Well, i knew my lines backwards this morning!'' Noels fast reply was ''Yes dear, and thats exactly how you said them tonight'!'

Corine2 Profile Photo
Corine2
#20re: Forbidden Broadway to close January 15
Posted: 9/12/08 at 12:37pm

I have a broken ankle and a broken heart. Forbidden Broadway is the funniest show ever created. If anyone out there is a fan of me or my site please go and buy tickets. There is no Broadway like Forbidden Broadway. I am writing this in a hospital bed but if I could be there I would.

PLEASE SAVE MY FAVORITE SHOW OF ALL TIME. PLEASE!

If you can run, go and buy tickets. It is the funniest show ever created and you would be doing me a giant favor.

Corine Cohen
Forbidden Broadway's biggest fan.

Vespertine1228 Profile Photo
Vespertine1228
#21re: Forbidden Broadway to close January 15
Posted: 9/12/08 at 12:54pm

The most recent edition I've seen was the Rude Awakening. I thought it was funny, but not great. I think maybe some time off may be just what the show needs.

That said, nothing can demerit their amazing run and the many terrific cast albums they've put out in the past.

TonyVincent Profile Photo
TonyVincent
#22re: Forbidden Broadway to close January 15
Posted: 9/12/08 at 1:15pm

Hey white guy (you don't accept PMs)... when did you see it? I'm trying to figure out if the Sunday spoof is still in it so it's worth seeing ASAP. Thanks!

white guy Profile Photo
white guy
#23re: Forbidden Broadway to close January 15
Posted: 9/12/08 at 1:16pm

Tony Vincent....the Sunday/Sondheim/Bernadette spoof is still in it, and closes the show now.

you won't miss seeing it. it's in.

TheaterBaby Profile Photo
TheaterBaby
#24re: Forbidden Broadway to close January 15
Posted: 9/12/08 at 1:40pm

Ohhh re: Forbidden Broadway to close January 15 I love FB

Though I've always felt it was strictly for the theatre insiders and hard-core fans. It was never main-stream enough for the once-in-a-while theatre attendee to grasp.

"It's the little things; the details, that distinguish the Barbra Streisands from the Rosalyn Kinds."~Gilmore Girls~

Videos