News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for karen24

karen24 Profile Photo
Member Name: karen24
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway  Jun 5 2023, 07:59:18 PM

I saw this at the matinee yesterday and it seemed like everyone was in, including Ruthie! I thought it was really well done. I saw the Doyle production and I have to say, hearing the full orchestra, and seeing the full cast, was great. The Doyle production was interesting, but I liked this better.

The theater was absolutely packed and the audience was well behaved, although I haven’t seen so many people a) being seated late and b) getting up in the middle of the show in a lon

Museum of Broadway  Mar 6 2023, 02:30:53 PM

Just wanted to add my two cents to this thread. I went here this past Saturday before seeing "Some Like it Hot." I wasn't sure what to expect given the mixed reviews here, but I honestly was impressed. I spent two full hours there and could have spent longer, but I had to get to dinner and was also getting tired! I felt there was a lot to see and to read. In contrast to some comments above, I actually was amazed at all of the historical objects they had. Maybe people define "historical objects" differently but it seemed like there was something everywhere I looked, even in the gift shop! The museum is set up chronologically and in the very first room they had a cigar box from "The Black Crook," one of the earliest musicals to be performed (1866). You can't get much more historic than that. 

There were a few things which I found less than ideal, although they didn't ruin the experience for me:

1) There is SO MUCH text on the walls in almost every room. Had I stood there and read every word, I think I would have been there for six hours. Most people just glanced at this and walked on. I thought these parts were interesting, but it was just too much. 

2) There's music playing in every room and the sound often bleeds from one room to another. Maybe younger people (I'm 63) don't even notice this, but I found it distracting.

3) There are not enough places to sit down! (Again, I'm 63)

4) There's so much to see that by the time I got down to the lowest level (you start at the top and walk down - there is an elevator for those who need it), which is devoted to "the making of a Broadway show," I was too tired to do it justice. It's a lot to absorb. I'm glad they have this section but I would really have to go back and start there (which doesn't really seem cost-effective) to get the most out of it. 

My favorite room was the one for "Rent" - if you go, take a look at the wall of flyers and reproductions of some of Larsen's notes. There's the famous one (I believe the original is in the Library of Congress) where he worked out how many minutes are in a year Even though it's a reproduction, it still gave me goosebumps. They also have original costumes from the production (Mark, Angel, Roger and Mimi).  I'm pretty sure I saw them once at the Museum of the City of NY, but it was fun to see them again. I also thought the staff were very cheerful and helpful. Oh, if you have a coat and/or shopping bags you can leave them in lockers in the lower level (not mandatory). They wouldn't be big enough for a suitcase, though. 

I was kind of grumbling about the cost before going, but given all there is to see, and the fact that some of it goes to Broadway Cares, I felt it was worth it. I just think if I want to go again, I'm going to wait for a discount, since I'd only be trying to see certain sections that I skimmed over the first time. 

KPOP Reviews  Dec 3 2022, 05:20:41 PM

Here’s a gift link to Green’s review:

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/11/27/theater/kpop-review-broadway.html?unlocked_article_code=L3oK1D3UDdfcI_zBQxWdTESQ9nguXukaWg27GbmzIUGdZu6rZ5zyo-dLk8hJt8lRtSSpzftK9RLQDYxLtl1rt791i6xXxEwdbKktvkOpGtC_yq16aS85nLeVeub5EzNDC7OXc-_KHK-xq_l7HSK8GnEHPtE2UbG0fxNnf5a8XOeIZh3DHB1da0sQPbkWPrzlApAFJRNp7a24ODG3LwM1jZRqBPsvzwSRIJzzTEDlUI5BoFpfWpe8OvKenAIirAT-Z1WdRa1iQFsyph0j22sRBwc6JrHGnp6xLkXD1gTCNIVH54Bqyb5FTPN5QxnG97i3ujHcQl3ESuNzvRcuZg&smid=share-url

1776's Sara Porkalob Brutally Honest Vulture Article  Oct 15 2022, 02:49:06 PM

Her comment about the show being a “dusty old thing” made me think that she really doesn’t understand it at all. And if that was the message being communicated by the creative team, no wonder their concept had so many problems. 

Funny Girl closing date?  Oct 1 2022, 12:47:11 PM

My friend & I just got tickets to see Funny Girl on March 3rd. We got them from SeatGeek, but my friend was on this Web site called NYTix for some reason, and saw that it lists a “closing date” of March 26th, 2023. I hadn’t seen a closing date announced & can’t see this confirmed anywhere else. Does anyone know? Is this just a random date this site threw in there? 
https://www.nytix.com/shows/funny-girl

Selling Funny Girl tickets - need advice  Jun 24 2022, 08:04:08 PM

Hi,

I have two tickets for Funny Girl for Tuesday, 7/5, at 7 pm. They’re Orchestra, Row H, 107 & 108 & I paid about $250 each. My friend now can’t go & there are other shows I’d rather see more. 
StubHub says tickets like these typically sell for between $500 - $1000. That seems unlikely to me. Just wondering if anyone has any advice as to a) what would be a reasonable price to set & b) the process of selling a SeatGeek ticket on StubHub. ((I

Hilton Garden Inn Times Square?  May 12 2022, 06:07:09 PM

Thanks everyone! Really appreciate the feedback. Have booked & am looking forward to it. 

