News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for CurtisTaylorJr2

CurtisTaylorJr2 Profile Photo
Member Name: CurtisTaylorJr2
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

The Wiz returning to Bway in 2023 after National Tour  Mar 1 2024, 04:09:33 PM

Thanks for the reviews to everyone who has given them. It saves me from taking two buses and a train to the Pantages and the price of admission. If it's a mess then I'm not wasting my money on it.

Donny Osmond returning to JOSEPH  Feb 21 2024, 04:15:25 PM

Why? Money. He's one of those people who is always going to stay booked doing something.

NY City Center Encores 2024 season: ONCE UPON A MATTRESS with Sutton Foster (adapted by Amy Sherman-Palladino), JELLY'S LAST JAM, and TITANIC  Feb 16 2024, 11:51:56 PM

When the clip came up on YouTube and I saw Billy Porter I was like "oh no" because I thought he was directing, but thankfully he's a player in the production.

How much does a minimal set affect your ability to follow along with a show's storyline?  Feb 16 2024, 04:34:11 PM

This is something that I started thinking about last night after I attended a small touring show called North The Musical that has a very minimal set up. During intermission I heard someone saying it was hard to follow the story with just one set (their words not mine). I didn't have any trouble following along and never have had an issue comprehending a show with a minimalist set up, but I wanted to see some other opinions on this.

Wicked Movie Musical Teaser  Feb 13 2024, 08:13:29 PM

TBFL said: "CurtisTaylorJr2 said: "OhHiii said: "CurtisTaylorJr2 said: "Call it a difference of opinion, but from my point of view it was giving when a church soloist messes up a high note and tries to growl through it. I listened to Rachel Tucker while there was a growl there it was much cleaner."

Vocal pedagogy isn't a matter of opinion, btw.
"

Whatever you want to speculate, it did not sound good and I'm n

Wicked Movie Musical Teaser  Feb 12 2024, 08:37:28 PM

OhHiii said: "CurtisTaylorJr2 said: "Call it a difference of opinion, but from my point of view it was giving when a church soloist messes up a high note and tries to growl through it. I listened to Rachel Tucker while there was a growl there it was much cleaner."

Vocal pedagogy isn't a matter of opinion, btw.
"

Whatever you want to speculate, it did not sound good and I'm not alone in thinking that. If it was a vocal choice i

Wicked Movie Musical Teaser  Feb 12 2024, 03:26:11 PM

KitKatBoy24 said: "CurtisTaylorJr2 said: "I know about singers adding grit intentionally but that did not sound intentional it sounded straining to reach a note or trying to growl into it. That riff should be clean."

It’s definitely not strained. It was absolutely intentional. Why would they use a clip of her straining to hit a note? It sounds great. I also disagree that that riff has to be clean. Elphaba is PISSED. That riff is literally called El

Wicked Movie Musical Teaser  Feb 12 2024, 01:15:17 PM

I know about singers adding grit intentionally but that did not sound intentional it sounded straining to reach a note or trying to growl into it. That riff should be clean.

Wicked Movie Musical Teaser  Feb 11 2024, 11:45:35 PM

Owen22 said: "Oh my God, the over-critical bitchiness in this thread! It's a trailer for god's sake. That looks wonderful IMO.

You people are why we can't have nice things.
"

Just speaking for myself I wasn't trying to be overly critical, I just felt that Erivo didn't sound good doing that riff on what is the most iconic song of the musical. Other than that I won't judge the movie until I see it.

Wicked Movie Musical Teaser  Feb 11 2024, 11:21:37 PM

The strain on that Defying Gravity riff was painful.

Billie Eilish wants to write a musical  Feb 6 2024, 04:08:05 PM

I agree that musical theatre writers are not writing material that is all that great. There's not much new material that I enjoy. Chord structures and styles seem to be so repetitive.

Billie Eilish wants to write a musical  Feb 6 2024, 11:20:02 AM

I'm not 100% opposed to a pop artist writing a musical. I just feel that sometimes pop singers don't build songs for the stories and it comes off a bit like a jukebox musical where story is often messily built for the song. Of course that can often be the fault of whoever wrote the book and the lack of a good collaborative process. We've seen plenty of musicals by pop artists that completely missed the mark.

Billie Eilish wants to write a musical  Feb 6 2024, 12:41:55 AM

Quinn Wilson said: "CurtisTaylorJr2 said: "It would sell tickets based on her fan base showing up, but that doesn't necessarily mean it would be good. A bunch of bland, moody songs from people who most likely would think they could sweep in and become better than Rodgers and Hammerstein are not my idea of a good time. Her and her brother give me pretentious writer vibes."

She’s a great writer, and her and her brother create great sounds togethe

Fantasia was Robbed!  Feb 5 2024, 11:13:52 PM

The Academy Awards are worthless and most certainly not a validation of good performances. Fantasia is a singer first and hasn't done much in the way of acting yet she managed to turn in a good performance that captured the character out of the book. The fact that someone who hasn't done much acting good pull off the dinner scene so well was impressive itself.

Billie Eilish wants to write a musical  Feb 5 2024, 11:00:28 PM

It would sell tickets based on her fan base showing up, but that doesn't necessarily mean it would be good. A bunch of bland, moody songs from people who most likely would think they could sweep in and become better than Rodgers and Hammerstein are not my idea of a good time. Her and her brother give me pretentious writer vibes.

COLOR PURPLE movie musical currently in development  Dec 28 2023, 07:33:53 PM

I just got back from seeing it with family and I loved it. I appreciated that the director didn't totally water down the musical numbers and didn't overdo them either. The way that he worked the old Broadway and Hollywood musical glamour into What About Love? was brilliant and I didn't expect that. Despite the dinner scene being written almost exactly the same as the film it was played totally different and Fantasia was amazing playing out Celie's burst of fury. With so many m

The Wiz returning to Bway in 2023 after National Tour  Nov 1 2023, 01:46:17 PM

I was underwhelmed the performance of "Ease On Down The Road" on the Tamron Hall Show. I was still considering going when it comes to the Pantages, but after reading this thread I'm not sure it's worth that money. This is not the sort of show that should be done cheaply for a major tour and Broadway revival.

John Legend as Jesus for NBC's Superstar Live  Dec 20 2017, 08:50:07 PM

He doesn't have the range for that score, but the casting was more about name than anything else. I imagine the score will be tinkered with the way Evita's was to make it work for Madonna.

Lin-Manuel Miranda Will Star in HAMILTON in Puerto Rico in 2019  Nov 8 2017, 10:56:34 PM

People from the mainland buying tickets is going to come along with hotel bookings and other tourism related expenses. It makes good economic sense.

Victor / Victoria; Julie, Liza and Raquel  Nov 2 2017, 01:13:49 AM

BrodyFosse123 said: "There is a video of Minnelli doing Le Jazz Hot on YouTube and it's pretty painful. She was singing the rhythm of the melody, but not even attempting to do it on pitch. Just an observation from seeing that video which might have just been a bad night.

Please read the thread before posting. I already posted and included links to all thevideos on YouTube of the various actresses who haveappeared in VICTOR/VICTORIA - yes, includingLiza Minnell

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You