News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for Hackasaurus_Rex

Hackasaurus_Rex Profile Photo
Member Name: Hackasaurus_Rex
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Preview of groundhog day  Jun 8 2016, 05:44:47 PM

I dig it!  It's a beautiful tune and clearly comes at the end of the show where Phil Conners has his revelation so it really doesn't have to be "funny." I suspect (or at least hope) the humor exists prior to this musical moment. I look forward to hearing more.

AMERICAN PSYCHO Previews  Mar 31 2016, 04:42:47 PM

"That's not even a remotely valid comparison.  You cannot compare an entire career worth of pop art as a signature style to the use of two pre-existing songs in one Broadway musical."

I can absolutely make that comparison and I did.  I did because it was not a comparison based on the volume of work but the choice of whether it is "lazy" to appropriate something pre-existing instead of creating it from scratch.  Whether Warhol or Sheik

AMERICAN PSYCHO Previews  Mar 31 2016, 01:22:35 PM

Bjh, I would just say that I think it is wrong to say that the choice to use pre-existing 80s songs is "lazy."   It's only lazy if you know for a fact that Duncan looked at a moment and said "I don't want to write a song for this, just throw an 80s tune in there."  It sounds like it was a conscious artistic choice so therefor it really is not lazy. Otherwise Andy Warhol is lazy.

Should a Reviewer for the NYT have some theatre background?  Mar 21 2016, 04:54:53 PM

Food is a perfect analogy.  It is making something from a collection of independant ingredients (Like a painter's paints, a writer's words, an actor's emotive abilities) and transforming those ingredients into something that transcends their original state... and in the process the result elicits feelings in the person digesting it.  That is art.  The analogy is sound.   And yes, food critics don't need to know how to prepare a meal to disect

Should a Reviewer for the NYT have some theatre background?  Mar 21 2016, 03:16:45 PM

Isherwood reviewed Disaster.

Theatres that haven't had a hit in yearsb  Mar 20 2016, 01:25:27 AM

Yeah, Mamma Mia was a bomb.  I am so glad I didn't invest in that.

Should a Reviewer for the NYT have some theatre background?  Mar 20 2016, 01:23:34 AM

good point.  I'm not sure there are any food critics who are chefs.  And I don't believe Jon Stewart ever ran for political office.  "Doing" and "disecting" are two very different skill sets, as Sunny11 said.  

And honestly, I think people who are too "inside" the business tend to have a very miopic viewpoint as to what is "good" and "bad"... just look at some of the critiques on these boa

Riedel on the spring musicals  Mar 11 2016, 10:41:38 AM

One difference between what Riedel writes and what the people on the boards write, Terrence, is that he puts his real name and face on everything he writes.  One thing I agree with Patti on is that it would be pretty awesome if these boards (and ALL chat boards in the interweb for that matter) required people to use their real names.  I do believe it would force people to take a breath and possibly be a little more thoughtful before expressing some of the things they

DISASTER! Reviews  Mar 9 2016, 03:06:25 PM

I see your point Curtains Up, and it is a well articulated one.  However, I think the "Spam" analogy is not completely correct in this instance.  This is how I personally would say a theater critic relates to a food critic...

I believe (like with food or any art or creation of any kind for that matter) a critic's role is to look at what the artist (writer, chef, etc...) are trying to accomplish and how well it serves THAT interest.  How well do they art

DISASTER(ous) Previews  Feb 12 2016, 11:11:22 AM

The Room is the ultimate "so bad it's good" movie.  It now has a Rock Horror-esque culture that has sprung from it's midnight shows.  You can't help but become obsessed.  Sounds like that is what Sondheimite was feeling?

I am confused by Tom5 post.  How are Ed Wood movies from the early 50s timely for the stage but a 70's disaster movie spoof is "late?"   

Funny male/male duets?  Jul 1 2015, 09:54:42 AM

Can't Fight This Feeling- ROCK OF AGES

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 6/21/15  Jun 23 2015, 01:00:47 PM

I am convinced PhillyPinto is the Andy Kaufman of this board and is secretly a genius here to F*$& with everyone's brains.

Its Official, Second Stage has closed on the Helen Hayes  Apr 18 2015, 06:02:52 PM

Hogan, I would say it's hard to argue that a show with multiple Tony noms, great reviews, while generating Broadway audiences long enough to be the 27th longest running show in Bway history doesn't belong on Bway. But clearly you are speaking to your own personal tastes. I feel the only thing that can dictate whether a show "should" be on Bway or not is if that Bway audience shows up and pays for the privilage. 

Its Official, Second Stage has closed on the Helen Hayes  Apr 18 2015, 04:10:58 PM

"Devonian-I did not mention the successful or semi-successful shows."

There was no more successful show in that theater than Rock Of Ages. You may not enjoy the show but it crushed it at that theater and made a lot of people really happy... including the theater owners.

HONEYMOON IN VEGAS struggling on Broadway  Feb 27 2015, 03:05:38 PM
You guys think the show should close and I'm saying it shouldn't and it won't!!!
HONEYMOON IN VEGAS struggling on Broadway  Feb 27 2015, 01:40:17 PM
would you please, please, please share your singing, acting, and dancing talents with us!?!? I would love it so much!!
HONEYMOON IN VEGAS struggling on Broadway  Feb 27 2015, 11:33:11 AM
Oh you sweet sweet sweet child. You are adorable.

HONEYMOON IN VEGAS struggling on Broadway  Feb 27 2015, 11:23:52 AM
I'm gonna try to help Philly with this because I am his (or her?) number one super fan.

Nobody is challenging (or cares) whether you are right or wrong. TRULY. We all know the show is still running because we are humans with eyes, ears, and brains. And could it run through the Tonys? I suppose. Sure! Nobody knows... not even your friends, the Producers. Example... There are a handful of shows that thought they would run for a while when Hurricane Sandy hit and that one act of God

HONEYMOON IN VEGAS struggling on Broadway  Feb 26 2015, 11:36:00 PM
Phillypinto is genius.
HONEYMOON IN VEGAS struggling on Broadway  Feb 26 2015, 10:03:50 PM
"You guys think that I'm the one producing this thing"

Nobody thinks that, Phillypinto. I promise you.

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You