LATEST NEWS

Harry Potter Friday Forty

nasty_khakis
#1Harry Potter Friday Forty
Posted: 8/16/18 at 2:32pm

I was lucky enough to win tickets via TodayTix for both parts this Saturday. The email says to arrive no later than an hour before curtain to pick up the tickets.

To me, this seems a bit excessive (even though I obviously can pick them up and kill an hour elsewhere, I'd rather not). Has anyone had experience picking them up later? I don't want to assume it'll be ok and have them have resold the seats to the cancellation line or whatever.

GeorgeandDot Profile Photo
GeorgeandDot
#2Harry Potter Friday Forty
Posted: 8/16/18 at 2:34pm

This is the case with a lot of lotteries and yes, they will be released if they are not claimed at that time.

nasty_khakis
#3Harry Potter Friday Forty
Posted: 8/16/18 at 2:37pm

Thanks! I've won other lotteries through TodayTix and other sites and always been fine picking them up at 15 minutes until curtain.

I'll just get there early. Thanks!

linus84
#4Harry Potter Friday Forty
Posted: 8/16/18 at 3:07pm

Honestly, for this show, I would recommend getting there early anyway as they have a thorough security check. Also there is so much to look at in the lobby that I was glad I had extra time just to walk around.

kmissa
#5Harry Potter Friday Forty
Posted: 8/16/18 at 3:31pm

I agree, the theater is gorgeous and the line to get in is stupid long. I won lottery and was able to pick hem up earlier. Sorry if I’m reading wrong, but it’s easier to grab them and waste the hour than worry about them being sold. I remember grabbing them at noon that day. Enjoy.

Fosse76
#6Harry Potter Friday Forty
Posted: 8/16/18 at 4:08pm

I am more impressed that they are actually awarding unclaimed lottery tickets to lottery entrants, unlike Hamilton which sells them at top price to the standby line.

That said, the theater opens an hour before the start of the performance, so you can grab your tickets and get in the line. I'd rather "waste" that hour entering the theater, browsing/buying merchandise. and getting snacks in the theater than walking around Times Square.

nasty_khakis
#7Harry Potter Friday Forty
Posted: 8/16/18 at 4:11pm

Thanks for all the help.

I've seen the inside of the theatre already and have no plans to buy overpriced snacks and tshirts. I'll pick them up early then walk over to 8th/9th Ave and have a bite to eat and drink.

GG_Appropriate
#8Harry Potter Friday Forty
Posted: 8/17/18 at 9:45am

I am curious what others who have won the Friday Forty think of the seat location. I was fortunate to win and certainly am not one to complain about lottery/discounted tickets. That said, they advertise the Friday Forty as "best seats in the theatre" and it didn't seem to be the case. We were in the dress circle, Row A but all the way in the corner which led to a limited view of the right side of the stage and a railing in our way. 

To be clear, I was very fortunate to get these tickets at such a low price and certainly shouldn't be complaining. But I find it odd to advertise "best seats" and to provide partial view to winners.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#9Harry Potter Friday Forty
Posted: 8/17/18 at 10:03am

GG_Appropriate said: "But I find it odd to advertise "best seats" and to provide partial view to winners."

 

Sorry, I've heard nothing but good things about the seats.

 


If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

LxGstv
#10Harry Potter Friday Forty
Posted: 8/17/18 at 10:05am

dramamama611 said: "GG_Appropriate said: "But I find it odd to advertise "best seats" and to provide partial view to winners."



Sorry, I've heard nothing but good things about the seats.


"

Except you know, from the poster right above you...

GG_Appropriate
#11Harry Potter Friday Forty
Posted: 8/17/18 at 10:08am

So there were not my specific seats but another Friday Forty winner posted this view. Seems I'm not the only one who was in the corner behind a railing.  You end up having to strain your neck most of the show to see the show which, again, I wouldn't consider "best in the theatre."  They are certainly close to the sage, just on a strange angle and you have to be tall to see everything over the railing.

https://aviewfrommyseat.com/photo/89030/Lyric+Theatre/section-Dress+circle+left/row-A/seat-29/

mpkie
#12Harry Potter Friday Forty
Posted: 8/17/18 at 10:52am

GG_Appropriate said: "I am curious what others who have won the Friday Forty think of the seat location. I was fortunate to win and certainly am not one to complain about lottery/discounted tickets. That said, they advertise the Friday Forty as "best seats in the theatre" and it didn't seem to be the case. We were in the dress circle, Row A but all the way in the corner which led to a limited view of the right side of the stage and a railing in our way.

