News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for Someday

Someday Profile Photo
Member Name: Someday
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Jennifer Lopez to Star in KISS OF THE SPIDER WOMAN Film
 Dec 7 2023, 07:56:53 PM

ErmengardeStopSniveling said: There aren't many (any?) legitimate stars who could play that role well

I feel like Andrew Garfield would kill it. Maybe win an Oscar.

But, perhaps he’s uncastable, since he’s not Latino (…I think). Hmmmm. You know, with the stage version’s relative vagueness about setting, and given America’s slide toward autocracy – I might prefer a diverse, multicultural cast anyway, in a setting a bi

Cats Workshop inspired by Ballroom Scene
 Apr 11 2023, 10:22:13 PM

Jimmy, I do agree with you that Cats doesn't follow a plot structure that Aristotle or Freytag would recognize. Or even Robert McKee for that matter. But I'm using 'plot' in less formal sense, something along the lines of – 'a series of causally related events that produce meaningful change'.

I guess I'm using a variation on E.M. Forster's definition of plot:

"... We have defined a story as a narrative of events arranged in

Harry Potter Friday Forty
 Mar 26 2023, 02:41:24 PM

Have any of you had success with this in recent years? Curious if the seats are restricted-view these days, or way high up, far to the side, or otherwise less than ideal for kids.

Trying to decide whether to bite a very pricey bullet, or see if the lotto thing might work for  when I bring my little guys to town.

Side question: if you win, does the lotto tell you the seat locations before you buy?

Hoax no more? Here We Are…
 Mar 16 2023, 11:29:57 AM

The saga continues? Fool me once, and all that? Seriously, surely it must be legit this time.

Olivier-winning LIFE OF PI will have American premiere at A.R.T.
 Mar 16 2023, 11:21:36 AM

PipingHotPiccolo said: "DO NOT SEE THIS SHOW FROM THE ORCHESTRA. The coolest most impressive moments are projected onto the stage, or involve trap doors/trickery via the stage floor. There is no way the front orchestra is able to see any of this. It’s criminal."

I can confirm this, albeit second hand. For her Christmas present, I treated my wife a rare girls weekend – a break away from our young children. She chose to spend one of her two nights in New Yo

The great Charles Kimbrough has died at age 86
 Feb 9 2023, 11:42:01 AM

BCfitasafiddle said: "...Yes, He was a Dr. Pangloss in Candide. That's something I would've loved to see him do."

I was surprised to learn he had been Pangloss in the famous Harold Prince revival. And I just came across this clip, which gives a great sense of his vitality in it!

SQUARE ONE On Broadway Announcement Teased?
 Dec 16 2022, 04:59:00 PM

g.d.e.l.g.i. said: "I don't know how close to ready each was, but I do know he had at least two or three, maybe four, irons in the fire.... Consequently, I would not be surprised if Square One was a different show, or... they managed to cobble something together score-wise by cannibalizing all of the projects."

Is it possible that the property closer to production-ready is The Susquehanna River? I posted this on a different thread pre-hoax, but I came across this NYTix.com subpage (still-up), which is ostensibly about Square One. I hear that site is less than reliable. Still, some of their details are rather specific to have been invented out of whole cloth. Quoting from that page:

"In 2015, David Ives and Stephen Sondheim fell in love with films by Luis Buñuel and worked on a now-cancelled Broadway show together. That show, The Susquehanna River, was based on two films by Luis Buñuel, Belle de Jour (1967) and Tristana (1970). 

Sondheim and Ives also collaborated on Francophile which is a blend of other Luis Buñuel films The Exterminating Angel(1962) and The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie (1972), which both share a common plot-point."

Maybe if something is now actually being readied for production, it's that earlier Buñuel work — or, mostly the early work, with a few songs from the latter project, a.k.a. Square One ...a.k.a. Francophile?

I wonder if there's enough viable combined Buñuel material to mount a full-length program of one-acts, with The Susquehanna River as Act One (or as Acts One and Two?), and the newer, Exterminating Angel–based piece as a closing act. Or vice versa. Of course, this would be instead of the more recent plan to use their adaptations of Exterminating Angel as Act One and Discreet Charm (apparently unfinished) as Act Two.

This is pure speculation and may look silly in retrospect. But, for this particular topic, using existing tidbits to think through possibilities is irresistible.

Reading of New Sondheim Musical with Nathan Lane and Bernadette Peters
 Dec 14 2022, 06:13:01 PM

Have you all seen the NYTix.com subpage for Square One? It has the first mention I’ve seen of “The Susquehanna River.” Had anyone heard about that?

Quoted from that page:

Square One on Broadway Background

With Broadway legends Nathan Lane and Bernadette Peters already attached to the latest Stephen Sondheim and David Ives production Square One, Broadway interest in this show has been piqued. 

In 2015, David Ives and Stephen Sondheim fell in love with films by Luis Buñuel and worked on a now-cancelled Broadway show together, That show, The Susquehanna River, was based on two films by Luis Buñuel, Belle de Jour (1967) and Tristana (1970). 

Scathing Commentary on Bourgeoisie

Sondheim and Ives also collaborated on Francophile which is a blend of other Luis Buñuel films The Exterminating Angel(1962) and The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie (1972), which both share a common plot-point. 

This show is a scathing commentary on the bourgeoisie in Franco’s Spain. The irony is that the word "Francophile" is actually social commentary about France, not Spain at all, which underlines the duo's dark humor on the matter. The Broadway musical Square One borrows heavily from the previously shelved show and the latter development.

