News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for achancetofly

achancetofly Profile Photo
Member Name: achancetofly
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.
Profile: I'm a 19 year old girl living in Southern California, but going to UC Santa Cruz for college. I have been a fan of musical theatre since I was little and was first introduced to movie musicals such as Singin' in the Rain and others by my parents. I really got into theatre when I saw my junior high school's production of West Side Story. Since then, I've been hooked. I don't really know what I want to do with my life, but recently I have really been considering pursuing a career in theatre, because I love it so much. I would love to work in the production process, as a writer or producer, or whatnot. Perhaps even being a reviewer and writing a column or something. But in any case, I'm just enjoying the satisfaction I get right now from the shows that I love.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

re: 'Hairspray' in Finland Production Photos
 Jun 4 2007, 04:06:51 AM
The italian Edna Tonnarelli looks like Liam Kyle Sullivan in the "Muffins" video.

Hah, Mateo, you definitely aren't the only one who thought that.

I seriously looked at that and that was the FIRST thing that popped into my head.

re: Really Fun Broadway Songs
 May 14 2007, 09:08:04 PM
I absolutely love dancing around my room to "Sugar" from Tick Tick Boom...
re: Important plays to know...
 May 11 2007, 10:24:30 AM
I'm actually in a class right now on the development of Western theatre in the 19th and 20th century, and I'm LOVING a lot of stuff we're reading.

Really anything by Brecht (especially Caucasian Chalk Circle and Galileo) is just...amazing. Not to mention essential if you want to know the major theoretical ideas floating around the theatre at the time. In fact, if you want, read Antonin Artaud's "the Theater and its Double" if you want some great theories (completely opposite from Brecht

re: Spelling Bee VS Wicked
 Apr 23 2007, 12:41:26 PM
Go see the original cast of Spelling Bee. No contest. While I love Wicked, I felt myself a bit disappointed seeing the LA cast, as opposed to when I saw it on tour with Julia Murney.

Wicked will be around a long time (and in a bunch of locations), but you're really going to only get this one chance to see the original cast come back to Spelling Bee.

re: How to play a drunk...
 Feb 21 2007, 03:36:07 AM
I agree with those who have said not to act drunk, but act trying to show that you're sober.

Think about it. When you're drunk, most of your time is spent trying to convince both yourself and others that you aren't as drunk as you are, and that is usually what results in the things you find funny later (trying to stand up and wobbling). When you're drunk, you're trying to play off sobriety, so you really need to concentrate on that element of it while on stage.

re: Behind the Scenes: Getting Green with Wicked Leading Lady Julia Murney
 Feb 20 2007, 12:37:21 PM
Man, I flipped out when I saw this video was on Broadway.com

I didn't think I could love Julia any more than I already did....but I believe this video completely disproved that theory.

Is it bad that I spent most of that video scanning her dressing room for the few little trinkets I gave her at the stagedoor one time?

re: Shows that should get a second chance
 Feb 16 2007, 03:48:33 PM
I definitely agree with those who mentioned CHESS and LENNON.
re: Raul Esparza as Dr. Fronk-en-steen
 Feb 15 2007, 05:52:04 PM
Ahhh god, like everyone else on this thread, I am having SUCH a hard time deciding between Brian and Raul on this!

They're both in my top list of leading men, and god...I love Raul so much and he'd be amazing in the role, but when I first heard about the workshop cast, I was so so so so excited to hear that Brian would be Fronkensteen.

It just....clicked so much, and my head instantly went "PERFECT CASTING, PERFECT CASTING!"

And now...I really can't

You Know you're a B'way geek when...
 Feb 15 2007, 12:01:49 AM
Here's one from today...

When you're in a class on medieval women, and when your professor says something like "and the women would be responsible for taking the animals to market.."

and all you can hear in your head is "Listen well, son, Milky White must be taken to market" "But Mother, no! He's the best cow!"

And another one, we were talking about barbers in Victorian times...yeah that led pretty easily to thoughts about Sweeney.

re: Shows You Own More Than One Cast Recording or Soundtrack of
 Feb 12 2007, 01:14:58 AM
--42nd Street (OBCR, 2001 revival)
--A Chorus Line (OBCR, 2006 revival)
--Cabaret (OBCR, OST, 1998 revival)
--Chicago (OBCR, OST, 1995 revival)
--Evita (OBCR, OLCR)
--Guys and Dolls (OBCR, 1976 revival, 1992 revival)
--Hair (OST 20th anniversary, Actor's Fund benefit recording)
--Hedwig and the Angry Inch (OBCR, OST)
--Into the Woods (OBCR, OLCR)
--Kiss Me, Kate (OBCR, 1999 revival)
--Les Miserables (OBCR, OLCR, 10th anniversary concert recording)
--Li

Rob--Your going to spoil us rotten if you keep this kinda thing up!
 Feb 11 2007, 06:54:06 PM
Yeah, it goes without saying, but I couldn't resist.

re: Idea for iTunes and cast recordings + Wicked
 Feb 6 2007, 12:52:56 PM
Wow, I'm surprised this hasn't been deleted yet, considering the original poster mentioned that they had a bootleg...

re: How do *you* store your PLAYBILLs?
 Feb 4 2007, 02:37:31 PM
I have a few different things that I do with my Playbills.

For the playbills that I've collected, and are not actually from shows I've seen, I put in the Playbill binder with the plastic sleeves. It actually works perfectly, and since I'm in a dorm room and can't do a huge wall display, saves me lots of space.

For the playbills I've saved from shows I've seen, however, I have a scrapbook that I started last year for my theatre experiences.

For each time I went to

re: How do *you* store your PLAYBILLs?
 Feb 3 2007, 03:19:02 PM
Going along with this topic, does anyone have any suggestions for storing older playbills?

I have a few vintage playbills (Gypsy, Funny Girl, etc.), and because they are a different size than playbills with the contemporary design, they do not fit in either the plastic sleeves that go along with the Playbill binder or the Playbill frame.

Are there any binders specifically made for these vintage playbills?

re: Broadway Bears X
 Jan 25 2007, 07:34:34 PM
I have to say that the Leaf Coneybear one is possibly THE cutest thing I've ever seen.

The Black Knight is also freakin' hilarious.

re: The Official Musical Episode Of Scrubs Is Already Very Funny Thread
 Jan 20 2007, 02:04:02 PM
Sorry, double post.
re: The Official Musical Episode Of Scrubs Is Already Very Funny Thread
 Jan 20 2007, 02:03:57 PM
Actually, there's a pretty funny interview with Bill Lawrence, the creator of Scrubs, about the musical episode, in which it says a little about Sarah Chalke. I definitely giggled a bit after reading this, having seen Sarah perform in the episode.

http://community.tvguide.com/thread.jspa?threadID=800004844

re: broadway posters
 Jan 14 2007, 05:37:05 PM
www.usethesearchfeature.com
re: Reefer Madness Cast/Soundtrack Recording!
 Jan 12 2007, 01:09:55 PM
I believe that there was a professional-style recording made, but it was never officially released. Shame, too. The movie's so wonderful. Gotta love me some Ana singing "The Stuff".
re: Julia Murney ....... soprano?
 Jan 6 2007, 05:28:41 AM
I'm not sure what she's officially considered, but I know the woman has an INCREDIBLE range. She does a lot of stuff in the soprano range, but then she can completely turn around and BLOW YOU AWAY with some really low songs (i.e. a lot of stuff on her solo album).

I think her insane range is one of the things that make her such an amazing performer. She has very little limits.

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You