Hilton Garden Inn Times Square?  May 11 2022, 01:12:06 PM

Yes, that’s the one, thanks!

Hilton Garden Inn Times Square?  May 11 2022, 12:56:56 PM

Hi,

I’m coming to NYC July 4th weekend from upstate, & am seeing several shows, so thought I’d like to stay near Times Square for a change. I was looking at this hotel & the rates for that week are pretty low - too low? $211 a night. Has anyone stayed here recently? ( I’m a 62 year old woman & will be on my own, so I’m basically looking for someplace safe and clean.) I don’t mind walking a bit to get to the hotel after shows, but would ra

Anyone else rewatching Glee?  Jun 26 2020, 10:11:26 PM
I’ve thought about it, but I honestly cannot do it after knowing what I know now about some of the stars, particularly Mark Salling. It’s too bad, because there were parts of it that I really enjoyed, but even watching it the first time, there were aspects of it that were just painful (Rachel’s time on Broadway being a prime example.)

I might go back and watch certain favorite episodes some time, but I could never do a complete rewatch.

WHEN WILL THEY ANNOUNCE  Apr 14 2020, 01:53:42 PM
Sadly, even if the theaters reopen before then, I probably won’t go back until there’s a vaccine. I’m immunosuppressed and older and I just can’t risk it.

I don’t have any tickets pending except Music Man for a year from now, so that might be the first show I see! Fingers crossed. I’m assuming my annual trip to Stratford ON with my son won’t be happening. Their season does run into the fall but I’m not optimistic.

What’s the last show you saw on Broadway before its closing?  Mar 18 2020, 03:32:17 PM

Moulin Rouge! on January 30th. I’m so glad I got to see it.I live upstate, so I think that’s it for a while. I have tickets to see the tour of The Band’s Visit in Buffalo next month, but suspect it’ll be canceled, & I probably wouldn’t go anyway (suppressed immune system, very large theater.) 

Joe Allen Question  Sep 20 2019, 01:47:22 PM
I was there on 9/12 and they were still using the limited menu, but fortunately the roast chicken is still available (my favorite). No vegetables except salads, though. I hope they get back to their full menu soon but they seem to be doing fine. I love that place.
Postdating at Tootsie  Sep 14 2019, 05:25:13 PM
I was in NYC for a theater week last week. Unfortunately I got sick suddenly on Monday and couldnt go to Tootsie, Was wondering if they might seat me same-day if I go to the box office when I get back to the city (probably wont be for a month or two.)

My friend went on her own, and both tickets were on my phone, so Im not sure which one she used.

Fortunately, I recovered & was able to get to Book of Mormon, Come from Away, Harry Potter & Hadestown

Monday performances (specifically Tootsie)  Sep 2 2019, 01:39:51 PM
Oh yes, I know this. I just wasn’t sure if Mondays were different but I guess that was sort of a silly question. I’m sure the cast will be there if they can, & if not we’re sure to see some good understudies. I’ve seen many in my time!
Monday performances (specifically Tootsie)  Sep 2 2019, 01:33:09 PM

Thanks! Well, that’s certainly a good reason to take time off How exciting for them!

Edited to add: just saw that the cast, & David Yazbek, are scheduled to sign CDs & perform at Barnes & Noble on 86th St on 9/10 at 4:00. I’m going to try to get there - my friend is from Omaha & she says that kind of thing does not happen there! 

Monday performances (specifically Tootsie)  Sep 2 2019, 01:11:11 PM

I saw Tootsie recently & really liked it. I’m coming back to the city next week with a friend who wants to see it, & I realized they perform on Mondays (we have tickets for shows for all the other nights.) I picked up two tickets via the Broadway Week 2 for 1 offer (I did the $30 upgrade so they're in center orchestra for $105.)

I was just wondering -I know there are no guarantees - but has the original cast generally been performing on Mondays? I see they&#3

Original stars who could never be replaced  Mar 30 2019, 05:43:35 PM

I’m surprised no one has mentioned Robert Preston in The Music Man or Rex Harrison in My Fair Lady or Yul Brynner in The King & I. Of course, the original Broadway runs were long ago & maybe not many people here saw them. I didn’t. But we do have the movie performances. 

I’ve seen quite a few Music Man revivals with good Harold Hills, but never one who quite had what Preston had.

Up until I saw the current revival I would have said the sa

Photos inside the Times Square Theater  Feb 22 2019, 12:33:23 PM

https://untappedcities.com/2019/02/22/photos-inside-the-long-abandoned-times-square-theater-as-it-begins-100-million-redevelopment/Hi, I thought some of you might be interested in this story from Untapped Cities. It’s a bit hard to see much in the photos around all the scaffolding, but some details are visible. Anyone planning to go on the tour? I hope their plans work out this time. It sounds like they’re trying to be sensitive to the history of the theater and preserve as much as they can. 

Can an 11 year old see the show Hamilton alone?  Jan 14 2019, 03:54:51 PM

I took both my boys to their first Broadway shows when they were 10 (we'd seen some regional productions before that.) I have to say that it was a really great experience to have with them. I'm not concerned about your daughter's safety, but I think it would be much more relaxing for her to be there with you - no worries in the back of her mind about anyone behaving inappropriately, being able to discuss it with you at intermission and right after, etc. And on a practical note, wh

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You