To be clear, I was very fortunate to get these tickets at such a low price and certainly shouldn't be complaining. But I find it odd to advertise "best seats" and to provide partial view to winners.
"

I was floored when I won these, and got seats in the same area (Row A Dress Circle all the way to the side) and I thought the view was EXCELLENT, and I can be a seat snob. I could see all the effects and facial expressions. Seats in that area sell for over $100.

 

Re: the original question, I actually didn't show up a full hour before claiming, I actually just got in line approx 45 min before, and as I found out the box office was not the same door way as the main entrance but along the way, I popped in and took me 2 min to grab my tickets and got back in line where my friend was holding the spot. Felt very efficient :) But yes the line is looong.

Go straight to the box office if you see a long line because it's probably not the line to the box office.

kmissa
#13Harry Potter Friday Forty
Posted: 8/17/18 at 10:55am

It's hard to complain with the price of lottery seats, but we missed some things seated in the front row. I think b/c the stage is a bit high? 

nasty_khakis
#14Harry Potter Friday Forty
Posted: 8/17/18 at 11:04am

One more question--

You've mentioned a very thorough security process, just how thorough? I always carry a stainless steel water bottle with me and no theatre has ever even questioned it or stopped me for it, even the Rudin shows that say no outside food or drink. 

linus84
#15Harry Potter Friday Forty
Posted: 8/17/18 at 12:01pm

You do go through a metal detector in which you have to put keys, phone, etc in a tray before you walk through. I don't think the water bottle will be a problem but I also didn't bring anything in with me.

Kendale1974
#16Harry Potter Friday Forty
Posted: 6/19/19 at 12:19pm

Has anyone shown up after the 1 hour requirement? The trains are down and we're in an Uber but we'll be 20 min late.

Someday Profile Photo
Someday
#17Harry Potter Friday Forty
Posted: 3/26/23 at 2:41pm

Have any of you had success with this in recent years? Curious if the seats are restricted-view these days, or way high up, far to the side, or otherwise less than ideal for kids.

Trying to decide whether to bite a very pricey bullet, or see if the lotto thing might work for  when I bring my little guys to town.

Side question: if you win, does the lotto tell you the seat locations before you buy?

 

Updated On: 3/26/23 at 02:41 PM

TBone Profile Photo
TBone
#18Harry Potter Friday Forty
Posted: 3/26/23 at 3:35pm

Not super recent, but when I won in January of 2022 this was the view from my seat. It was the last two seats in the row; it wasn't the worst lotto seat I've ever had, but when I was sitting all the way back in my seat, I recall there was some obstruction - mainly from the railing in front.

Harry Potter Friday Forty

yyys
#19Harry Potter Friday Forty
Posted: 3/26/23 at 5:27pm

I guess it depends on sales that day. Weekends are probably better sold than a weekday, so there is a better chance of better lotto seats during the weekday.

To answer your second question: You will find out your seat locations the day you pick them up from the box office.

 

Someday said: Have any of you had success with this in recent years? Curious if the seats are restricted-view these days, or way high up, far to the side, or otherwise less than ideal for kids.

Trying to decide whether to bite a very pricey bullet, or see if the lotto thing might work for when I bring my little guys to town.

Side question: if you win, does the lotto tell you the seat locations before you buy?


"

 

TarHeelAlan
#20Harry Potter Friday Forty
Posted: 7/28/23 at 4:35pm

Just lost the "Friday Forty" lottery, but instead won what I'll call the "Losers Forty-Nine" lottery: "A Special Offer" to buy 2 tickets for $49 each for the matinee next Saturday. Anybody have any recent experience, either with Friday Forty or Losers Forty-Nine, as to seat assignments? Lots of seats still available for the show, hoping box office would assign better vs mediocre seats.

perfectlymarvelous Profile Photo
perfectlymarvelous
#21Harry Potter Friday Forty
Posted: 7/28/23 at 8:56pm

It depends on the day, but the lottery loser seats seem to be on the sides of the orchestra and occasionally up in the dress circle (I'm an usher there so I can see where folks bought their tickets from). They're not selling top tier seats or anything, but most of the time they're a pretty good deal for the price. 

TarHeelAlan
#22Harry Potter Friday Forty
Posted: 7/29/23 at 9:18am

perfectlymarvelous said: "It depends on the day, but the lottery loser seats seem to be on the sides of the orchestra and occasionally up in the dress circle (I'm an usher there so I can see where folks bought their tickets from). They're not selling top tier seats or anything, but most of the time they're a pretty good deal for the price."

Thanks very much, good to know. I'll be sure to share our seat assignments on this thread after we've seen the show. 

EDITED TO ADD: Our "Loser Lottery" seats were N 34 & 36. Far right side aisle seats were absolutely terrific. Unfortunately the seats were the best thing about the show. But that's for another thread...

 

Updated On: 8/7/23 at 09:18 AM