Wicked Brazil Company

RW3
#1Wicked Brazil Company
Posted: 1/17/16 at 11:57pm

Wicked is officially opening in Brazil. I believe they are opening on March 4th. Here are some videos from their press event.

Cast Announcement:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5L3T7-_ImQ

One Short Day:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISgRFX_A-8o

Cast Interviews:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWiYbz2vezg

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#2Wicked Brazil Company
Posted: 1/18/16 at 1:27am

It's going be one crazy 2016 for Brazil. First wicked and then the Olympics. Will it be the same set from the Mexico City production?

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

NewYorkVibes
#3Wicked Brazil Company
Posted: 1/18/16 at 2:57am

Was the Mexican set not a carbon copy o the Broadway set? For some reason I thought they were more or less the same design.

RaiseYouUp Profile Photo
RaiseYouUp
#4Wicked Brazil Company
Posted: 1/18/16 at 11:34am

They are the same design, but I think jorge meant the physical set from the Mexico City production.

rodrigo_ca
#5Wicked Brazil Company
Posted: 1/18/16 at 11:53am

Can you believe I was almost starting a new thread to ask if we'll be receiving the mexican set. Glad you did it first! I'm worried we'll get a scaled-down version, just like the US tours, without the lift for No Good Deed and etc - the company followed the pattern of the tour ones, without a Glinda stand-by, just one for Elphaba.

Anyway, is anyone interested in a translated back version of One Short Day? I could do that in my spare time.

evic
#6Wicked Brazil Company
Posted: 1/18/16 at 2:46pm

I watch many youtube videos of international productions of American musicals.  The Brazilians do it as well as Broadway.  The talent is amazing, they spend money on sets and costumes and their passion and love for the art is really heartwarming how they have embraced it.  The girl playing Elphaba was recently in their production of "Nine" as Saraghina.  She is gorgeous and sexy- unlike other women cast in that role who are usually robust.  They did a production of "Drowsey Chaperone" that was FREE admission.  I imagine the gov't. gave them a subsidy.  Their production of "Fiddler"- "Um VIolinista No Teljado" was absolutely stunning.  Check out Cena Musicals on YT if you want to see clips of the shows.  You will be impressed.

rodrigo_ca
#7Wicked Brazil Company
Posted: 1/18/16 at 4:02pm

Yes! That Drowsy Chaperone was subsidied by the "union" of the industries of Sao Paulo - intending to create public interested in musicals. It was directed and adapted by Miguel Falabella, a theatre genius.

After that there was also a production of Man of la Mancha, also with free admission, who played for something like nine months, also directed by Miguel Falabella and it was even more gorgeous. I saw it like 24 times. It also had a truly talented cast (Fabi Bang, who will play Glinda was part of the ensemble and understudy for Aldonza. Sara Sarres, who was just playing Christine in the Phantom world tour was Aldonza, Kiara Sasso, who previously did Belle was Antonia, and so on).

Such a shame they scrapped the project after Man of la Mancha. Annie was supposed to get a run as well.

Updated On: 1/18/16 at 04:02 PM

evic
#8Wicked Brazil Company
Posted: 1/18/16 at 5:55pm

Hey Rodrigo......that other Rodrigo-(Negrini)...in the chorus of many shows is one of the most handsome men I have ever seen.  And super talented.  And I adore Claudia Raia. And Alonso's choreography- brings the old grand choreography from the old genuises back to life.  He knows his stuff!  And Falabella is a genius- I love seeing him in clips....esp The Producers.  he seems like a great guy and he looks like he has a lot of fun on stage.  I wish i could see these productions live.  Hope to visit after the Olympics.  Maybe some good shows will be playing.

evic
#9Wicked Brazil Company
Posted: 1/18/16 at 5:58pm

Forgot to mention that the cast of Book Of Mormon was BRILLIANT!

SNAFU Profile Photo
SNAFU
#10Wicked Brazil Company
Posted: 1/18/16 at 6:38pm

The Mexican set was not a carbon copy of the Broadway set but closer to the traveling set. Yes, it is the same set that was used in Mexico.

Those Blocked: SueStorm. N2N Nate. Good riddence to stupid! Rad-Z, shill begone!

Call_me_jorge
#11Wicked Brazil Company
Posted: 1/18/16 at 7:00pm

^it still had elphaba come out of the floor for no good deed so I bet it was more of a carbon copy of the west end production.

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

rodrigo_ca
#12Wicked Brazil Company
Posted: 1/19/16 at 5:45pm

Call_me_jorge said: "^it still had elphaba come out of the floor for no good deed so I bet it was more of a carbon copy of the west end production."

Even so I strongly believe that Elphaba will not come out of the floor for NGD, as Renault Theatre is a "difficult" theatre. Even though it was completely rebuild inside in the begining of the 2000's, I have yet to see an elevator on the floor. They did Mamma Mia and The Lion King in there without it, so I bet Elphaba will just run across the stae, but I wanted to see a proper

Click Here To Toggle Spoiler Content

melting

oh well. Can someone tell me the more proeminent changes between the scenery in Broadway vs West End. Was the West End scenery based on the 1st NT?

