News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for Karen Cartwright

Karen Cartwright Profile Photo
Member Name: Karen Cartwright
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Worst broadway shows you've seen
 Aug 18 2014, 11:11:30 PM
Recently, I'll go with "Gentleman's Guide". I thought the staging, the set, the acting and the book were fine - but the music was SUCH a snooze for me. I couldn't remember a single song when I left the theatre.

Take the music out of it, and it would have been a stellar play. But as a musical? Yawn.

I'll throw in "Titanic" and "Martin Guerre". That said, I did like "Side Show" and "The Life", so what do I know?

What is your career/major
 Aug 18 2014, 10:56:02 PM
"My family always expected me to become a great star. I had ten years of dramatic lessons, diction, dancing, everything you can think of; and then the studio made a test."

So, I got a B.A. and M.A. in Economics.

Spent 12 years as a sports journalist before becoming VP of Marketing and Business Development for a women's fashion retailer.

Go figure.

Souvenir cups from the bars...?
 Aug 18 2014, 10:48:29 PM
Don't have Wonderland, but I always keep all of my cups from shows - even the generic theatre ones.

I know that the Shubert Theatres give you a drink discount if you bring the cup back (I only discovered this on a day when I did a matinee-evening doubleheader at Shubert theatres) and it saved me $3 on my glass of wine.

So, if anyone would like any of these, I'd be happy to send them to you. I have quite a few show-specific cups from the last three seasons too, though my littles

Bull Durham Headed to Broadway!
 May 13 2014, 11:31:08 PM
Ugh. This feels like a very terrible idea.
Aladdin seating.
 May 13 2014, 11:24:59 PM
I went to "Aladdin" on the day of, about three hours before showtime (before lottery time) and bought a partial view ticket for $49. It was balcony front row, far right.

The box in front blocked part of the stage - but honestly, it didn't bother me at all. Plus, I was on the aisle and liked the leg room.

From now on, I'll always go to the box office to buy something instead of other avenues. I got so many last-minute tickets in great locations at awesome prices, I don't know w

Help Out A Big Guy looking for seat sizes?
 May 13 2014, 11:18:54 PM
Having just been to shows with a guy of similar size in the past week - you will be uncomfortable at the Kerr. We had Row L in orchestra and my pal ended up swapping his seat with someone in standing room because he was so miserable.

Same for the Longacre ("Of Mice and Men"). "After Midnight" and "All the Way" were slightly better. He was most comfortable at Circle in the Square for "Lady Day".

What's the most you'll spend ...
 May 1 2014, 09:15:58 PM
Thanks, Kad. I appreciate it.

Maybe I'll just take the opportunity to go see "Here Lies Love" or "Sleep No More" instead.

May 1 2014, 08:41:58 PM
The "cost-effective" part was a joke.

I was given my Circle Club seat to "Lady Day" as a birthday present, and that's probably the most that I've ever paid for (or had a person pay for) a ticket to any show.

The other shows, I've bought tickets for <$70 and the remaining three, I plan to rush or TodayTix and see what I get.

May 1 2014, 08:32:04 PM
See - I'm not SUPER interested in "Hedwig", but I'd hate to miss out on something that could be "once in a lifetime".

I got talked into SRO last year for "Motown" (yeah, I'm an idiot) - and I swore never again. But thanks for the suggestion - maybe I will do that if I can't make up my mind.

May 1 2014, 08:23:25 PM
On a ticket to a show?

I suddenly have a hole in my theatre schedule for my trip next week/weekend and I'm trying to decide what to see.

StubHub is asking over $300 for "Hedwig" balcony seats for a sold-out show. "Cabaret" is a little more cost-effective at $173 for a rear-mezz seat.

So. What's the most you'll spend over face for a ticket? And what would you need to justify it?

(Also - help? What should I see?)

Today Tix app
 May 1 2014, 12:13:33 AM
Should I SHOULD use it instead of bothering to get up early to rush or wait in line at TKTS?
Why is Wicked that popular?
 May 1 2014, 12:12:43 AM
A little bit more - and I think it's mostly because for the average theater-goer, this season is "lackluster". The gals and I usually travel together in the summer (they're educators, so it's the easiest) - but there was nothing that the collective wanted to see, so we're postponing until holiday season.

Me? I'm lucky enough to visit multiple times a year, so I try to see as many of the Tony nominees as I can. I have tickets to "All the Way", "Lady Day", "Of Mice and Men", "If/Then" and

Why is Wicked that popular?
 May 1 2014, 12:01:41 AM
I take a yearly trip to New York with the same group of girlfriends - and every year, the same five girls (of the nine) always have to see "Wicked", regardless of how many times they've seen it touring through our state.

The only time I've convinced them otherwise was "Newsies".

I appreciate "Wicked" for what it is - a spectacle that will be an immensely enjoyable experience for a novice theater-goer. I have no ill-will towards long-running, money-making shows like "Wicked", "

Today Tix app
 Apr 30 2014, 11:20:59 PM
Hmmmm ... was planning to rush a couple of shows next weekend to fill out my trip (After Midnight, Gentleman's ... maybe Bullets). Wondering if I should just save myself the whole waking up early thing and do this instead?
Chenoweth hints at DOLLY revival?
 Apr 15 2014, 03:37:29 AM
Gee. What's next. Cheno as Norma Desmond? She really is trying to keep herself relevant. Maybe she should try to attach herself to Lea Michele and the whole Glee/Funny Girl bit while she's at it.
Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/13/14
 Apr 15 2014, 03:32:29 AM
Again, just one lady's opinion. I know people around these parts love Sutton.
 Apr 15 2014, 03:16:21 AM
She "was a beating" in it was hard to watch her act and attempt to be funny.
Have you seen a show in every Broadway house?
 Apr 15 2014, 02:50:52 AM
I'm just missing the Majestic, Friedman and Jacobs.

I will say I'm surprised at the number of people missing the Minskoff! Maybe that explains the lack of love for "Sunset Boulevard".

Apr 15 2014, 01:44:55 AM
Re: Sutton Foster.

I saw her in Millie and Anything Goes and liked her fine. But then I made the mistake of watching "Bunheads", and man - she was SUCH a beating. She's not a draw for me as a twice-a-year or so NYC visitor.

Lady Day Previews
 Apr 11 2014, 01:13:30 PM
I was feeling pretty "meh" about show choices for my upcoming May trip until I started reading this thread. I'm SO glad I grabbed a ticket for Lady Day - just wish I could have justified splurging on Circle Club.

Can't wait! I big puffy <3 Audra.

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You