News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for mistermanifesto

mistermanifesto Profile Photo
Member Name: mistermanifesto
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Karen Olivo as Anjelica?  Jul 7 2016, 07:58:41 PM

gypsy101 said: "It spelled "Angelica."

"

*It's 

Broadway Bares?  Jun 20 2016, 11:58:29 AM

The first thing that came to mind was 3 people doing "The Schuyler Sisters" but maybe as a strip tease? "Twerk, twerk Angelica! Twerk, Twerk, Eliza...Eliza, i'm looking for a man who twerks!"

Wicked OFFICIALLY coming to theaters  Jun 17 2016, 04:28:40 PM

For some reason, I envisioned it as an animated film. Hopefully they don't go the James Franco's Oz route 

It's been 8 years since a GYPSY revival  Jun 7 2016, 12:40:00 PM

...do we need another Gypsy revival?

IN THE HEIGHTS film gets new life at Weinstein  Jun 1 2016, 01:58:49 PM

I could be wrong but being on a show as popular as Glee would make plenty of (younger) people recognize her name. 

IN THE HEIGHTS film gets new life at Weinstein  Jun 1 2016, 12:27:13 AM

I think Naya Rivera could probably be a good Vanessa. She has the voice and name recognition. 

Anthing Goes original production photos  May 22 2016, 09:50:35 AM

Maybe this is from the original production? Unless it's a theatre class, I doubt it would matter if it was actually the show as long as you've got Ethel Merman in it. I never found Ethel Merman to be particularly attractive, but I've never seen pictures so young of her. All I know is that this was 1930s-ish (which should be enough for the project) as long as you don't get pictures from the film in which she is older and with Frank Sinatra. 

Or you can just put pictures like this of Ethel Merman young and explain that there aren't any reliable pictures of the original production if no one can find them. 

Best Male Dramatic Solos  May 22 2016, 09:38:30 AM

"Make them Hear You"- RAGTIME

Broadway for Latinos  May 21 2016, 02:49:26 AM

I also agree with the whole Lin-Manuel Miranda thing. He was on Univision! I think it's just a  matter of showing that Broadway is a place worth going to (like the eminence it has with tourists). I don't know if a revival/revisal of Cole Porter's Mexican Hayride is going to make Latinos go to the theatre. It's a matter of appeal and awareness that it's something to see!

It's just a process, slowly but surely. But certainly a name like Jaime Camil (Jane the

Tony nom rants  May 3 2016, 12:14:51 PM

I don't know if Annaleigh Ashford should win a second Tony for playing a dog....

MTI stops licensing of West Side Story in North Carolina and Mississippi  May 1 2016, 08:54:41 PM

I understand 100% the whole "let's ban theatrical productions in places where religious freedom is put into law," but I wonder if it will actually do anything. Quite frankly, it's making the people (generally speaking) who are quite supportive of gay marriage suffer. I highly doubt high conservative members of office will be faxed by musicals and concerts being blocked. Maybe if it made any financial difference, then yeah.

In Georgia (where I live), it wasn't that

Favorite Hamilton songs?  Mar 18 2016, 03:50:40 PM

If I'm not mistaken, there are plenty of scores that repeat a motif like Evita and Ragtime. Hamilton is no different. Hamilton has several, but the songs each have their own melody. They are used appropriately like Non Stop is a perfect example... Eliza's "This could be enough?" and Angelica's "He will never be satisfied" while they are asking Alexander why he "writes like he's running out of time"

Lowest Female Song.  Mar 4 2016, 12:31:13 AM

Broadway has a current obsession with high belting, so I'm not really surprised. That isn't to say that they don't exist...well for men they are much more scarce. Most of Chita Rivera's songs are low  

Here are a few:

Hart to Heart from 9 TO 5

A Boy Like That from WEST SIDE STORY 

Ireland from LEGALLY BLONDE

I Know Where I've Been from HAIRSPRAY

Small World from GYPSY

The Apple Doesn't Fall Far from THE RINK (whi

Why does Lin Manuel Miranda star in his own work?  Feb 23 2016, 05:15:45 PM

Speaking of John Leguizamo, that's also why the only way he's been able to be on Broadway so many times was because he wrote and starred in his own plays with roles that he could cast himself. 

Why does Lin Manuel Miranda star in his own work?  Feb 23 2016, 05:06:36 PM

What I'm saying is that's how casting has been for a long time now on Broadway. I did not intend to say that LMM can only play Puerto Rican roles. Not at all. He can play latin roles, Jew roles, but I'm not talking about me. I can see him in different roles but the way Broadway has been casting, it doesn't seem like him. It's not me that's pigeonholing him. It's the industry. That's what he talks about in the video if you actually watched it

Why does Lin Manuel Miranda star in his own work?  Feb 23 2016, 03:06:19 PM

perfectlymarvelous said: "I wouldn't exactly compare Lin-Manuel to Raul Esparza...Raul himself has said that when he started in the business he was told to change his name because he didn't "look" Latino. Lin isn't white-passing and Raul definitely is. 

Why does any writer perform their own work? Because they want to, because they feel a connection to it that they want to express further. It's clear that Lin has a very deep p

Why does Lin Manuel Miranda star in his own work?  Feb 23 2016, 02:58:52 PM

Anakela said: "I have been searching and scanning YouTube for an interview LMM had where he talks about why he's in his plays. He mentioned that there were 3 roles specifically designated for Hispanic actors on Broadway: Paul San Marco in A CHORUS LINE, Bernardo in WSS and Cervantes in MAN OF LA MANCHA. He told the interviewer that he wasn't a good enough singer or dancer for Latinos, so he created shows where he could showcase Latino actors like himself."

Starts at 7:30ish:

Hip-hop and history blend for Broadway hit ‘Hamilton’"

Thank you so much! I hate paraphrasing when you can have a concrete answer to a question.

re: Jewish Broadway Stars  Feb 23 2016, 02:51:44 PM

Lindsay Mendez, Mandy Gonzalez and Andrea Burns are actually each half Jewish and half Latina!

Why does Lin Manuel Miranda star in his own work?  Feb 23 2016, 02:40:27 PM

newintown said: ""...there aren't many leading roles for a Puerto Rican."

To be realistic, he could easily be considered for any role Raul Esparza (of Cuban background) would be. It's not as though he reads as ultra-tropical. He played Charley Kringas in Merrily."

I don't know if this is what you are referring to, but the only thing that makes people think Raúl Esparza as Latino is

Wicked Brazil Company  Feb 18 2016, 08:48:40 PM

I really hope some original musicals from Brazil can transfer to Broadway (at Brazilian themed ones). It hasn't really been done before. The closest thing is a parody of "Girl from Ipanema" that Sondheim wrote under a false name

Saudações do Estados Unidos! 

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You