Call_me_jorge
#13Wicked Brazil Company
Posted: 1/20/16 at 12:18am

Basically the only difference between the Broadway and west end sets are that there aren't any stairs for defying gravity on the west end. And basically every sit down production and tours, including the Mexico City production, have not included those stairs. Also to be more exact I should've said the Mexico City production was a carbon copy of the Chicago production, because that was the first ever sit down production and has set the precedent for wicked sit downs.

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#14Wicked Brazil Company
Posted: 1/20/16 at 12:20am

^ Just because I'm curious/haven't seen Wicked on a stage that isn't Broadway... How do Elphaba and Glinda enter for "Defying Gravity" in these other productions if not from up a below-stage staircase? From the wings? 

Call_me_jorge
#15Wicked Brazil Company
Posted: 1/20/16 at 12:21am

BroadwayConcierge said: "^ Just because I'm curious/haven't seen Wicked on a stage that isn't Broadway... How do Elphaba and Glinda enter for "Defying Gravity" in these other productions if not from up a below-stage staircase? From the wings? "

From the wings

broadwayguy2
#16Wicked Brazil Company
Posted: 1/20/16 at 1:00am

What would a trap door have to do with "properly" 'melting' an Elphaba?

An Elphaba has not melted through trap door in the better part of a decade. It is a projected effect. 

Do you mean when she reappears? Because well (pun chosen), that is a different matter entirely.

ViniFromBrazil
#17Wicked Brazil Company
Posted: 1/26/16 at 5:20pm

I'm still a little bit skeptical about this production, tbh. Didn't like the casting of Fiyero at all (2 actors because one of them is a soap opera """"""""star""""""" who can barely remember the lyrics on a video) and I just can't be sure of a musical adaptation quality in Brazil unless it's directed by Moeller & Botelho (Kiss Me Kate, Spring Awakening, Fiddler on the Roof among others). Don't really care about Miguel Falabella and Claudia Raia.

I think our original productions are better than Broadway adaptations, but it's quite exciting to see the book adaptations, I must say.

kadu335 Profile Photo
kadu335
#18Wicked Brazil Company
Posted: 2/17/16 at 11:54am

As opening day approaches, everything seems all set at the theatre...

Wicked Brazil Company

Here's a picture of the actors playing Elphaba, Glinda and Fiyero during rehearsals

Wicked Brazil Company

Art washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life.
Updated On: 2/17/16 at 11:54 AM

Call_me_jorge
#19Wicked Brazil Company
Posted: 2/17/16 at 12:29pm

That Fiyero is dreamy

kadu335 Profile Photo
kadu335
#20Wicked Brazil Company
Posted: 2/18/16 at 3:07pm

The Brazilian production has just released 4 promotional pictures from the cast as their characters...

- Myra Ruiz as Elphaba (Myra was last seen on stage in the musical NINE)

Wicked Brazil Company

- Fabi Bang as Glinda (Fabi was last seen on stage in the musical KISS ME KATE)

Wicked Brazil Company

Jonatas Faro as Fiyero (Jonatas was last seen on stage in the musical HAIRSPRAY)

Wicked Brazil Company

André Loddi as Fiyero [Alt.] (André was last seen on stage in the musical HOW TO SUCCEED IN BUSINESS WITHOUT REALLY TRYING)

Wicked Brazil Company

Updated On: 2/18/16 at 03:07 PM

Call_me_jorge
#21Wicked Brazil Company
Posted: 2/18/16 at 4:20pm

What about Fiyero that requires it to have 2 people alternate in the role? It's not really demanding.

kadu335 Profile Photo
kadu335
#22Wicked Brazil Company
Posted: 2/18/16 at 4:30pm

Call_Me_Jorge, I don't know really.  Faro is a popular tv actor and singer  and Loddi is mostly a musical theater actor... I guess they wanted a a name in the cast since their 2 leads are "unknown" theater actresses, I just don't get it why they would need an alternate. The only reason I can think of is if Faro has some other tv commitment that would prevent him from doing all performances and they didn't want to lose him.

rodrigo_ca
#23Wicked Brazil Company
Posted: 2/18/16 at 4:34pm

They said they couldn't choose between one and the other, so they decided to hire both for the part.

mistermanifesto Profile Photo
mistermanifesto
#24Wicked Brazil Company
Posted: 2/18/16 at 8:48pm

I really hope some original musicals from Brazil can transfer to Broadway (at Brazilian themed ones). It hasn't really been done before. The closest thing is a parody of "Girl from Ipanema" that Sondheim wrote under a false name

Saudações do Estados Unidos! 

Updated On: 2/18/16 at 08:48 PM

rodrigo_ca
#25Wicked Brazil Company
Posted: 2/19/16 at 6:41pm

Today, they revealed more photos and very short clips from the brazilian cast:

http://globoplay.globo.com/v/4824203/

http://cultura.estadao.com.br/noticias/teatro-e-danca,estado-acompanha-o-ensaio-do-musical-wicked,10000017129

The most interesting part of the Estadao article states that this is going to be the biggest set ever of Wicked, due to the size of the theatre. Can't wait!