News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for mordav

Member Name: mordav
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

2021 now looking bleak for potential U.S. theater reopening
 Nov 23 2020, 02:11:33 AM
Have been coming to New York from Australia once or twice a year for the past decade, mostly for the theatre, and desperately want to return. But even if the vaccines are successful (will wait for independent peer reviewed trials before I get my hopes up), we will have pretty severe international travel restrictions here for a long time. Then there is the issue of increased crime in NYC, which is in the papers here a lot (even more than stories about the growing size of the rats). New York will
LINDA VISTA Previews
 Sep 21 2019, 05:44:31 AM

This is due to close the day before I arrive in the city for my holiday. Hopefully it will extend, if only for a week. Is this likely?

Will I Make It in Time?
 Jan 1 2019, 05:49:36 PM

It is possible, on paper, and the planets all align. But Id only try it if youre the kind of person who has a Broadway ticket in your pocket and can still keep your cool when youre sitting on the tarmac and the pilot announces, “Sorry, folks, theres going to be a short delay due to technical difficulties with the jet bridge.”

Unpopular Opinions
 Dec 18 2018, 08:38:51 PM

I wasn’t blown away by The Ferryman, but have mixed feelings.

SPOILERS BELOW 

I find myself agreeing with some of the critics who were, well, critical of - Irish cliches and stereotypes, the cliched (and a little offensive) intellectually slow character who becomes uncontrollably violent, the use of a character, Maggie, as little more than a contrivance, moving in and out of being far away, just to add exposition to the plot, the lack of agency of the wo

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 12/16/18
 Dec 18 2018, 05:14:55 PM

Miles2Go2 said: "mordav said: "Not a great start for Choir Boy. But i wonder if it will be another A Doll’s House, Part 2 - a slow start, although it was well received on the boards here, and when the critic’s reviews came in, the grosses increased sharply"

But A Doll House, Part 2 was an open run, correct. Choir Boy has a closing date of February 17th so every week counts even more.
"

I could be wrong, but I think A Dol

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 12/16/18
 Dec 18 2018, 04:28:55 PM

Not a great start for Choir Boy. But i wonder if it will be another A Doll’s House, Part 2 - a slow start, although it was well received on the boards here, and when the critic’s reviews came in, the grosses increased sharply

Bernard Jacobs... bathrooms?
 Dec 15 2018, 04:11:08 PM

Before the show started, a woman sitting near me asked an usher for some details about the scene before the intermission, which he was able to give her without spoilers. She was the first out of her seat as the lights dimmed on that scene, heading for the accessible bathroom. But she was sitting on an aisle seat and so it was easy for her to get away.

P.S. In terms of planning ahead, take water with you. I took medication I’d been prescribed for the first time, and didn&

In and Of Itself: Has anyone seen it?
 Apr 23 2017, 01:26:33 AM

I saw this at the second performance and can't recommend it. The tricks with the cards were fantastic, but the overall show didn't really come together for me. It felt like a half dozen stories that didn't lead to a satisfying conclusion. 

There are also big problems with the sight lines 

Click Here To Toggle Spoiler Content
Broadway Before & After
 Jul 9 2016, 12:50:44 AM

The Full Monty Python's Spamalot

Broadway Before & After
 Jul 8 2016, 07:36:15 PM

Lucky Guys and Dolls

Long Days Journey Into Night of the Iguana

MY HAMILTON CANCELLATION LINE EXPERIENCE AND HOW WE ALL GOT F***ED OVER IN THE END
 Jun 26 2016, 11:52:10 PM

Apologies if this has already been noted. But nelly while I feel for your situation, you seem to have worked through your initial anger and achieved some catharsis and acceptance by posting here. Think of the hundreds you would have had to spend in therapy to achieve this same effect. I wish my group therapy sessions were as effective.

The importance of shutting off your cell phone in a theater
 Apr 29 2016, 09:41:04 AM

Recently saw a production at a theatre here in Melbourne which, because it was on a lower level at the Arts Centre, didn't receive a phone signal. It was a nice feeling knowing no one would be texting or tweeting or updating their Facebook status during the play.

is it too unreasonable to revisit the laws not allowing the use of devices to jam or block phone signals in places like the theatre?

Should I complain to Roundabout/AA theater, would you?
 Apr 12 2016, 05:22:27 AM

I recently made my annual pilgrimage to New York and saw 9 plays while I was there and only had an issue with anyone sitting near one time; a woman behind me at Long Day's Journey shaking her drink so the ice cubes smashed into each other. But she stopped as soon as I asked her to stop, although she was on her phone when I turned around. To be honest I thought this year behaviour was better than when I came last year.

But the thing I don't understand is why someone co

LONG DAY'S JOURNEY INTO NIGHT Previews
 Apr 7 2016, 08:07:05 AM

Petewk87 I don't think you'll miss anything 

Apr 6 2016, 01:19:58 PM

Neonlights is right. Several times the characters are by the stairs. I don't know about the mezz box seats on the left, but I was a couple of seats away from the box in the orchestra and the people in the outside box seats were leaning over a fair way. For those outsde of them the view would have been pretty bad.

To answer an earlier question about the setting. I just re read the opening description of the play, and the setting is pretty faithful to the text

A Question about Blackbird
 Apr 6 2016, 09:38:16 AM

I saw this last week and must have missed the ushers handing out inserts, but I wasn't paying attention when I left. I do remember that when I was in the foyer before the play there was a small board with the cast listing and there were three names on the board - Daniels, Williams and another, but my memory is vague and others might be able to clarify if it was Sophie Ann Caruso. I only recall it because at the time I was surprised as I had thought it was just two in the cast.

Apr 6 2016, 12:14:19 AM

I saw this tonight and was amazed at how tight it was for only a second preview. The performances were great and I honestly couldn't say that any of them was more or less polished than any other. I liked Lange and thought there was a clear descent, in that the veneer dropped, as the play progressed.

The play was 3.45. Act 1 + 2 was 1 hour 30 minutes, intermission 15-20 and Act 3+4 just a tick under 2 hours. 

I was in H17. A decent enough seat. L

The Crucible previews
 Mar 30 2016, 01:48:58 AM

Saw this tonight and for the most part was thoroughly engaged. But I think that's down to Arthur Miller.

I thought Jim Norton and Bill Camp were excellent and Hinds was fine. I thought Whishaw was bland and Okonedo was not good, too passive, coming across as unaffected by the events, all events around her. The result was that there was little genuine, earned emotion in the final scene of the two of them together.

I was perplexed by Gevinson as at first I thought th

Lady Day HBO
 Mar 12 2016, 11:45:10 PM

I thought this thread might be about the annoying pop-up that pops-up every few seconds, especially in the BWW app.

Anyone else have this problem? Know how to turn it off? Or do I just have to wait until the show is over, and then wait for the next pop-up?

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You