News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for Mills

Member Name: Mills
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

re: You know you're a Broadway musical fan when...
 Jul 31 2006, 07:59:58 PM
When you're watching Deal Or No Deal and when Noel Edmunds (the host of the game in England) asks if a contestant is lucky you immediately start singing 'Lucky's what I am...'
re: You know you're a Broadway musical fan when...
 Jul 26 2006, 11:22:22 AM
When you're doing a music degree and you've planned next years courses based on which ones should allow you to write about musicals (I've got two 3000 word essays, and a dissertation (10,000 words) planned already)

When about 75% of the academic books you own to help with said degree are books soley on musicals (and the rest you had to buy)

People's first memory of you is singing 'The Internet is for p*rn' (or any other musical theatre song)

You quote musicals (intenti

re: _____ ruined one of my favorite shows
 Jun 18 2006, 05:57:42 PM
I'm almost positive I'm blocking out some bad memories here, but the worst I can think of atm was Jennifer Ellison (sp?) in Chicago. *shudder* That performance was saved by a stellar Velma (Kay Murphy I believe).

And as for the Rent movie, while I did enjoy it, it still bugs me that a film set in 1989 references Thelma and Louise, a movie released in 2001. It's not even something that should have been an issue, the decision on time setting completely baffles me.

re: Famous people who you saw at a broadway show
 Jun 18 2006, 02:43:56 PM
This might mean nothing to you as it's a bit UK-centric I think, but here goes,
Matt Lucas (Little Britain) saw an amateur production of Merrily We Roll Along when I did. I was just queueing up to get a ticket, just looking around, then all of a sudden I realised I was standing next to Matt Lucas. Totally unexpected, particularly as it was a small theatre, and an amateur prod.

Brian May at WWRY, but that's another work related one.

Also, points for lamest 'celebrity', I on

re: Pajama Game Should've Won Over Sweeney
 Jun 12 2006, 09:08:24 AM
I can't say which show should have won because I didn't see Pajama Game (or Sweeney Todd on Bway for that matter). However, I did see the Doyle Sweeney twice in its London run, and thought it was excellent. One of the main points I've heard against ST is that it is hard to follow for newcomers. Pretty much everyone I know that saw it didn't know anything about the show beforehand, and they all loved it. Many of them say it is now their favourite musical.

Basically, I'm not trying to sa

re: Last 10 Shows You've Seen
 May 5 2006, 08:44:12 AM
Witches of Eastwick (amateur production, Wolverhampton, UK)
Spelling Bee
Light in the Piazza
Dirty Rotten Scoundrels
Drowsy Chaperone
Rent
Assassins (Sheffield, UK)
Forum (kinda, was in the band, am prod)
Woman In White (West End)
Billy Elliot

I think that's right, with the exception of recent Bway trip I've not been going as much as I have done in previous years, need to save money! Despite this I'm going to Into the Woods in Derby next week. :)

re: Swing or Ensemble member that you love
 Jul 11 2005, 12:22:52 PM
These are London ones, so probably mean nothing to most of you, but never mind! Unfortunately I don't know what any of them are currently doing.
Odette Perdrisat - Chicago (best CBT girl I've ever seen) and Mamma Mia.
Tom Goodridge and Rachel Lynes - Bat Boy

Those three are the ensemble members that always drew my attention, whatever they were doing.

re: Caprice in 'RENT'
 Jul 3 2005, 08:28:54 PM
"she sold tickets"
But as far as I'm aware, she didn't even manage that! I know a lot of people were put off by the thought of her in a musical - and I'm not just talking about musical theatre-liking people here. She's only known for being a model, everyone assumed she wouldn't be able to act/sing and so were put off.

As far as her perfomance goes, I didn't see her, but from what I could gather she was really bad. Apparently her acting was good enough to not ruin the funeral scene c

re: Question for the posters in London...
 Jul 3 2005, 08:21:57 PM
I guess I can see your point on the music. I don't really care for a lot of the songs in Billy Elliot, but I didn't really care in this instance. I've seen both Liam and James as Billy, and really enjoyed the show both times. But the staging and choreography of the songs made it so that I didn't really care.
This from a uni music student whose first concern is usually the score.

Jul 3 2005, 04:15:40 PM
Student discount is available for most shows that aren't sold out (Ie, not Mary Poppins, Billy Elliot or Guys and Dolls def)
The prices for WE stuff usually range from £15-20, and are officially avaiable an hour before the performance, but quite often they'll sell them earlier (especially for those shows that aren't selling as well)
Best available seats are given.
The only musical I can think of that definately doesn't do student discounts, no matter how empty the house is, is Chicag

re: Worst Rhyme Ever
 Jul 3 2005, 03:10:30 PM
For bad rhymes just look at Far Pavillions (difficult for most of you, I know!) The only one I can remember was 'She's skittish, he's British' but I know there were some a lot worse than that. It's not often I actually cringe at lyrics in the theatre.

And for the record, just about everyone I know says 'Milan' with the 'an' sound. Maybe it's an English thing. Or maybe I'm just uneducated!

Jul 2 2005, 07:20:50 PM
I second Billy Elliot. It truely is a fantastic show. That show, for me, stands out above everything else currently showing (I've seen all the musicals with the exception of Guys and Dolls and Ray Charles) Also, The Big Life is good fun, I wouldn't count it as a must see, but it's definately worth considering if you've time.

Also don't feel there are any real duds at the moment (with the exception of Lion King by my personal tastes, and obv that's on Bway anyway) However, I would take m

re: Shows with a character named Billy
 Jul 1 2005, 06:28:03 PM
There is a show called Billy, yes. (I only really know because we did it at school.)
Also, Me and My Girl - Bill.
I'm sure there's more, I've noticed this before, but I've gone blank at the moment.

Wearing Someone Else's Clothes
 Jun 21 2005, 07:23:13 PM
First of all, hi, I'm 19, live in the UK, go to uni in London, love musicals.

So now that's out of the way, onto the real reason for this post, JRB's new album. Yes I have it, yes I count myself lucky, was on sale at Dress Circle today, whoo! But get over it, because I'm still waiting for my Spelling Bee cast recording :p

I have loved Jason Robert Brown's music ever since I discovered it (which I guess was about 4 years ago?) He is absolutely one of my favourite composers. Ev

re: BATBOY vocal selections?
 Jun 21 2005, 06:32:15 PM
However, I'm think they're planning to.
According to staff at Dress Circle, Lawrence O'Keefe (the composer) signed the rights over to a publisher in January.

It was said that Bat Boy, the complete vocal selection (arranged for piano, voice and guitar) will be on the shelves in approximatly 4 months, and that was mid-March, so might be released soonish.
Or it could all be lies, decide for yourself.

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You