News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for WheelsofaDream

WheelsofaDream Profile Photo
Member Name: WheelsofaDream
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

re: Popular shows you have yet to see.
 Aug 23 2006, 11:06:06 AM
I've never seen The Phantom of the Opera and plan to keep it that way. I've heard a lot of the music and I don't like it.

I've never seen Spamalot either. This season, I also missed shows like The Wedding Singer, The Drowsy Chaperone, and Tarzan.

re: chyenne as birdie?
 Aug 22 2006, 10:51:37 AM
Now this is actually a really good idea, although I doubt he'd ever do it for two reasons. The first being that a lot of people have a negative association with Bye Bye Birdie from seeing one too many amateur community productions. The second is that Birdie is a rather similar role to his starring vehicle in All Shook Up.

But we can all dream...

re: Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 8/20/2006
 Aug 21 2006, 08:23:46 PM
I am also very concerned for Inishmore. I can't imagine the operating costs are that high aside from the massive gallons of stage blood they must purchase every week, but I really don't understand how it's still around with such low numbers.

It's a shame, though, because I think the show is one of the few things on Broadway that really would appeal to a non-traditional theatergoer.

And it looks like I should make The Wedding Singer a top priority when I return to NYC next week.

re: Anything Else Closing September 3rd?
 Aug 18 2006, 12:47:31 AM
Mother Courage is closing that day as well. And Everythings Turning into Beautiful closes the day before (The New Group doesn't do Sunday shows). It's definitely a liquidation weekend.
re: The most recent stage show tune to make the top 40?
 Aug 15 2006, 02:38:09 PM
That strangely appealing techno dance version of "Easy As Life" by Deborah Cox did pretty well on the dance charts a couple of years ago. I highly doubt it ever made it anywhere near the top 40 though.
re: NYMF Ticket Trouble. Help?
 Aug 15 2006, 02:36:29 PM
I think there's a bunch of great looking stuff this year. My problem is that many of the shows don't have music posted on the website, or lack other supporting press materials. This means that they may have a really cool concept, but will probably end up not being very good. I only put tickets on hold for the ones I could listen to and get the full picture on. I don't want to spend $20 on a gimmick.
re: Will Makar from Idol...Where do YOU see Him?
 Aug 11 2006, 05:03:48 PM
I see him walking to work every day through Shubert Alley...

To work in that little gift shop between the Shubert and the Booth.

Hehe. :)

re: NYMF Parties - What Are They Like?
 Aug 9 2006, 02:03:03 PM
For anyone asking questions, I recommend calling them. They were very nice on the phone today when I called with a bunch of questions.
NYMF Parties - What Are They Like?
 Aug 8 2006, 11:04:40 PM
Received a very generous birthday gift from a large group of friends yesterday. They got me a gold membership to the New York Musical Theatre Festival, which includes 4 free tickets to anything I want. Excitement.

Anyway, the website also says that my membership level includes access to opening and closing festival parties, in addition to other events throughout the festival at New World. Has anyone been to these events? What are they like? I didn't find much information from Google.
Is hurting your voice now a requirement for winning Best Actor/Actress in a Musical?
 Aug 7 2006, 04:06:55 AM
Amid reports of LaChanze's alleged negligence following her win for The Color Purple this year, and another thread a few days old about John Lloyd Young being pulled out of Jersey Boys midway through the show, I think it's time to ask ourselves:

Is hurting your voice now a requirement for winning the Best Actor/Actress in a Musical Tony?

It seems that too many actors are dangerously performing roles 8 times a week that could hurt their voices. Just look at last year's winners.

re: Behind the Emerald Curtain Tickets?
 Jul 30 2006, 02:22:11 PM
Yeah. $25 seems kind of expensive to me. Does the money go to the show or to charity? It just seems like you don't get to do that much.
re: Ces Soirees-La - how does it fit into the show?
 Jul 28 2006, 02:30:44 PM
Like people say, it's at the beginning. When I saw Jersey Boys people were taken aback by it. This was before all the massive hype and awards were put on it, back in late November. You could tell people thought they'd just walked into the wrong musical.
re: 'Second Act Trouble' - Steven Suskin
 Jul 26 2006, 08:48:07 PM
Just finished this book. I liked it a lot. I think the idea of using hopeful journalism pieces from the time period before the show actually opened (in most cases) was really effective. Then when the sad crushing reality of failure came down you had a better understanding why.

I think the book shows a deep respect for these musicals. As for the grammar issues, the huge majority of the ones I noticed occurred within the period articles themselves. I wonder if they were kept in because th

re: Barrett Foa's official first Day in the Bee
 Jul 25 2006, 03:18:01 PM
Barrett being a new replacement in the show is enough to make me go again. Are there any pictures of him in the show yet on another thread?

Also, does the bee have any adult humor nights planned in the next couple of months? I couldn't find any information about them on the show's website.

re: Elaine Stritch to return to B'way
 Jul 25 2006, 03:16:52 PM
I am SO there and SO excited. The only time I've seen her in person was during the big Public Sings benefit back in January, and that was from the way back of the City Center. What a great opportunity!
re: Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 7/23/2006
 Jul 24 2006, 07:56:08 PM
I wasn't in love with Sweeney like a lot of people, but I still enjoyed it for what it was. That said, the last thing I would ever want to do during the ridiculously hot summer months is go inside and see some dark depressing show that commands full attention. I need something light and diverting, no matter how much talent is on the stage.
will anyone be able to replace sara ramirez?
 Jul 24 2006, 03:28:37 PM
I remember a while back on another thread people wanted Orfeh to become the Lady of the Lake. I think this is an excellent and inspired choice. She'd be perfect for it.
re: Goodbye Hot Feet
 Jul 24 2006, 03:27:42 PM
I thought Hot Feet was enjoyably goofy. The worst show of the season by far was Lestat. It was so God awful I felt like I was trapped inside the theatre. I had similar feelings at The Threepenny Opera and Festen. I don't mind shows not being great if they're fun like this one, or like In My Life.
re: Hot Feet is (As Expected) Closing Sunday
 Jul 18 2006, 01:32:25 PM
Doing a cast album seems strange. I mean, come on, it's a dance musical where most of the songs sound just like the original versions. I don't think any of the new songs White wrote are the attraction here, nor are they particularly well sung.

I did enjoy the dancing when I saw it, but great movement is just no excuse for a terrible script and poor storytelling.

re: Most overwhelming audience reaction?
 Jul 3 2006, 01:48:43 AM
Without a doubt when I saw Jersey Boys early into the run before the hype started to build up. The first time JLY hit that high note the theatre went wild. By the end of "Sherry", I thought the audience would become so excited that they'd tear the theatre down. Similar reactions occurred two or three other times during the show. You could tell the actors just didn't know how to respond.
You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You