Franco’s Spain or New York's Hamptons?

The show is ultimately a scathing commentary on the bourgeoisie in Franco’s Spain before WWII and the excesses and inhumanity that set the course towards the Spanish Civil War. This ultimately became the training ground for Hitler's army and many blame the Spanish Civil War as being the First Battle Of WWII. 

Others see the show as a scathing attack on the modern bourgeoisie of The Hamptons, NY or Malibu, CA where excess, mediocrity and materialistic values reign supreme.

POTUS Rush Line
 Aug 8 2022, 04:07:41 PM

Do you mind sharing what your seat location was like? And did you like the show?

Jul 29 2022, 07:55:16 PM

Haha

Okay it’s not for everyone.

RIP Darius Barnes
 Jul 29 2022, 05:28:28 PM

How terrible. And what an impressive resume. Sending love to those who knew and worked with him.

Jul 29 2022, 05:22:59 PM

BWW's article on this workshop says the characters will be played not as cats, but as humans in the drag ballroom scene. I wonder if portraying the characters as humans has been done before, perhaps regionally or abroad.

I assume the uptown ball culture setting is a new concept for the show. It feels promising to me, because it's not at odds with the text. It could give audiences another point of entry into the much maligned, thin plot by way of an alternative explanation for why we're seeing a succession of cats performing numbers about themselves.

I'm a Cats apologist who defends the show against criticisms that it has no plot. Plotlessness might not be a deal-killer for me anyway, but I feel the charge is untrue. The competition for selection to the Heaviside Layer often feels unclear until the end of the show. And the lack of direct conflict bores some audience members and confuses others. But something meaningful does happen for any audience members who connect with the characters.

If you can surrender to the episodic structure, and if a production is well produced and performed, the show rewards you not just with character-driven spectacle and feeling, but with wryly observed satires of various personality types — by Literature-Nobel-Prize-winner T.S. Eliot, no less. I enjoy hearing some of Andrew Lloyd Webber's most tuneful music without any truly cringey lyrics. And when productions maintain the choreographic emphasis, the show offers a platform for talented dancers to shine brightly. I hear it was primarily regarded as a dance show before all the buzz took over.

For most Cats haters, I suspect the primary offense is the un-coolness of humans costumed and prancing about as cats. That's fair. It's certainly unnatural. But when performed with a focused intent of storytelling, the campy sensation can be overpowered by narrative craft, music, and the performers' skills.

As with any production, the artistic success of this particular workshop and any subsequent productions will depend more on execution, than on concept. For now, I'm encouraged the concept seems not just novel, but well matched to the needs of the show. By consciously reducing the overt feline uncanniness and by adding another interesting layer of narrative, this take seems positioned to give non-Cats-lovers a way in.

Fingers crossed that this works out.

ONCE UPON A ONE MORE TIME Pre-Broadway Tryout - Previews & Reviews
 Dec 10 2021, 12:10:15 PM

Thanks, Charlie. We’ll give it a go.

ONCE UPON A ONE MORE TIME Pre-Broadway Tryout - Previews & Reviews
 Dec 9 2021, 12:27:23 PM

Random question, but is anything in the show borderline inappropriate for a seven-year-old boy to see?

I’m thinking about taking my son, because he loves pop music and dancing, knows a handful of Britney songs, and would recognize all the fairy tales this is based on.

On the other hand the subtext, and sometimes actual text, of Britney’s songs can be pretty sexual. And he’s just too young for explicit stuff.

So what do you think? Is that flavor mostly de

Reading of New Sondheim Musical with Nathan Lane and Bernadette Peters
 Dec 3 2021, 02:08:35 PM

Details of this Square One reading seem to have been kept fairly close to the vest. It’s fascinating to imagine Nathan and Bernadette working on it — and under the direction of Nathan’s old castmate, Joe Montello.

Does anyone know where it was held? Or if there’s a cast list? I’d love to learn who else was involved. And, I know it’s too much to ask, but a list of song titles would be incredible if anyone has such a thing.

Rare Broadway Bootlegs
 Sep 25 2021, 04:29:40 PM

I lost the bandwidth to follow this hobby when my kids came along. But they’ve gotten a bit older now. So I have a more general question. Other than YouTube, is there a popular site for trading and sharing these days?

I recall an old website and forum called The Singing Stage, but it may have become defunct. Is there a subreddit now or some other venue? I’m very rusty, but I’d love to be pointed in the right direction (or to receive an invite, if n

Town Hall-SITPWG program
 Aug 5 2021, 09:49:30 PM
Thanks, everybody. I had not realized it was a virtual event to begin with. Does anyone recall the running time, roughly?
Town Hall-SITPWG program
 Aug 5 2021, 10:43:48 AM

I see Town Hall has announced you can now stream the video recording of this program – but only until August 12 at midnight (details here).

I’m on the fence. Has anyone already streamed this? For those who were there, do you think it’s worth viewing it in a recorded format? How were Mandy and Bernadette’s contributions? Did Mandy address his volatility during the process? Thanks.

Fish-directed MOST HAPPY IN CONCERT cast announced
 Jun 10 2021, 09:14:07 AM
I’m guessing Mary Testa will sing Tony? If so – wow, sign me up. She’s always great.
Most innovative theatre directors
 Mar 3 2021, 05:17:47 PM
John Doyle certainly had a moment. He has his detractors. But I was a sucker for his innovation of having casts double as orchestras.

Of course, he didn’t invent actors playing instruments. And the vision served some properties better than others. But at its best, it created illuminating moments and did feel innovative

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You