Important plays to know...

galindagirl2 Profile Photo
galindagirl2
#1Important plays to know...
Posted: 5/10/07 at 2:53pm

Hi everyone!

I'm somewhat well-read when it comes to musicals, but I'm embarrassingly uninformed when it comes to plays.
This summer, I hope to expand my knowledge. What would you say are the "biggies" that I should be familiar with? (...or, of course, any specifics that you highly recommend?)

Thanks a bunch!
God Bless,
Galindagirl2

ggersten Profile Photo
ggersten
#2re: Important plays to know...
Posted: 5/10/07 at 3:14pm

You're going to have to narrow your inquiry a bit. Plays go back, oh, two thousand years or so, if we're going to Aristophenes and friends.
Then there are "important" and then there are "defining" then there just are "great".
And do you want dramas, comedies, tragedies -
English language? russian? japanese? french?

SugarBabyBounce Profile Photo
SugarBabyBounce
#2re: Important plays to know...
Posted: 5/10/07 at 3:59pm

Death of a Salesman
Stage Door
Suddenly Last Summer
The Iceman Cometh
Brighton Beach Memoirs
Picnic
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tony_Award_for_Best_Play

Borstalboy Profile Photo
Borstalboy
#3re: Important plays to know...
Posted: 5/10/07 at 4:04pm

Start with Tennessee Williams and move forward...STREETCAR, GLASS MENAGERIE.

"Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing.” ~ Muhammad Ali

folkyboy Profile Photo
folkyboy
#4re: Important plays to know...
Posted: 5/10/07 at 4:11pm

i have to agree with Tennessee Williams. almost anything he's done is amazing...

colleen_lee
#5re: Important plays to know...
Posted: 5/10/07 at 4:19pm

Also, if you can, find a play reading group in your area. That will broaden your knowledge and collection very quickly!

"You just can't win. Ever. Look at the bright side, at least you are not stuck in First Wives Club: The Musical. That would really suck. " --Sueleen Gay

Weez Profile Photo
Weez
#6re: Important plays to know...
Posted: 5/10/07 at 4:23pm

Please read 'The Goat, Or Who Is Sylvia?' by Edward Albee. It's one of my favourites; twisted, but darkly hilarious. I expect one could consider his 'Who's Afraid Of Virginia Woolf?' something of an essential as well. Also Peter Shaffer's 'Amadeus'. I've been trying to expand my play knowledge lately; I started with plays I'd seen, and just went from there.

manderson05
#7re: Important plays to know...
Posted: 5/10/07 at 4:23pm

Long Day's Journey Into Night... in my opinion the best play in american drama

galindagirl2 Profile Photo
galindagirl2
#8re: Important plays to know...
Posted: 5/10/07 at 4:33pm

Thanks so much, guys! Keep 'em coming!

Alright ggersten, I would say "All of the above", but I don't think that would satisfy you. What are you the most well-read in?

raphael06 Profile Photo
raphael06
#9re: Important plays to know...
Posted: 5/10/07 at 4:39pm

Just start reading like crazy! Make it a goal to read a play or two every week.

Obvoiusly start with the big ones such as Williams, Eugene O'Neil, William Inge, Shakespeare, etc.

"I chose and my world was shaken. So what? The choice may have been mistaken. The choosing was not."-Sunday in the Park with George

gonnapassmealaw
#10re: Important plays to know...
Posted: 5/10/07 at 4:41pm

Don't forget Hansberry (Raisin in the Sun AND To Be Young, Gifted and Black) and the August Wilson cycle.

ILoveMyDictionary Profile Photo
ILoveMyDictionary
#11re: Important plays to know...
Posted: 5/10/07 at 4:41pm

Shakespeare of course
Our Town
A Dolls House
Glengarry Glen Ross (not sure if I spelled that right)
And anytihng by Tennessee Williams, and Neil Simon.

WOSQ
#12re: Important plays to know...
Posted: 5/10/07 at 4:46pm

Get an almanac.

Go to the lists of winners for Pulitzer Prizes for Drama, the NY Drama Critics Circle and the Tony Award. Often they are different.

Start reading. Go with plays you know or have heard of.

You will then find other plays by prize-winning writers and then look at these collateral plays.

Yes, there are "important plays to know" and there are lots of them. There are other plays that are fun to know about as well. The ones that may have run a season (or two) and are virtually forgotten now. Some important plays were justifiable failures. I read two late plays by William Inge that had none of his earlier sensitivity and memorable characters. My 'job' while reading those was to figure out why they didn't work. In that way all plays can be important.

Moss Hart (playwright, director and husband of the recently-late Kitty Carlisle Hart) said, "Nobody learns anything from a hit." and he had a point.

Used bookstores are a treasure trove of anthologies which were all the rage in the 40s-50s-60s and into the 70s. Buy one for a couple of the plays and then discover the other scripts that are also included.

"If my life weren't funny, it would just be true. And that would be unacceptable." --Carrie Fisher

Gothampc
#13re: Important plays to know...
Posted: 5/10/07 at 4:46pm

"You're going to have to narrow your inquiry a bit. Plays go back, oh, two thousand years or so, if we're going to Aristophenes and friends."

