News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for JohnBoy2

JohnBoy2 Profile Photo
Member Name: JohnBoy2
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

MY FAIR LADY Revival Back On For Next Spring?  Jun 16 2017, 09:10:34 PM

Naturally.  I've been going to the theater since the 1950s.  I saw the original London production of MY FAIR LADY, in fact.

MY FAIR LADY Revival Back On For Next Spring?  Jun 16 2017, 08:43:54 PM

I have zero interest in this.  They will cast some star, inappropriately, and try to change it to make it "more appealing" to modern audiences or some such garbage.  Now, if they were to bring the Julie Andrews' helmed production taking Australia by storm, then we could dispense with stars (because Julie as director would be star power enough), and we'd get the definitive original staging, costumes, orchestrations and choreography.  THAT would get my ass in a

Hello Dolly (Question Mark)  May 9 2017, 09:46:40 PM

Don't go.  Give your tickets to someone else.

First listen HELLO, DOLLY!  May 8 2017, 05:24:47 PM

Rather underwhelming, when compared to the Original Cast Recording, which is so full-bodied in its orchestrations. 

Has a Musical Adaptation of a Film Ever Made an Improvement?  Jun 2 2014, 01:38:22 PM
For me, THE SOUND OF MUSIC (greatly improved), WEST SIDE STORY, THE MIRACLE WORKER and BYE BYE BIRDIE (as silly as the film is, it remains the most vibrant and best-choreographed production of it, I've ever seen, and that includes the original production). As for HAIRSPRAY, neither the stage nor the film version of the musical holds a candle to John Waters original film, imo. But, as a musical, I prefer it, on stage.
Daniel Radcliffe returning to Broadway!  Jan 17 2014, 08:38:29 AM
I thought he worked very hard in HOW TO SUCCEED..., but was, ultimately, let down by a director who over-choreographed and under-directed the show.
Question about Audrey Hepburn in My Fair Lady.  Dec 16 2013, 11:00:03 PM
Julie Andrews received no criticism for her cockney Eliza. Audrey Hepburn did. Julie received universal raves for her Eliza.

Julie Andrews was offered director and cast approval from Jack Warner to appear in CAMELOT, against Logan's wishes. Logan did not want her, but she could have had him replaced. When Burton declined, she had no interest in doing the role.

Finally, the shooting schedule for POPPINS was such that all of the principal photography was completed, prior

SOM nsg  Dec 6 2013, 03:29:44 PM
I thought Audra's take on "Dixit Dominus" was horrendous. She was belting it out like she was doing GYPSY. It's a figgin' chant. Then all that great harmony when the nun's join was ruined by her (or the sound technician's) inability to blend. She also shouted her lines, along with most everyone else (Max and Elsa, excepted). Like no one told them they were on TV. It had expert technical direction, but the dramatic direction was abysmal. The art of the build is a lost art. Everyone comes
What musical should Meron and Zadan do next?  Dec 6 2013, 03:00:19 PM
The mention of Cyrus for PETER PAN kind of made me ill. I'd be skipping that, for sure. No doubt it would be a rating's winner.
SOM nsg  Dec 6 2013, 02:55:29 PM
I'm surprised that a country singer is getting so much flack for her acting, when an actor playing the Captain was the worst thing in it, and he's NOT a country singer! The production is (was) completely forgettable. Hope there are more live-event musicals, though. One's that don't already have a definitive version would be nice.
What musical should Meron and Zadan do next?  Dec 6 2013, 02:48:26 PM
WEST SIDE STORY also has the issue of being a superb, film. Anything they do will pale by comparison, much like TSOM did,last night. It's fine to say it's not a remake of the move,but to people who only know the movie, yes, it is! As for PETER PAN, that's been done for television, repeatedly. Cathy Rigby's version is readily available on DVD.
What musical should Meron and Zadan do next?  Dec 6 2013, 12:58:55 PM
Big ratings doesn't mean peopled liked it. DVD sales will be more proof of that. Still, I'm glad it was a big hit (although I had tons of issues with it). I would love for them to do MY FAIR LADY, exactly as I saw it at Drury Lane in August 1959. The film didn't even come close. My most wanted since 1964. A definitive MFL.
Carrie Underwood to Star in NBC's Live Broadcast of THE SOUND OF MUSIC  Dec 5 2013, 10:04:32 AM
The Lincoln Center shows aren't the same things, as they are broadcasts of stage plays. CINDERELLA was the last time a musical produced for television was presented live.
Harvey Evans Love Thread  Dec 5 2013, 09:09:05 AM
I just recently watched him in EXPERIMENT IN TERROR on Blu-ray.
Carrie Underwood to Star in NBC's Live Broadcast of THE SOUND OF MUSIC  Dec 5 2013, 09:02:03 AM
cannot stop listening to The Lonely Goatherd, and that's not typically a track I listen to on any of the previous SOM recordings, but there's something that she does with the song that is so charming that I cannot help but hitting REPEAT SONG on my iPad. Girl has got some gorgeous pipes on her!

Really? That's my favorite number from the film. I know Julie's not really yodeling, but that's what's so great about it, to me. She hits every one of those notes so strongly and secur

Carrie Underwood to Star in NBC's Live Broadcast of THE SOUND OF MUSIC  Dec 5 2013, 08:49:57 AM
CINDERELLA with Julie Andrews in 1957
West Side Story - Sequence of Events in Film vs. Stage Version  May 19 2013, 01:43:29 PM
Lehman's finest adaptation, THE SOUND OF MUSIC garnered no Oscar nomination for him. Proving, once again, the "academy" really hasn't got a clue.
Protestors outside of The Testament Of Mary  Mar 27 2013, 10:09:54 AM
What's wrong with protesting?
Hello Dolly Tour - Sally Struthers  Mar 21 2013, 12:36:09 AM
I went to see a production of HELLO, DOLLY! with Sally Struthers, because I knew other people in it. The whole way to the theater I kept moaning about her being the last person in the world I wanted to see play Dolly; but, I loved her in the role, and so did everyone else. Right now she's doing THE FULLY MONTY at that same theater, in Fredericksburg, VA.
Sondheim doesn't want Streisand to direct Gypsy?  Feb 28 2013, 07:45:08 PM
I'll take an all drag GYPSY over one starring Madonna, Gaga or Streisand.
You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You