News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for Musical Master

Musical Master Profile Photo
Member Name: Musical Master
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Universal's WICKED Film - News & Discussion Thread
 Jul 26 2024, 04:01:01 PM

Now that's how you do a TV spot! "Dancing Through Life", "One Short Day" and "Defying Gravity" looks like they're going to be huge visual highlights. Also, it's nice to see Ethan Slater and Marissa Bode getting clearer appearances for their roles in the promos.

Jul 24 2024, 11:42:59 PM

I love it when film promotions show how the look of the film was done. Not to mention heavy use of large-scale practical sets is very refreshing to see in an ocean of CGI settings in most effects heavy movies these days. All this effort for a two-parter movie musical; is going to be something to behold and Chu and the rest of the crew should deserve all the positive attention.

It could've been so easy for the studio to take the easy way out, but I'm personally happy they d

Jul 20 2024, 06:56:54 PM

TotallyEffed said: "BrodyFosse123 said: "Both parts were already filmed. To avoid continuity and scheduling issues bothparts were filmed as one film though they will be released separately."

It has nothing to do with continuity and everything to do with money. They weren't "filmed as one film," they just shot both parts back to back, similar to what Lord of the Rings did. Much more expensive to wrap a huge film like this and the

Jul 15 2024, 12:18:36 PM

Looking at the budgets for both films (Part One costed 145 million dollars and Part Two will cost 165 million dollars), Wicked as a whole, cost 310 million dollars to make. Is it my imagination or is this the most expensive movie musical adaptation of a Broadway musical of all time? Even Hello Dolly! back in 1969 cost 25 million dollars to make, and that was around 200 million in today's money.

I'm wondering if the humongous budget is one of the reas

Jun 20 2024, 11:09:00 PM

BrodyFosse123 said: "Musical Master said: "There was a TV spot last night during the Tony Awards. Didn't have any new footage, but there was a snippet of Ariana singing "Popular" and Cynthia singing the word "unlimited" both of which sounded really good."

"

There it is thanks! Ariana's "follow my lead" sounded nice, I can only imagine that she'll slay "Popular" in her sleep! cheeky

Jennifer Lopez to Star in KISS OF THE SPIDER WOMAN Film
 Jun 20 2024, 11:06:16 PM

The film has officially been wrapped as of a few days ago. With Lopez, this cast and rumors of the musical numbers being BIG, this might be a very good movie musical for Bill Condon. Dreamgirls was the last movie of his that I really enjoyed, hopefully Kiss of the Spider Woman will be really good.

Here's the Instagram post confirming this: https://www.instagram.com/iamtonatiuh/p/C8SazHEua48/?img_index=1

Jun 17 2024, 01:30:03 PM

There was a TV spot last night during the Tony Awards. Didn't have any new footage, but there was a snippet of Ariana singing "Popular" and Cynthia singing the word "unlimited" both of which sounded really good.

Jun 11 2024, 05:16:10 PM

I saw the movie in theaters, and I really enjoyed it quite a lot. Is it as fantastic and stunning as West Side Story 2021? Not really, there are some problems that keep it from being as great as that one. But I feel the good things about it does outweigh the negatives (like cutting the score in half, "I'm Here" starting as it does, and pacing issues here and there) like the fact that the musical numbers are all well staged, shot, and choreographed, imaginative dire

Jun 11 2024, 05:06:29 PM

Jeffrey Karasarides said: "As today marks the birthday of author L. Frank Baum, the first full length trailer has just debuted.

"

After looking at the trailer and the "Passion Project" featurette, I'm very excited for this! I really like the choice of director, cast, production, and it's very clear that like Spielberg's own West Side Story that everyone involved is going to give their 100 per

COLOR PURPLE movie musical currently in development
 Sep 20 2023, 06:58:12 PM

This was a movie that I was already excited for, but after seeing that special look, my expectations have risen considerably. It's quite interesting that Warner Bros is letting the movie keep its December release date alongside the upcoming movie musical Wonka as well. Especially after the news of Dune: Part Two getting pushed back to 2024.

I wonder if this is what they're going to push for awards consideration this year alongside Barbie.

Gattelli to direct and choreograph industry reading of FEMALE TROUBLES
 Sep 20 2023, 06:52:31 PM

"My parents are gonna be real sorry if I don't get them Cha Cha Heels. I asked and I better get!"

The 76th Annual Tony Award Nominations (2023)
 May 2 2023, 01:15:07 PM

First of all, Clarke getting snubbed is freaking ridiculous considering the praise she got. The two other surprises for me were Camelot getting in for a nomination for Best Revival of a Musical over Bob Fosse's Dancin' despite the clearly polarizing reviews it got. But I guess it's understandable considering that it is Lincoln Center Theater we're talking about. Second, was Sweeney Todd getting nominations for Best Choreography and Sound Design consi

Sorkin and Sher to revive CAMELOT for Broadway
 Apr 13 2023, 11:41:47 PM

Woah... These reviews are extremely mixed/divisive to say the least. Honestly, I agree that the Tony race is between Sweeney Todd and Parade at this point. I'm still seeing it in June to form my own opinion of it, but the reviews are keeping expectations in check.

SWEENEY TODD (2023) Reviews
 Mar 27 2023, 01:22:52 AM

Delighted by these very positive reviews tonight! I'm seeing this and Camelot in June so I'm very excited to see them both. 

SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting
 Mar 20 2023, 01:14:35 PM

For those complaining about how the set is too "minimalistic", just remember that the 1989 and 2006 revivals were extremely small in every sense of the word. Judging from pictures I've seen; Mimi Lien's set is more like Michael Yeargan's set design for The King and I, small but grand for what it's going for. Honestly, the fact that this revival has Jonathan Tunick's original 26-piece orchestra is what sold me for this production, the talented cast and cr

BOB FOSSE’S DANCIN’ Reviews
 Mar 20 2023, 01:04:28 PM

Call me pleasantly surprised by how good some of the reviews are, considering the cold reception it got in San Deigo. Maybe they got some of its rougher kinks worked out and improved it, not to mention the cast got a glowing reception which is always good. I agree that the NYT review is mixed but with positive things to say is far better than an "ouch". 

Maybe this might have some Tony Award chances after all; not as much as Sweeney Todd, Camelot, and <

Mar 19 2023, 02:34:19 PM

They both sound wonderful, I'm excited to see it June. One thing though, does Mrs. Lovett only have two outfits during the whole show? I wonder if the promo/Playbill outfits they had were only there for promotional purposes.

Sorkin and Sher to revive CAMELOT for Broadway
 Mar 16 2023, 02:47:24 PM

ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "I think the set photos are very attractive and emphasize the vast, stately loneliness of being in a castle that you don't necessarily want to be in."

I like that idea as well, and I think that's what Michael Yeargan was going for, similar to his work on The King and I in a way.

Mar 16 2023, 02:45:35 PM

MVintheheartland said: "I didn’t miss the whistle. To folks who still cling to the 1979 production, come on! As annoying as the folks commenting on every production of “Follies” as not as good as the original. Anyway, as a non-musician or vocalist, I loved the show and will go back, dammit. Now have to get another plane ticket."

I think the whistle is something that's used very effectively if done right and not spammed to no end like some produc

DANCIN' Previews
 Mar 15 2023, 02:52:58 AM

That's probably how I would feel if I saw it, a perfectly fine revival that is enjoyable for what it is. But considering the other big three musical revivals this season, this one is going to be eaten alive and sort of forgotten about.

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You