I'm sure that Aeschylus, who was writing in 472 BC, appreciates your non-acknowledgment. LOL

If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.

Gothampc
#14re: Important plays to know...
Posted: 5/10/07 at 4:52pm

"What would you say are the "biggies" that I should be familiar with?"

The Cherry Orchard
A Doll's House
The Glass Menagerie
A Streetcar Named Desire
Death of a Salesman
The Crucible
Long Day's Journey Into Night
Picnic
Bus Stop
Crimes of the Heart
Tartuffe
Romeo & Juliet
Charley's Aunt
Arsenic & Old Lace
The House of Blue Leaves
The Odd Couple
Barefoot in the Park
Plaza Suite
Waiting for Godot
Who's Afraid of Virginia Wolf

If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.

ahmelie Profile Photo
ahmelie
#15re: Important plays to know...
Posted: 5/10/07 at 4:56pm

The Iceman Cometh, A Doll's House, A Streetcar Named Desire, and Death of a Salesmen were the first to come to my mind.

Theatre is a safe place to do the unsafe things that need to be done. -John Patrick Shanley

Tchi4Lif188 Profile Photo
Tchi4Lif188
#16re: Important plays to know...
Posted: 5/10/07 at 4:58pm

"Night of The Iguana" by Tennessee Williams!!

"Wishes come true, not free..."

Gothampc
#17re: Important plays to know...
Posted: 5/10/07 at 4:59pm

Since you know the musicals, you might want to read their counterparts if you have a good public library:

My Fair Lady - Pygmalion

Oklahoma - Green Grow the Lilacs

Carousel - Lilliom

West Side Story - Romeo & Juliet

Cabaret - I Am A Camera

Updated On: 5/10/07 at 04:59 PM

BigFatBlonde Profile Photo
BigFatBlonde
#18re: Important plays to know...
Posted: 5/10/07 at 5:03pm

Mrs. Warren's Profession - Shaw

Arms and the Man - Shaw

What great ones do the less will prattle of

avab802 Profile Photo
avab802
#19re: Important plays to know...
Posted: 5/10/07 at 5:17pm

Many of the plays that came to my mind have been mentioned already. The only other one I can think of right now is Angels in America.

SeanMartin Profile Photo
SeanMartin
#20re: Important plays to know...
Posted: 5/10/07 at 9:53pm

Gee, guys, you know, we had theatre before 1900 and outside the US.

OEDIPUS REX and ANTIGONE
LYSISTRATA
MEDEA
THE TROJAN WOMEN
Lots of stuff by that guy Plautus
EVERYMAN
GAMMER GURTEN'S NEEDLE
SECOND SHEPHERD'S PLAY
THE RIVALS
SCHOOL FOR SCANDAL
THE CRITIC (and its counterpart, THE REHEARSAL)
Just about *anything* by that guy Bill Shakespeare
TIS PITY SHE'S A WHORE
FAUST (Goethe's version, not the opera)
WILHELM TELL
THE MASTER BUILDER
Just about *anything* by that guy George Feydeau

I mean, c'mon. Theatre did not begin with Williams, who, IMHO, is a bit overrated save for GLASS MENAGERIE and maybe (but only maybe) STREETCAR NAMED DESIRE. There's a whole wealth of drama out there, strtching across borders and back as far in time as you can possibly imagine.

http://docandraider.com

ghostlight2
#21re: Important plays to know...
Posted: 5/11/07 at 12:50am

Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead - Tom Stoppard

OtherDaryl Profile Photo
OtherDaryl
#22re: Important plays to know...
Posted: 5/11/07 at 9:30am

Hie thee to your local library (I know - nobody goes to the library anymore) and check out the Burns Mantle Best Plays Annuals. While they are mostly abridged or synopsized versions of the plays, a quick browse through any given year may find you interested in something you might not otherwise approach.

Also - pick up the collected works of Oscar Wilde - it never hurt anyone to become familiar with Earnest or Salome.

"Love Life. Live." Michael Bennett
Updated On: 5/11/07 at 09:30 AM

achancetofly Profile Photo
achancetofly
#23re: Important plays to know...
Posted: 5/11/07 at 10:24am

I'm actually in a class right now on the development of Western theatre in the 19th and 20th century, and I'm LOVING a lot of stuff we're reading.

Really anything by Brecht (especially Caucasian Chalk Circle and Galileo) is just...amazing. Not to mention essential if you want to know the major theoretical ideas floating around the theatre at the time. In fact, if you want, read Antonin Artaud's "the Theater and its Double" if you want some great theories (completely opposite from Brecht's) on theatre.

I'd also suggest some Tennessee Williams, as others have. Not to mention Tony Kushner (Angels in America).

If you don't mind reading older plays (as in 19th century), I'd suggest "Spring's Awakening" by Frank Wedekind, "Woyzeck" by Georg Buchner (that one is especially haunting), and "The Ghost Sonata" by August Strindberg.

Have fun!

"Cages or wings, which do you prefer?"-- Tick, Tick...BOOM!

Videos