News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for Vespertine1228

Vespertine1228 Profile Photo
Member Name: Vespertine1228
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

EVERYBODY'S TALKING ABOUT JAMIE American premiere set for 2022 at the Ahmanson  Apr 13 2021, 01:00:07 PM

Ugh. OK. Fine. I guess I'll go downtown. :)

Looking forward to seeing this in 2022. I wonder if they'll try to cast from local LA drag talent.

Aug 10 2020, 11:14:53 AM

I thought this was a classic case of "Fascinating subject, not so great documentary."

I didn't care for not being able to see the person talking. It felt like watching a very well put together slideshow with narration. And the moments where you did see people talking in real time weren't very intentional and didn't really drive home the emotional impact of Ashman and his work. I want to see the most important people in his life like people like Menken, his widowed partner, Katzenburg, etc.

I'm glad I watched it, and it was a thrill to see all the BTS and early footage of the Disney classics, but it felt a lot like a Wikipedia entry to me.

Say Something Bunny  Feb 18 2020, 08:47:15 PM

It's the best thing I saw in 2017 and a Top 10 overall for my 15 years in NYC.

I actually didn't realize it was still playing with the original performer. I just booked tickets to see it a second time when some family comes to town in April.

Gary Coming to Albuquerque!  Oct 20 2019, 10:30:32 AM

I would be shocked if parts of the original set, at least the corpses with practical effects, weren't preserved to rent out to high profile regional productions like this one. Like the puppets they rent out for Little Shop around the country.

I think this play was unjustly panned by most people and actually think it could be quite popular around the country at the more forward thinking regional houses.

Audience Member Pet Peeve  Apr 26 2019, 12:03:15 AM

Childish infighting aside...

I agree with the OP.

When someone is giving a loud opinion immediately following the show while people are just trying to make their way toward the exit it’s always about them, not about the work itself. They want people to agree with them. It seems a little classless to me.

This actually happened to me on Sunday at All My Sons. I thought the production was excellent and the woman next to me, less than 10 seconds after the curtain call,

Refer To Actor By First Name  Apr 22 2019, 09:33:46 AM

I used to do this when I was a preteen and my parents would take me to Blockbuster Video. It drove them CRAZY.

We mutually found the line when I referred to a movie starring Jennifer Love Hewitt as a movie starring J. Love. Even I could tell that was too familiar.

What would you do if you were performing on Broadway in between shows on Matinee Days?  Apr 14 2019, 09:36:47 AM

Like everyone says, it depends on the length of the show, the location of the theater, etc.

That being said, I was in an Off-Broadway show that was very long. We didn't have much time between performances, so I started a tradition every two-show day where we'd go to the McDonald's down the block and get Happy Meals. Then we'd give the toys names and eventually hide them in places around the theater/dressing room.

Actors do weird/silly things...

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 3/31/19  Apr 2 2019, 08:52:04 AM

I assume they will keep King Kong around until The Music Man wants the Broadway in 2020.

NASSIM  Mar 19 2019, 09:59:51 AM

I saw this with Maria Dizzia. It was a moving evening.

They release the actor schedule a week or two beforehand. I say pick somebody whose work you admire and go see it. Really worth the time.

Hurricane Diane (NYTW)  Mar 14 2019, 09:35:42 AM

I saw this on Tuesday night and the house was only full. I imagine we'll be seeing several ticket offers of one kind or another over these final weeks of the run.

I thought the Time Out NY review of this was right on the money. Love love loved the first hour. Excellent. But the final 30 minutes didn't ramp up and deliver on the promise of what came before. I'm happy I saw it, but I left a little disappointed.

Still, I think it's worth going to see.

Is Dave dead?  Mar 14 2019, 09:33:37 AM

They made a joke about this the other night at the [title of show] reunion concert.

Hunter was doing an updated version of the list of musicals based on movies, and when he said Dave he said it like there was a question mark at the end of it.

The joke killed.

THE HUMANS Film starring Richard Jenkins, Jayne Houdyshell, Amy Schumer, Beanie Feldstein  Mar 13 2019, 09:41:09 PM

I didn't intend anything negative by my "Emperor has no clothes" comment. You can dislike something that a lot of other people like without feeling superior about yourself.

More often than not if my thoughts go against the grain of popular opinion, I find myself thinking more about a work and wondering if I missed anything. I try to think about it from all the points of view I'm capable of.

Sometimes though, there's just no there there, and t

THE HUMANS Film starring Richard Jenkins, Jayne Houdyshell, Amy Schumer, Beanie Feldstein  Mar 13 2019, 06:24:59 PM

For me, The Humans is the worst case of the Emperor having no clothes in the past decade. I just couldn't see what all the fuss was about, and certainly don't think the play makes for natural cinematic material.

That being said, it is an exciting cast.

ONCE UPON A ONE MORE TIME/Britney Spears musical to play pre-Broadway Chicago engagement  Mar 12 2019, 11:34:52 AM

I also agree that this should be called Lucky, even if it has the exact same plot. They can sell fairy tale in the marketing and the main draw is the music anyway.

I'm always much more interested in a jukebox musical with a fictional plot instead of a biography. Sounds fun.

[Title of Show] Reunion  Mar 12 2019, 09:42:46 AM

I was there too and it was an incredible evening.

I saw the show several times Off-Broadway but only once on Broadway. Since the Off-Broadway version was the one they recorded, and since there were quite a few changes for Broadway, it was a thrill to see that version again.

There was just something very beautiful and resonant about seeing them inhabit themselves 10 years later.

Plus, it was so hot in there that it doubled as a trip to the sauna!

BE MORE CHILL (Broadway) Reviews  Mar 10 2019, 10:19:00 PM

I expect a statement coming tomorrow along the lines of "We never made a show for the critics, we made a show for the fans."

I still haven't seen Mean Girls or The Prom. Didn't realize how many teen shows there are on Broadway at the moment until the review pointed it out.

AIDA revival?  Mar 1 2019, 02:08:04 PM

There is no way, in 2019, they could get away with having all of the Egyptian characters played by white actors again. There just isn't. It was wrong when they did it in 2000. I wouldn't count on Aaron Tveit as Radames any time soon.

Aida was my first Broadway show, so it has a special place in my heart, but I don't see a reason to revive it. At least not right now.

Overworked Directors  Mar 1 2019, 02:05:08 PM

It's common knowledge that high profile directors like these use their assistant directors for help during overlapping projects.

In demand actors are often balancing their time between various projects, but I'm not sure it's such a good move for directors.

What the Constitution Means to Me - Helen Hayes Theater March 2019  Jan 14 2019, 10:42:22 AM

This is why it's important to have such a small theater like the Helen Hayes on Broadway.

I'm not sure how well it'll do commercially. It's a big leap from the Village, but I'm excited there were producers willing to take it.

What is the best Stage Performance You Have Ever Seen?  Nov 5 2018, 10:54:29 AM

I remember seeing A Streetcar Named Desire at BAM, with Cate Blanchett as Blanche, and thinking to myself after it was over "Well I never need to see that again. No one could possibly do it better."

And just because drama always seems to take precedent over comedy in discussions like these, James Corden's comic genius in One Man, Two Guvnors cannot be overstated.

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You