News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for runaways

Member Name: runaways
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Falsettos National Tour
 Jun 15 2019, 02:43:32 PM

New WICKED Cast Replacements this month and next?
 May 29 2019, 08:09:18 PM

singer234 said: "She was incredible. Probably the strongest Elphaba vocally next to Shoshana Bean that I’ve ever seen. Her tone really reminded me of Idina, and it was so nice to hear that score sung by a unique voice again instead of the contemporary musical theatre sound they’ve generally gone for as the show has gotten older. "

Wow. I'm offended FOR Shoshana. Shoshana sings circles around Hannah, with breath to spare.

I think you're conf

May 22 2019, 04:02:50 PM

A Little Night Music
 May 21 2019, 06:54:00 PM
There are several in Shrek:

"...called me a hot and tranny mess" from "Story of my Life"

The Scientologist line from "Freak Flag."

That said, I love that show.

May 21 2019, 11:52:49 AM

Current Wicked Tour cast
 May 27 2013, 05:12:45 PM
Alison Luff is fantastic as Elphaba. Her voice is incredible. If you're lucky enough to see both her and Jenn Gambatese, you will not be disappointed. It is the most exciting Wicked cast in a while, plus Curt Hansen is Fiyero and he looks great in those pants.
Trying to explain music from Broadway
 Apr 28 2013, 05:49:42 PM
Speaking of pop music, if anyone wants the perfect combo of pop and theatrics, they need to check out Janelle Monae's EP, Metropolis: The Chase Suite, and her LP, The ArchAndroid. Her suites create a Romeo and Juliet-esque love story and could be a great musical if anyone ventured to produce it.
Catch Me if You Can ; LA tour
 Mar 16 2013, 11:44:26 PM
Stephen Anthony is a good Frank Abagnale, Jr. I thought his version of "Goodbye" was thrilling, and the only reason this tour is bearable is because his voice is damn near flawless.

My problem with the show, or perhaps just this tour, is the lack of commitment to the big band, television show aspect. It's an unnecessary concept. Plus, they focus entirely too much on his upbringing without saying much. Is that why Frank, Jr. becomes a con artist? It's hinted at, but that aspect of the d

Amanda Seyfried Eyes Role in Broadway's Wicked
 Mar 5 2013, 02:02:29 PM
Spork, don't worry, I will be joining you with your meltdown if Seyfried is cast in this project. Her voice is thin and unsupported, not well placed and her "vibrato" is grating. If they're seriously considering women who cannot sing for either Elphaba or Glinda, I will stage a protest in front of Universal.
Lilli Cooper in Wicked
 Feb 17 2013, 06:34:15 PM
I would love to hear her sing this score! I hope she gets the chance to go on once she's settled in.
Shoshana Bean - O'Farrell Street
 Feb 17 2013, 06:32:16 PM
It's fantastic! I love that she writes her own music, too. There are far too many EPs and LPs from theater folk filled with uninspired show-tune covers so this is a breath of fresh air.

Anyone going to her release concert on Wednesday, Feb. 20th?

Breaking News: SCANDALOUS Cancels Today's Matinee; Carolee Carmello on 'Brief' Vocal Rest
 Nov 15 2012, 02:22:10 PM
Alison Luff is Carolee's understudy? I'd see that--her voice is phenomenal.

Luff sang an awful song Kathie Lee wrote on the Today Show, but it was worth listening to just to hear her voice.

The real NYADA?
 Sep 25 2012, 01:28:39 PM
NYADA honestly sounds like the name of the American Academy of Drama Arts (AADA) found in L.A. with the curriculum of AMDA.

Having audited AMDA, I wouldn't be surprised if Murphy went to AMDA, saw what they did and just made it bitchy.

To the OP: stay far away from AMDA. Look into University of Cincinatti's CCM, Penn State or U of M for BFAs. If you want the prestige of a good school and will take a BA, UCLA has an incredible theater program. A lot of alumni tend to end up in

Who teaches Broadway stars to sing songs?
 Sep 10 2012, 08:17:44 PM
This is a ridiculous question. Period.

A good vocal technique teacher (don't get this confused with coach) will teach a singer technique, such as bel canto, SLS, etc. A good teacher will teach placement, vowel manipulation, breath support, etc.

A vocal coach will help with how a song is sung, not necessarily general technique. Technique teachers usually double as a vocal coach.

However, the interpretation of how to ACT a song boils down to an actor, their acting choice

BROADWAY HOTTIES
 Sep 4 2012, 08:09:37 PM
JAY ARMSTRONG JOHNSON. And scene.
Eden Espinosa as Evita?
 Sep 4 2012, 08:07:59 PM
For the record, I think she'd be fabulous if she got her placement under control: I feel like that's everyone's main gripe.
Eden Espinosa as Evita?
 Sep 4 2012, 12:00:43 AM
Jimmy, LuPone most definitely used to shout her way through Evita. Watch her Tony performances of anything Evita related: her trick is to graze the note, and then slide down from it. Espinosa actually has a G5 in her bag of vocal tricks.

And Catalano, don't you start again. Your comments, though entertaining, are disparaging and rude.

Leave Celebrities Alone at Shows
 Sep 1 2012, 10:33:32 PM
Someone I'm a huge fan of once tweeted to tell me they were going to say hello to me after a concert in L.A. Long story short, they never showed up. Needless to say, I was heartbroken.
Eden Espinosa as Evita?
 Sep 1 2012, 10:31:22 PM
I'd only like to see this if Espinosa received some serious vocal training in the mean time. She has a gorgeous voice, but lately she's sounding extra shrill and tends to go flat. She needs to work to make her bridge more fluid and less throaty.

And at the risk of aging myself, I'd really love to hear Shoshana Bean in this role. Her mix is outstanding.

Ethel Merman/Ethel Waters
 Aug 27 2012, 09:08:36 PM
Waters is holy territory, if you will, for a lot of African Americans. She was the first African American woman to do a lot of things, like star in a television show and have star billing next to white people in a Broadway show.

It's also interesting that this idea of a "butch" Ethel Merman didn't also extend to Waters: the two women both took the reigns of their careers in their later years and expected a hell of a lot from people they worked with, a characteristic often associated wi

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You